Cedarpoint1111

TDKR Weekend: $160.89M - #3 ALL TIME HIGHEST OW

Well it finally happened: one of the victims (who didn't get shot themselves) is suing, amongst others, Warner Brothers:"Karpel says "Dark Knight Rises" was particularly violent and Holmes mimicked some of the action. The attorney says theater goers were helpless because they thought the shooter was part of the movie. Karpel tells TMZ, "Somebody has to be responsible for the rampant violence that is shown today." "http://www.tmz.com/2...wsuit-shooting/

Seriously?

Well it finally happened: one of the victims (who didn't get shot themselves) is suing, amongst others, Warner Brothers:"Karpel says "Dark Knight Rises" was particularly violent and Holmes mimicked some of the action. The attorney says theater goers were helpless because they thought the shooter was part of the movie. Karpel tells TMZ, "Somebody has to be responsible for the rampant violence that is shown today." "http://www.tmz.com/2...wsuit-shooting/

Pathetic.

I attended the Trilogy last Thursday, and there was decent applause after BB, rollicking, enthusiastic applause after TDK, and somewhere in the middle after TDKR (definitely lesser than TDK's applause, though). Could be because it was 3:15 in the morning, though, and we'd just sat through 9-plus hours of movies... :)Sadly, this film's run has been forever skewed in who-knows-what direction, as far as WOM. Unless we see a tiny 2nd-weekend drop, indicating very strong WOM, it will be difficult to pinpoint what people are saying about the film itself. A huge 2nd-weekend drop could just mean that the shooting is still in the forefront of potential viewers' minds, and have nothing to do with WOM. It's unfortunate this film isn't being judged on its own merit (which is quite shaky, IMO).

OMFG. Is that a fucking joke??? HE PAID TO SEE THE VIOLENT MOVIE!

Warner Brothers has the deepest pockets. But I agree that it appears a bit hypocritical at first glance considering that the vicitm was attending the movie that is now being considered a threat to society. :(

Well it finally happened: one of the victims (who didn't get shot themselves) is suing, amongst others, Warner Brothers:

"Karpel says "Dark Knight Rises" was particularly violent and Holmes mimicked some of the action. The attorney says theater goers were helpless because they thought the shooter was part of the movie. Karpel tells TMZ, "Somebody has to be responsible for the rampant violence that is shown today." "

http://www.tmz.com/2...wsuit-shooting/

Of course I feel sympathy for this person, but they'd have a better case if this "Joker" a-hole just randomly shot at him at the Mall or the Post Office. The fact that the suing party was actually attending a midnight showing of the movie he is now suing over kinda hurts his case, no? He was obviously a big fan of the Bat-movies before the shooting or he wouldn't have been at a midnight show. He's changed his tune only after the unthinkable has happened. That's certainly his right, but to sue WB over it is ridiculous. He may have a case against Holmes' doctors, though...

This is my first post on this forum since Baumer suspended me on Saturday, and I have to say I was greatly pleased to see the actuals for TASM on Monday. I was the only poster here who believed TASM could drop close to 70% vs TDKR, and it's always nice to see a film validate your (very bold) prediction.

• Like 1

Absolutely ridicolus to sue WB. Judicial system is becoming a joke in this country and this is one of the reasons why.

Business is slow. Us lawyers need work too.Edit: althought this case has no chance of succeeding, so the lawyer will not get paid. You can't say the violence in TDKR drove this guy to do anything since he planned it out weeks before TDKR was even released; he never saw the movie. Moreover, there is no way to prove that any WB movie made this guy violent. Edited by Walt Disney

Hold on, how is the gun person going to kill his boss related to the movie? He saw the movie the day before. If a guy robs a bank and saw the movie the night before, is he called the dark knight robber by the media ?

Yes, that's how the media operates. Friday morning the headlines were "Batman Movie Massacre" instead of the more accurate "Movie Theater Massacre." Pretty much says it all about how the media operates.

I have no doubt the case will be laughed out of the courtroom as soon as possible. It's like when people tried to blame Marilyn Manson for Columbine back in 1999. Just utterly ridiculous. As always, in the face of a tragedy like this some people would rather pass the buck and blame entertainment and talk bullshit, than have a serious and critical discussion about gun law reform. It's so frustrating to see.

• Like 1