Jack Nevada

Best director 2012

Though it is odd it is not on his picture predictions....I could see a film being nominated for director without picture. Remember some films like "Short Cuts" got one nomination and nothing else so there is one it could of happened to if there were 10 at the time.

I know the answer is obvious because they have their own category, but why don't directors win the award for BP? It's like for producers.

Because the producers are responsible for getting the movie financed and made. So even though the film isn't necessarily their vision (assuming we're not talking about a director who is also credited as a producer), they did the work necessary for getting the film made in the first place.However, things get stranger in the Animated Feature category, where the award does go to the director.

I know the answer is obvious because they have their own category, but why don't directors win the award for BP? It's like for producers.

Well technically, the Producers are supposed to be the ultimate force behind driving a picture so they're getting rewarded that way. It stems I think from the Studio system of Hollywood, when the studios used to get the Oscars back when the studios controlled the entirety of Hollywood's direction, and were huge behind financing and getting pictures and projects of the ground. Edited by riczhang

PTA is in or it`ll be a huge scandal. His movie is best reviewed of the year so far and no small amount of praised is heaped on directing.

No it isn't.Beasts of the Southern Wild beats it in both RT percentage/avg. rating (86, 8.3 vs. 85, 8.0) and in Metacritic score (86 vs. 85).Looper beats it in RT percentage/avg. rating (93, 8.1 vs. 85, 8.0) and is just 1 point behind in Metacritic score (84 vs. 85).Moonrise Kingdom beats it in RT percentage/avg. rating (94, 8.1 vs. 85, 8.0) and is just 1 point behind in Metacritic score (84 vs. 85).A couple major awards contenders also beat it in both areas but they're unreleased so the sample size is small.

PTA is in or it`ll be a huge scandal. His movie is best reviewed of the year so far and no small amount of praised is heaped on directing.

PTA's new film is divisive, to many it is the best film of the year, or near the top, but to equally nearly as many, it's shit, or it's just simply ordinary. That number in the academy will be reversed, and even more polarised. I expect the vast majority to hate it, or simply be indifferent, and the passionate support group it has will get it a BP nomination under the new rule, but BD is on the rocks.

PTA's new film is divisive, to many it is the best film of the year, or near the top, but to equally nearly as many, it's shit, or it's just simply ordinary. That number in the academy will be reversed, and even more polarised. I expect the vast majority to hate it, or simply be indifferent, and the passionate support group it has will get it a BP nomination under the new rule, but BD is on the rocks.

It's funny you say that. I still have him in my five but I've had my first doubts about him in the past few days. Ultimately, his high status and pure greatness of the filmmaking probably makes him hard to ignore.