Neo

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets | July 21, 2017 | FLOP OF THE YEAR

50 minutes ago, MikeQ said:

I discovered this little nugget at the end of a Deadline article:

http://deadline.com/2017/07/war-for-the-planet-of-the-apes-box-office-forecast-sumer-franchise-fatigue-1202123662/

As much as I hate to say it, early tracking (at least according to Deadline) doesn't look good for Valerian...

Peace,

Mike

RIP, my summer game.

That's what I get for having faith in audiences to support psychedelic sci fi.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, MikeQ said:

http://deadline.com/2017/07/war-for-the-planet-of-the-apes-box-office-forecast-sumer-franchise-fatigue-1202123662/

As much as I hate to say it, early tracking (at least according to Deadline) doesn't look good for Valerian...

Peace,

Mike

20M seems too high for Valerian, I was thinking like 10M.

54 minutes ago, MikeQ said:

Peace,

Mike

WW also had early tracking at 65M.

There's still two weeks left to go.

• Like 4

sigh....I was hoping it to at least be 30M. So that it can manage to get a Pacific Rim type opening weekend...but...bombs away. Depressing.

Stx is trying hard, but it has been a messy marketing. 

I still don't understand why Luc couldn't hire some known leads. I mean common...dammit. It would be extremely sad if a film made with such passion and love goes completely unnoticed in North America. Frankly, I am not too sure about its prospects in overseas markets. I am thinking 250M OS and 70M dom. Releasing in the same month as Spiderman, Apes 3 and Dunkirk is going to hurt it big time. The audience worldwide can spend only so much in a month. 

@Telemachos the TELE LAW strikes. @Water Bottle @That One Guy

Edited by marveldcfox
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

WW also had early tracking at 65M.

There's still two weeks left to go.

Absolutely. The potential for growth is there. The early twitter reactions from critics suggest reviews will be generally favourable, I think, though its hard to know with twitter reactions. If lots of reviews praise the incredible visual experience and that it is a must see on the big screen, buzz could ramp up in the week before. If that $20M can be bumped up to $30M, and the film ends up being a crowd pleaser and legs it out to $100 million, with hundreds of millions made overseas, it will have done well, all things considered. 

Would love to see both Dunkirk and Valerian have some nice leggy runs through August - that would be fun to follow.

Peace,

Mike

• Like 5

I just want a respectable opening like 35+ so that it can have a chance of 100+. If garbage like IDR and okay but nothing special Tarzan can do it then please american folks rise up to the occasion. I mean you elected Trump for god sake...redeem yourself. 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

I just want a respectable opening like 35+ so that it can have a chance of 100+. If garbage like IDR and okay but nothing special Tarzan can do it then please american folks rise up to the occasion. I mean you elected Trump for god sake...redeem yourself. 

I don't think over 30M OW from an early track of 20M if reviews are generally positive is too much to ask for. Let's hope that's how it goes.

17 hours ago, marveldcfox said:

country?

It was supposed to be out on 28th as PVR Pictures (film production and distribution arm of PVR Group, which also owns PVR cinemas, largest multiplex company in India) had seen the film and decided to release on 1000 screen release in 4 languages (English, Hindi, Tamil, Telugu). Up until a few weeks ago, biggest online movie booking site in India had this as 28th July release, but now it is no where to be found on their site. Something is up. I am worried I may not get to witness this soon enough..

Australia.  Plus I'm skiing the week it comes out.

13 hours ago, Arlborn said:

I don't think over 30M OW from an early track of 20M if reviews are generally positive is too much to ask for. Let's hope that's how it goes.

Wonder Woman was tracking 70M but did 100+ because of reviews and the 1st big budget female superhero factor. Women came in droves to watch that.

Valerian I hope can crack 35 (deep down I want 40...cuz I am greedy) if the reviews are positive and word gets out that it is a MUST see movie in 3d. Also, hoping that the 5 minute clip that will be shown this weekend with spider-man will get the job done. 

Edited by marveldcfox
  • Like 1

Ours aren't even up yet...

also I was reading the July preview on The Numbers and under Valerian he wrote "there's a small group of vocal enthusiasts" or something and I like to imagine they were talking about us.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Morieris said:

Ours aren't even up yet...

also I was reading the July preview on The Numbers and under Valerian he wrote "there's a small group of vocal enthusiasts" or something and I like to imagine they were talking about us.

I'm famous now?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dexter of Suburbia said:

I am not seeing any Thursday showing for this.  I am seeing an equal amount of 2D and 3D movies.

Yeah, my theater doesn't have Thursday previews up yet either. lmao if STX doesn't do previews on this