Neo

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets | July 21, 2017 | FLOP OF THE YEAR

8 hours ago, Telemachos said:

I'll give my little mini-review here, spoiler-tagged so people can avoid if they wanna stay fresh (I'm not really gonna get into spoilers much, though).

Hide contents

It's a vibrant, fun, sassy movie with great visuals and great 3D. See it on the biggest screen you can find. Like most of Besson's stuff, it's a bit clunky in spots but that's part of the charm. Thematically it feels very much like the 60s/70s groovy sci-fi that it came from, though ironically (and sadly) these themes are now completely topical again. Shares more than a bit of DNA with AVATAR thematically (and visually as well). I liked the fact Besson knows how goofy and absurd this all is, and isn't afraid to wink at the material sometimes. But, like he always is, he gets sincere and cornball during the big emotional moments -- and they work despite this (or because of it). The DeHaanvingne duo are a lot of fun, Clive Owens is around more than you might expect, Rihanna is cool, and Ethan Hawke is a hoot.

Did I mention it's sensationally beautiful?

:wub:

Does Ethan Hawke's character have shades of Chris Tucker in The Fifth Element, as some early buzz said he did? Cause weird and flamboyant Ethan would be awesome.

Edited by Arlborn
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

:wub:

Does Ethan Hawke's character have shades of Chris Tucker in The Fifth Element, as some early buzz said he did? Cause weird and flamboyant Ethan would be awesome.

He's not as wildly absurdly over the top, but he's certainly weird and flamboyant for him.

(minor spoilers about his character)

Ethan Hawke, space pimp.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

He's not as wildly absurdly over the top, but he's certainly weird and flamboyant for him.

(minor spoilers about his character)

Hide contents

Ethan Hawke, space pimp.

Aw damn, Ethan Hawke just said he's only a cameo in an interview :sadben:  http://collider.com/ethan-hawke-maudie-valerian-interview/#blaze-luc-besson

Spoiler

How were John Goodman and Rutger Hauer? Don't go in depth on their characters though.

Edited by WrathOfHan

4 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

Reveal hidden contents

Hauer -- cameo. Still great to see him. Goodman...? He was in this? I'd have to guess at who he provided the voice for.

:rofl: 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Telemachos said:

I'll give my little mini-review here, spoiler-tagged so people can avoid if they wanna stay fresh (I'm not really gonna get into spoilers much, though).

Hide contents

It's a vibrant, fun, sassy movie with great visuals and great 3D. See it on the biggest screen you can find. Like most of Besson's stuff, it's a bit clunky in spots but that's part of the charm. Thematically it feels very much like the 60s/70s groovy sci-fi that it came from, though ironically (and sadly) these themes are now completely topical again. Shares more than a bit of DNA with AVATAR thematically (and visually as well). I liked the fact Besson knows how goofy and absurd this all is, and isn't afraid to wink at the material sometimes. But, like he always is, he gets sincere and cornball during the big emotional moments -- and they work despite this (or because of it). The DeHaanvingne duo are a lot of fun, Clive Owens is around more than you might expect, Rihanna is cool, and Ethan Hawke is a hoot.

Did I mention it's sensationally beautiful?

50 m OW confirmed. 

TELE LAW!

Edited by grey ghost
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, antovolk said:

so um....

Given the early positive social reactions - really really weird

Maybe its a Wonder Woman situation, where the embargo will change based off of early positive reactions?