CJohn

Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D

Agreed. More than anything, it's not only a two-parter but the impact of the SHIELD is still reverberating. 

I'm hoping it keeps up like this, with the serialized story that incorporates actual characters from the comics. They can do a "MOTW" if they interpret like they've been doing Creel. They nailed Creel and his power set. 

I agree. The agents aren't going on weekly missions, they're pursuing connected threads that all lead back to the season's real villain(s). The difference between this season and last is that the connections are more readily apparent to the viewer now, whereas last year things only made sense in retrospect. 

The return of Raina was very welcome, though I'd prefer that she were an independent operator rather than a pawn. For a moment I was afraid that she was going to buy it but thankfully she lives to vamp another day. Eventually I would like to see Raina join forces with Coulson because I think that Clark Gregg and Ruth Negga would make a hot team. Just imagine Coulson trying to reform Raina while she tries to lure him closer to the dark side -- he wants to "do the wrong thing for the right reasons," she just wants to do whatever she wants for her own reasons. That relationship would be fun to watch, assuming that the Lesser Whedons could pull it off. 

• Like 1

• Community Manager

The first two episodes of this new season are way more serialized than the respective episodes of Season 1 (especially as Episode 2 continues exactly where the premiere left off).

I haven't seen the second episode but the first episode was a case-of-the-week. It might have had a purpose but it was basically try (and fail) to secure yet another artifact (boring) and steal a cloaked helicopter (too easy and should have been what the stated goal was from the beginning so they could build up to it properly). It just wasn't done very well in my opinion.

Though I am a fan of the show, I do think that it reverted in quality to slightly above last seasons premier with the first episode of the season.  The new protagonists were not that interesting

somewhat excusable since most of them died before they had any time to develope

, and the lighting seemed rather poor throughout the episode.  I thought that the second episode was much better.

• Community Manager

Though I am a fan of the show, I do think that it reverted in quality to slightly above last seasons premier with the first episode of the season.  The new protagonists were not that interesting

somewhat excusable since most of them died before they had any time to develope

, and the lighting seemed rather poor throughout the episode.  I thought that the second episode was much better.

Yeah I agree that the second episode was a huge improvement.

I haven't seen the second episode but the first episode was a case-of-the-week. It might have had a purpose but it was basically try (and fail) to secure yet another artifact (boring) and steal a cloaked helicopter (too easy and should have been what the stated goal was from the beginning so they could build up to it properly). It just wasn't done very well in my opinion.

The first episode was pretty lackluster, which was unsurprising because Jed and Mo aren't very good writers. They were behind some of the most disappointing eps last season. The two of them don't have a good grasp of character and pacing and their handling of Coulson in particular is off most of the time. Scripts are too slow-paced to keep people's interest. The final action sequence in the first episode could have been exciting, but the writers chose to bog it down by putting a monologue over it and using unnecessary slow-mo. 

I don't think that the show runners have a clue how to make AOS as exciting and interesting as it should be. This is a show that ought to be crackling with energy every week. Instead, it's only fitfully interesting. With the ratings dropping the pace has to pick up or AOS is going to be in serious trouble.

• Like 2

Agents of Shield is actually getting better. They need to inject a major Cameo with a 3-5 part story arc featuring

Captain or Iron Man or Thor and then maintain good stories from there and that will end the ratings bleeding.

Also I hope Lucy Lawless's characters death was faked. No way should they lose her in this show..

GGo Zena!!! AII YYYIIEEEEE YIIEEEE! :)

• Like 1

Last night's episode was the best so far this season. It was well-written and even though some twists were easy to anticipate, everything was played out brilliantly. Fitz's confrontation with Ward provided one of the series best emotional scenes. Every scene featuring Simmons after the opening was unbelievably tense. Henstridge is a far better actress than Bennet. She showed Simmons' nervousness and fear without any eye-rolling histrionics. It's too bad that the writers have doubled-down on their Skye bet instead of throwing in that losing hand and positioning Simmons & Fitz as Coulson's star pupils. 

Monday, October 13, 2014

GET AN EXCLUSIVE LOOK INTO HOW THE MARVEL UNIVERSE WAS CREATED FROM THE LATE 1930S TO PRESENT DAY, AND HOW THE COMPANY'S TRIUMPHS AND TRIBULATIONS OVER THE PAST 75 YEARS HELPED TURN IT INTO A SOCIALLY RELEVENT ENTERTAINMENT BEHEMEATH, IN THE ORIGINAL SPECIAL, "MARVEL: PULP TO POP," NOVEMBER 4 ON ABC

Emily VanCamp
(Revenge) Hosts the Special

Experience an exciting journey through the 75 year history of the Marvel Universe, from its humble beginnings as Timely Comics in 1939 to the birth of The Marvel Age in the 1960s, and finally the cinematic blockbusters of today in the original special, "Marvel: Pulp to Pop," hosted by Emily VanCamp, TUESDAY, NOVEMBER 4 (9:00-10:00 p.m., ET) on the ABC Television Network.

Marvel has pioneered and broken box-office records around the world, creating a universe unlike any other in pop culture history through its comic books, television shows, video games, animation and blockbuster films. Marvel made its foray into the film world with Iron Man in 2008 and continues its entertainment domination today with Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. on ABC and the upcoming Marvel's Agent Carter, and the recent theatrical releases of Marvel's Captain America: The Winter Soldier and Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy, as well as the highly anticipated upcoming film, Marvel's The Avengers: Age of Ultron. The Marvel Cinematic Universe translates the excitement of the comic books to a whole new audience with some of the most groundbreaking and dynamic storytelling that brings an unprecedented vision to the world of entertainment.

But how was the Marvel Universe formed?

The special takes a look at Marvel's roots, beginning in 1939 as Timely Comics with Martin Goodman and Stan Lee emerging as key figures in Marvel's history in the 1940s along with the creation of Captain America, the impact of World War II and the decline of super hero stories and the subsequent downfall of the comic book industry in the 1950s. After a decade of decline, Stan Lee and Jack Kirby created the modern super hero team in 1961 with the Fantastic Four, helping to bring back superhero stories and ushering in "The Marvel Age," which saw the creation of the Hulk, Iron Man, The X-Men and Spider-Man. A shift in the character paradigm in the 1970s also brought culturally relevant characters such as the Black Panther, Falcon, Black Widow, Luke Cage and Ms. Marvel to the forefront . But the mid-1990s were not so kind to Marvel as the company fell into bankruptcy. However, a new batch of creative visionaries brought about a modern day renaissance, revitalizing publishing. Soon, after Marvel saw its characters and stories take over the silver screen, and Marvel Studios was born, leading into today's successes on the big screen and television.

Just  watched  several episodes back-to-back and boy...this is way better than last season.   The Skye character has been minimized.  Would prefer she just go away completely, but this is much better.  Got a huge kick out of seeing Coulson dress her down for her typical bratty rebellious attitude.   Also nice to see May pin her against the wall to shut her up too.   They can do that stuff every week.  :D

Really getting interested in the story arc.  Don't know who that tall actress is who just showed up....but she would have made a better Wonder Woman than the waif who was cast in BvS.

Tried watching again since people said it has improved. Nope, still sucks, just slightly less than before. Not sticking around again, Coulson is just not the character to build a show around.

Wonder how mad the show runners are that the AoU trailer leaked online early, they could have popped a big rating next week.