CJohn

Monday (7/23/12) Numbers: The Dark Knight Rises - 19.5M

The media may as well stop beating around the bush. From now on, anyone who sees TDKR and commits a crime of any nature within a year after viewing should be labeled a "copycat." Someone besides the actual criminal has to be blamed, right?

Edited by mattmav45

Wow, Spidey's number is bad.Seriously, what's Sony going to do next with Spider-man?TASM had good word of mouth but not great.Gross is decent but considering that it's in 3-D attendance isn't great.Fans and fanboys that rejected this movie are less likely to sequel to it, so what next now? With all due respect to those that loved TASM,re-booting the franchise was a knee jerk and stupid reaction to a very controllable situation.

They'll just make a sequel and hope it does better than this one!What else can they do apart from trying to make a sequel as good as they can possibly make it.

Yeah, no movie has ever had to deal with this kind of baggage.I'm trying to understand why people feel the film or WB had ANYTHING to do with the shooting. Jesus Christ, this country is so fucked up. Everyone always has to point the finger and someone else always has to be responsible. Yes, it was terrible, but there is only one person to blame for what happened. The movie studio having to deal with lawsuits is really sad, and I think embarrassing for the state of things in the country.

My biggest fear is that WB will effectively take the blame and make the reboot campy because "the previous movies were too dark/violent and inspired a mass shooting." WB is getting pulverized with negative publicity and the film is being unfairly associated with a nutjob killer. You know what they say though. Repeat a lie often enough and people will believe it. WB suits will try to make the reboot as safe as possible, which means as campy as possible.

Why u guys see an increase tomorrow is waaaay beyond me. Take DH2s numbers for this week and that's the daily drops you're looking at.

that would be like

16.6 Tuesday -14.7%

13.3 wednesday -20%

12.3 Thursday -8%

18.5 Friday +50%

23.1 Saturday +25%

19.6 Sunday -15%

2nd wknd 61.2M -62%

Why u guys see an increase tomorrow is waaaay beyond me. Take DH2s numbers for this week and that's the daily drops you're looking at.

Exactly..... maybe it will drop a bit softer due to more prevalent Tuesday discounts.... but 5% is the best drop it can have.
  • Like 1

The farther we get away from 19th of july, the more the people who are afraid will see the the movie, some wont ever in the theater but most will, this will automatically be seen in better legs than tdk, in the end ending up closer by 10-20 percent, the number i think who have been holding out

They'll just make a sequel and hope it does better than this one!What else can they do apart from trying to make a sequel as good as they can possibly make it.

Yeah but will a sequel break out like the original films did?It seems Spider-man (as a film franchise) has been moved from main eventer to jobber.

I do not see an increase on Tuesday. A mere drop, at best:Tuesday 17.5 (-10%)Wednesday 15.4 (-12%)Thursday 14.4 (-8%)Friday 21.5 (+50%)Saturday 26.9 (+25%)Sunday 21.5 (-20%)70 million 2nd weekend (-56.25%). 296 million on Sunday (17 million behind TDK)

But TASM increased on it's first Tuesday and so have many other movies. why not this?

Because TASM didn't open to 160 mill in its first three days.

that would be like

16.6 Tuesday -14.7%

13.3 wednesday -20%

12.3 Thursday -8%

18.5 Friday +50%

23.1 Saturday +25%

19.6 Sunday -15%

2nd wknd 61.2M -62%

I'm not saying identical to Potter as that is one of the most frontloaded franchises ever, but it will drop today and probably significantly, perhaps more than 5% and then another 15-20% tomorrow.

This has nothing to do with my so so feelings towards TDKR, it is more to do with trends and how record breaking films perform.

• Like 1

Yeah, Sony has made their Spider-Man decision. They can't change their mind now. We're getting TASM 2 in May 2014, and that's that. There's no other option.

It seems Spider-man (as a film franchise) has been moved from main eventer to jobber.

Well I wouldn't say that. Spidey still brings in more money than Thor, X-Men, Superman, or Captain America. (Let alone GL.)Thanks to the tough release date for this one and now the shooting tragedy, it's not going to have a super strong finish. Which just means that the sequel will increase even more than most folks are expecting it to. (Since there will be more room to increase.)

This has nothing to do with my so so feelings towards TDKR, it is more to do with trends and how record breaking films perform.

This has so many anomolies associated with it, you can throw your trends and historical performances out of the window. This will have its own trend we will find out more by the end of week 2

This has so many anomolies associated with it, you can throw your trends and historical performances out of the window. This will have its own trend we will find out more by the end of week 2

No it won't. The second weekend is a mystery, I'll agree with that. But not the weekdays. The film film exactly in line with expectations yesterday and it will do so throughout the week.