CJohn

Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D

Considering I was somewhat underwhelmed by the pilot (although I still enjoyed it), this was a massive improvement. While the plot wasn't anything to write home about, that's completely fine since this episode was all about the characters and how they came together as a team. And it worked really well. After the pilot, I'd have said the weakest thing about the show was the characters. now it's the opposite. I admit I suspected that Whedon was going to address and work on making characters more likable as the show progressed, I just didn't expect him to do so so quickly. And they so fantastically addressed the widely spread complaint about Skye joining, that I almost think Whedon was deliberately trying to provoke that reaction in the pilot so he could blow us away with the second.

And the cameo at the end was just the icing on the cake. Fantastic episode.

Just finished the episode on ABC. My thoughts:The good: Furry chewing out Coulson. Characters' interactions, building chemistry between the cast. Good actions, I also enjoy the humor.The usual tie-ins and nods. I found Fitz-Simmons very charming, they're my favorite characters atm. The bad: Thin and irrelevant plot. Still don't like Ward's and Skye's actings. They could use some work.Overall, I think the episode achieved the objective of laying and developing foundation for building Coulson's team. Just hope the plot/story line starts picking up and diversified in future episode.

I actually liked this episode better than the pilot.  As expected, the ratings dropped:

18-49 Rating / Viewers Live+SD (million)

Last Week
NBC The Voice 4.6 / 14.14
ABC Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. 4.6 / 11.90
CBS NCIS  3.4 / 19.47

This Week
NBC The Voice 4.4 / 14.20
CBS NCIS 3.4 / 19.33
ABC Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. 3.1 / 8.40

The plot was intentionally irrelevant this episode. The real focus was the team learning to work together.

agree and i thought it came across pretty well, that's why i was miffed to find out skye was a traitor 

and personally i had no idea about fury , i don't go on ew.com anymore 

I just saw the second ep. They really need to make things less generic, I mean every aspect of the last episode I feel like we've seen dozens of times before in other shows/movies.

Dialogue lines like "and can you repeat that in English?"

Annoying pseudoscience jargon, randomly inserting words like "gamma" and "temporal" to make the show seems smart, when it actually sounds really dumb.

Bad guys gloating and stalling to give the good guys time to defeat them.

I'll stick it out another episode but I predict another big fall for next week.

With finals, the rating increased to 3.3 demo & 8.66 million viewers, but damn ... down 30% in the demo & 4 million viewers total in 1 week is definitely a reality check of where this will fit into the landscape of network television. 

Granted, it's still one of ABC's higher rated shows ... and it's a Marvel/Disney film property so it might get some leeway, but we'll see.

This just reminds me so much of V though ... similar style drops.

• Community Manager

With finals, the rating increased to 3.3 demo & 8.66 million viewers, but damn ... down 30% in the demo & 4 million viewers total in 1 week is definitely a reality check of where this will fit into the landscape of network television.

So far, it's doing exactly what I was expecting. Sleepy Hollow really is the only new show whose ratings are surprising me.

• Like 1

Granted, it's still one of ABC's higher rated shows ... and it's a Marvel/Disney film property so it might get some leeway, but we'll see.

This just reminds me so much of V though ... similar style drops.

To be fair, the pilot had the largest network drama debut in four years. There was always going to be a decent drop.

And the fact that a major cast member was leaving in that week's NCIS certainly didn't help things. 

• Like 1