CJohn

Minions | 7.10.2015 | Crosses 1 BILLION Worldwide. Beats Toy Story 3 on the all-time chart.

If Frozen hadn't been such a Japanese juggernaut, Minions likely would've beaten it WW.

Frozen's run in Japan is one of the most shocking I've ever witnessed. $50 million would already be considered an excellent number for an original (non-sequel) animated film (only a few Pixar films have even broken this threshold) but to end up around $250 million is almost inconceivable. I personally thought it would only pull a bit higher than Tangled (arguably the most similar film to it) numbers, which grossed about $32 million in Japan three years prior.

• Like 3

Absolutely Tree-5000. Minions was better that Toy Story3 and Frozen; as long as you are under 5 and your brand of humor consists of finding fart jokes and a Minion falling on his face incredibly clever. I admire those whose sense of humor never progresses past toddler stage.

:-). Just a little Kidding; sorta!!!

Edited by Planodisney
  • Like 2

Let me try to explain it and maybe you will understand. There is cleverness and wit in some of the songs as well as the visuals that go along with some of the songs. Some of the songs were clever and funny and some,were touching. I'm not a HUGE fan of Let It Go, but it,deeply touched many people. It wasn't one of my favorite songs from the film but I appreciate it as a good song and was powerful in the movie. There was a legitimate love triangle with betrayal. That isn't a kiddie theme in any stretch.

I think some people think an animated movie has to be harsh, edgy or irreverent to be for adults. It doesn't. It just needs to be well written and have something we can appreciate or relate too. Frozen has that.

For me, what makes an animated movie targeted mostly for the kid crowd is the style of humor. Minions falling on their face or farting and so on. Silly characters doing stupid things that make little,ones crack up.

The thing is, if done very well, silly kid centric slapstick humor can be enjoyable for adults as well. Sometimes, however, it's just stupid, like Madagascar movies and the last few Ice Age films. Minions strayed just over the border of stupid at times for me but was a touch more clever at points that the previous mentioned films, but it was boring in parts.

Never did it rise to the level of the first 2 films of the franchise IMHO. I think largely because the entire movie was about characters that STUPIDNESS is sorta their calling card. The writing would have had to been Pixar at its to pull them through as an excellent film, but it wasn't even close to Pixar or Lego Movie quality of writing.

Edited by Planodisney
  • Like 1

PDC1987, I didn't meen that the way you are portraying it. I meant that in a completely friendly tone with no air of superiority whatsoever.

But if it makes you feel better to demonize people because they disagree with your opinions, have at it. Sorry if it came across that way and I'll try to phrase my thoughts better in the future.

• Like 1

Don't forget that Frozen also had a much higher gross in the U.S. as well despite being robbed of another probably 10 million at least by its DVD release date and short run.

Japan and the U.S. Are widely considered the most sophisticated animation markets and it destroyed Minions in those 2 markets and don't forget it was not a sequel and had mild expectations and then exploded.

Sorry but it's ridiculous to say "My movie would have won if only we could take away Frozens best Market".

Frozen beat it domestic, international and WW. Get over it! :-)

Edited by Planodisney
  • Like 2