Ezen Baklattan

Friday & Early Wknd Estimates (9/21/12): END OF WATCH Solid, everything else soft...

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/jennifer-lawrence-clint-eastwood-box-office-373016End Of Watch, Trouble With The Cuve, and House At The End Of The Street are looking at 11m-14m, though House may possibly go higher.Dredd could make 7m-8m.The Master could get to 5m, but they underestimated it last weekend, so keep that in mind.

Considering HATES was going to be a DTV release until Lawrence started gearing up for The Hunger Games, anything over 10m seems like a win I guess. Curve might have an okay run but it doesn't seem like the so-so reviews and the Eastwood controversy helped.Dredd shouldn't have opened against End of Watch. Hell, I don't know why they didn't bother putting it in the late Summer.Another meh weekend but I'm curious to see how high The Master goes.

I still think HATES is going to win the weekend. PG-13 horror plus Jennifer Lawrence plus what seems like a more extensive marketing campaign than the other 3 (though obviously channels and shows that I don't watch may have featured other movies instead) should be enough to attract the teen crowd all weekend long.

Dredd shouldn't have opened against End of Watch. Hell, I don't know why they didn't bother putting it in the late Summer.

Dredd had been basking in great reviews for the past 2 weeks. But that still wasn't enough to bump up any interest in this film. I think it's safe to say that nothing would have saved it, release date or otherwise.

Is there interest in any films right now? The box office has been dead for about 6 weeks now. The last good weekend was the August 10th weekend when Bourne made 38 mill. Ever since then it's been one disappointment after the other.

If initial estimates hold then EOW is the only movie that can claim any sort of win. Underwhelming for everything else including The Master. The Apparition made $3 million from same number of theaters and that was a movie that the studio had left for dead.

Edited by TLK

Is there interest in any films right now? The box office has been dead for about 6 weeks now. The last good weekend was the August 10th weekend when Bourne made 38 mill. Ever since then it's been one disappointment after the other.

Yeah its been a pretty lousy time at the box office. I'd argue that its been downhill ever since TDKR opened.
  • Like 1

Yeah Dredd not currently doing even 1/2 of TWTC and its looking like being lot less then RE5 last friday maybe 5-6m mark (very rough not working anything out), then #2/3 got HATEOS & EOW neck and neck and then RE5/Dredd (might do 3ish if evening pick up a lot) , FN3D. top film could just as easily end up being EOW/HATEOSRight now don't have time to work anything out and have to return to Asgard :)Yeah Dull and I didn't mind Dredd

Edited by Rth
  • Like 3