Neo

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets | July 21, 2017 | FLOP OF THE YEAR

7 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

MBJ survived because he's a bone fide great actor and charisma who didn't just luck out with one role that was perfect for him (that's DeHaan in Cronicle, playing himself, no doubt). he cna play anything. deHaan is limited to playing creeps cause he looks creepy. Whose idea was to make him a hero? 

That and he has Ryan Coogler by his side all the time. Only that guy can get consistently great performances out of him. 

@That One Guy I hope you can handle this. Power to you.

I won't be here till the 24th.

Sadly, the reviews have sealed its fate at the box office. It was a bad decision to lift the embargo so early. Should have just waited till 19th. Now those who were interested in watching might not be too keen. TOMATO LAW is dangerous. But you can't blame people. Brett Ratner was right. It has destroyed movie going experience. 

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

Tele didn't need to like it for it to have dubious box office prospects. At least this movie has its fans and won't completely endure a fate similar to Jupiter Ascending, which seemed to miss the boat as even a cult classic and was swiftly forgotten.

Well, I'll watch it. : it's sci-fi, StarWars-like and partly French 😎😋

We definitely live in a time where a film that gets mixed reviews will most certainly not get a fair shot. This film has gotten reviews that say it's glorious, exhilarating, and masterful, but it has also gotten reviews that call it a mess, the worst, and Razzie-worthy. Guess which reviews will the allegedly unbiased news outlets focus on when they talk about Valerian ?

Sad!

Edited by Cochofles
  • Like 2

Just now, Cochofles said:

We definitely live in a time where a film that gets mixed reviews will most certainly not get a fair shot. This film has gotten reviews that say it's glorious, exhilarating, and masterful, but it has also gotten reviews that call it a mess, the worst, and Razzie-worthy. Guess which reviews will allegedly unbiased news outlets focus on when they talk about Valerian ?

Sad!

I would say movie fans, not outlets. If it doesn't fit expected norms, it must be awful.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Cochofles said:

We definitely live in a time where a film that gets mixed reviews will most certainly not get a fair shot. This film has gotten reviews that say it's glorious, exhilarating, and masterful, but it has also gotten reviews that call it a mess, the worst, and Razzie-worthy. Guess which reviews will the allegedly unbiased news outlets focus on when they talk about Valerian ?

Sad!

Soon it will be once you don't get over 90% on RT, your movie is garbage. Just wait for that narrative.

• Like 7

16 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

Sadly, the reviews have sealed its fate at the box office. It was a bad decision to lift the embargo so early. Should have just waited till 19th. Now those who were interested in watching might not be too keen. TOMATO LAW is dangerous. But you can't blame people. Brett Ratner was right. It has destroyed movie going experience. 

But it's above 70%.

Tomato Law will work on it.

11 minutes ago, DMan7 said:

Soon it will be once you don't get over 90% on RT, your movie is garbage. Just wait for that narrative.

That's about where it's at now. Honestly I use the audience score more than actual critics. I tend to agree more with the audience. If people just remember critics get paid to write their opinions and that it's not fact. Sometimes I feel people take RT and critic reviews as fact.  They didn't like it so it must be bad instead of thinking for themselves.

Just now, That One Guy said:

The IndieWire review has yet to be added (it's positive), but it has been fairly consistent in staying over 70%.  The way some people are talking about it, you'd think that it's getting Jupiter Ascending-level reviews lmao.

yeah. it's above 70s RT. i don't get the panic

8 minutes ago, Alli said:

yeah. it's above 70s RT. i don't get the panic

It's not panic, we just have a certain contingent of people who always seem eager to embrace whatever narrative's already been established for the movie. (What's interesting is that it's not necessarily the same people from movie to movie, but it always happens for any major tentpole). The only time it doesn't is when a movie gets universal or near-universal acclaim.

It's an interesting phenomenon.

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

Are you trolling? Your comments are way too patronizing to take seriously.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

So... it's very divisive, it seems.

Guess, like always (but more so this time), we'll simply have to wait and see.

Meanwhile, NOS gets ready to put tickets on sale around here. :sparta:

January 1st

Why Luc Besson's 'Valerian' May Determine the Fate of Europe's Most High-Profile Studio

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/why-luc-bessons-valerian-may-determine-fate-europes-high-profile-studio-963155

June 20

"I heard that a newspaper did write a bit of shit about the company but actually this newspaper belongs to another company that is going to release a film at the same time. It sounds to me like a very, very below-the-belt attack."

http://www.screendaily.com/features/interviews/luc-besson-talks-valerian-the-biggest-cinema-gamble-of-2017/5119067.article

July 10

The Razzies don't need to wait until the end of the year to anoint a winner for 2017. The Golden Turkey Awards should be republished with a new cover.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/review/valerian-city-a-thousand-planets-review-1019847

• Like 1