Neo

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets | July 21, 2017 | FLOP OF THE YEAR

Just now, KevinPr said:

Fast 7 has $190mil budget. Valerian's budget is higher.

That is the rumored net budget I think, has a Georgia production it got a nice tax break, Abu Dhabi has a really good one also.

3 hours ago, filmlover said:

Tele needs help getting up and down the stairs since he needs to leave his walker at the bottom of the theater.

How old is this guy, really?

Is it true that he saw Lawrence of Arabia when it opened in the early 60ies - in a Drive-in theatre to celebrate getting his driving license?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, shayhiri said:

Is it true that he saw Lawrence of Arabia when it opened in the early 60ies - in a Drive-in theatre to celebrate getting his driving license?

Tele has no age. He transcends time and space.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, shayhiri said:

Lawrence of Arabia was based off of Tele's life story back in the day. Why do you think he goes by Tele? Because he's actually Thomas Edward Lawrence aka Tele 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Nova said:

Lawrence of Arabia was based off of Tele's life story back in the day. Why do you think he goes by Tele? Because he's actually Thomas Edward Lawrence aka Tele 

I can't say I didn't suspect that...

Everything makes so much more sense now!

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Barnack said:

That settle that one.

Guillermo del Toro on Pacific Rim then ? That had a rumored 190m net budget.

Wait! So, do you think that 225m is still gross budget? If you say that, then it might be between 200m-210m net budget, but it still beats the Pacific Rim's net budget.

27 minutes ago, KevinPr said:

Wait! So, do you think that 225m is still gross budget? If you say that, then it might be between 200m-210m net budget, but it still beats the Pacific Rim's net budget.

I'm pretty sure that the 197.4m euro is the gross budget yes.

In US dollar the average euro the US was since january 2016:

https://www.oanda.com/currency/average

2016 1.10675 1.10710
*2017 1.06635 1.06671

Making the budget in US around 214 to 219 ishhh depending of when the money was spent, I'm not sure if we can really use today exchange rate to convert past expense, better use what it was for most of the spending.

Now how much will it get in tax credit, animation movie tax credit has a 30% rate but they never get all expense available for it (it will not be 60 million) or even have a maximum cap in place, when it was planned to be a 180m US production it was apparently eligible to get 30 million in Euro reduction under that new law they made just for that movie:

http://www.screendaily.com/news/luc-bessons-valerian-begins-paris-shoot/5098553.article

But local non-French language productions with a strong special-effects element have now been given the same status as feature-length animation films, so these too can qualify for the 30% credit - a modification rushed through at the end of 2015 to meet Besson’s requirements.

As a result, Valerian is eligible as a French film and could benefit from up to $34m (€30m) in savings while creating around 1,000 jobs.

Say it got around that 30 million Euro in saving (considering it did cost way above 180m that would be logical) and say that under the french system you get money not a tax credit you need to sell or that is company can use all of it, that will make it a 167.4m Euro net budget, a 178 to 185 isshh million US net movie. If they need to sell those tax credit, then they would be less efficient but they should still get 85-90 cent on the dollar.

For example Besson last movie, Lucy had 45.445m Euro gross budget according to the same document year's ago, that  is about 60 million US at the time.

http://www.cnc.fr/web/fr/publications?p_p_auth=9PDUy05y&p_p_id=20&p_p_lifecycle=1&p_p_state=exclusive&p_p_mode=view&p_p_col_id=column-1&p_p_col_pos=1&p_p_col_count=2&_20_struts_action=%2Fdocument_library%2Fget_file&_20_folderId=8411273&_20_name=DLFE-22907.pdf

The net production budget throw around by the trade was 40m US (not saying they were right in their estimate, they were probably not, but that would show that the devis number in the CNC is the gross budget and that the net after incentive could be significantly lower)

Edit: After a quick read of the tax credit rules in France:

Le plafond de crédit d’impôt a en outre été augmenté, passant de 4 M€ à 30 M€.

It is 30m maximum for Valerian, so it would not be more than that because the movie did cost more than expected.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Spaghetti of 1000 Planets said:

@Telemachos and @Water Bottle, how was Desplat's score?!

2 hours ago, 4815162342 said:

@Telemachos @Water Bottle

How was Desplat's score?

Parts seemed nice but typical of the genre; there were a couple of moments where I really liked stuff he did. Sorry to be vague but I wasn't really trying to track every cue. There weren't any tracks that just leaped out at me as amazing, but maybe they will when I pay more attention. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

Parts seemed nice but typical of the genre; there were a couple of moments where I really liked stuff he did. Sorry to be vague but I wasn't really trying to track every cue. There weren't any tracks that just leaped out at me as amazing, but maybe they will when I pay more attention. 

Does the Gangsta's Paradise moody cover from the trailer make an appearance in the film?

I'll give my little mini-review here, spoiler-tagged so people can avoid if they wanna stay fresh (I'm not really gonna get into spoilers much, though).

It's a vibrant, fun, sassy movie with great visuals and great 3D. See it on the biggest screen you can find. Like most of Besson's stuff, it's a bit clunky in spots but that's part of the charm. Thematically it feels very much like the 60s/70s groovy sci-fi that it came from, though ironically (and sadly) these themes are now completely topical again. Shares more than a bit of DNA with AVATAR thematically (and visually as well). I liked the fact Besson knows how goofy and absurd this all is, and isn't afraid to wink at the material sometimes. But, like he always is, he gets sincere and cornball during the big emotional moments -- and they work despite this (or because of it). The DeHaanvingne duo are a lot of fun, Clive Owens is around more than you might expect, Rihanna is cool, and Ethan Hawke is a hoot.

Did I mention it's sensationally beautiful?

• Like 14

2 hours ago, Nova said:

He also invented the Telegraph, Telephone and Television.  They're in his name!

• Like 5