CJohn

Resident Evil: The Final Chapter | 1/27/17 | Trailer on Page 10

23 hours ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

Did boxofficemojo change the worldwide numbers?

Last Sunday, it was at 147 million worldwide and now it's at 140 million worldwide. What happened?

I was gonna post the same thing, how has it gone from $110 million internationally 2 weeks ago to $121 million last week to $113.5 million during the week?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The47th said:

This is at $293,954,695 WW...$7 million more and it will take the crown from Afterlife.

I think it should manage to achieve that :-) It's quite shocking but pleases me because I think it's the best of the franchise

Edited by janeeek1538
  • Like 1

This is interesting. We knew about the $7m buyout in China, but it looks like Constantin Films were smart and built a new model for the ideal:

Resident Evil’s Chinese box office coup — likely to be nearly ten times more than the film’s North American total, and two-thirds of its total worldwide haul — is yet another success for local distributor Leomus Pictures (师鼠影业), the company behind the Chinese releases for Now You See Me 2, Escape Plan, and Drive Angry, all of which grossed more in China than North America.  According to an industry insider with knowledge of the deal, Leomus purchased Resident Evil’s Chinese distribution rights from producer Constantin Pictures for some $7 million.

Unlike standard non-import-quota “flat-fee buy-out” deals, however, in which box office receipts would be paid entirely to Leomus, Resident Evil’s producers appear to be on the forefront of a new kind of model that allows them to share some upside when the film is a major hit.  Per statements made by Leomus CEO Qiu Jie to Capital (娱乐资本论), Resident Evil: The Final Chapter is properly neither a revenue-sharing import nor a true buy-out, because of terms apportioning 50% of box office revenue exceeding RMB 500 million to Constantin Film.

In essence, Leomus is acting as a distribution agent on Resident Evil: The Final Chapter, a middleman between Constantin Pictures and China Film Group, additionally leveraging its local marketing power in lower-tier cities.

http://chinafilminsider.com/china-box-office-evil-takes-up-residence/

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, TelemAAchos said:

This is interesting. We knew about the $7m buyout in China, but it looks like Constantin Films were smart and built a new model for the ideal:

http://chinafilminsider.com/china-box-office-evil-takes-up-residence/

Constantin Films can get $7m from Leomus Pictures before opening of the film. If the film pass ¥500m, they can get more from RE6(half of the share).

The film now make ¥1,000m, so Constantin can earn (¥1,000-¥500)*22%*1/2(after ¥500m)+$7m(before ¥500m). 22% is the proportion of distributors can get from buyout. And Leomus should share half because it did better than expectation.

• Like 3