Neo

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets | July 21, 2017 | FLOP OF THE YEAR

You know, I have seen this trailer repeatedly.  The trailer I have seen that made me interested in watching a movie more was Bladerunner.  But I have seen that repeatedly too, and while I may still see it, and may still NOT see this one, that one is a groan when it comes on, since I know it by heart, while -- this trailer makes me perk up because it is just a fun music video with spacey effects.  If I end up believing the movie is the same as the trailer throughout, I'll watch it.  Unfortunately, I expect it isn't. But I will at least give it a chance by watching the trailers they release, to convince me it is.

15 hours ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Just another example of the movie budget bubble. One wonders when it will go completely bust. 

Literrally thousands of people work on these movies.

These images don't appear magically and if you want to stay current and compete with the market, you can't afford to look cheap.

Plus you need to up your game with each movie to woah people even if it s becoming increasingly difficult as we have already seen lots of spectacular things since Terminator 2.

The Fifth Element was on the Tele the other night, and it's crazy how technology has evolved in 20 years.

Fifth Element was state of the art back then, when Digital Domain was VFX house Number 2/3 with Sony Pictures Imageworks.

In Fifth Element you had like 10 minutes of CGI total , the big Taxi set piece ( that was before Phantom Menace as far as futuristic big cities with flying cars) at the beginning and few things here and there, some shots look dodgy today.

Valerian will be like an animated movie with 2 hours of CGI, with depth and complexity you could only dream of back in 1997.

A VFX heavy tentpole price tag these days is 150M minimum and up to a lot at Disney's.

300m tentpoles are a thing now.

So Valerian is in line with what is happening right now.

Problem is that visuals aren't enough  these days, we had 150m-200m flops that had state of the art VFX but audiences didn't care for them : Battleship, Jupiter Ascending, Green Lantern, Pan, ID4 R, etc

In 1996, you could have a box office juggernaut that was greenlit on a vfx test at ILM : Twister for example.

When Fifth Element was relased 20 years, you had 5-10 movies like this a year tops, now you have around 20-25- a year, plus the CGI toon movies that are direct competition.

I fear for Valerian because of that high number of EVENT movies per year we have now, it is becoming increasingly difficut to stand out from the pack.

Good luck to Luc though, he s putting his heart and soul into this, as I already said, he is realizing his lifelong childhood dream with this movie.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 11

17 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Europacorp has already given up on being a standalone studio, STX will be distributing this and all of their movies going forward.

They are?

Edited by cookie