Neo

The Warner Bros. Thread | Will NOT merge with Paramount...capitalism is still terrible

Just now, WittyUsername said:

And I wasn’t saying that you were questioning that. I’m saying that since this thread is specifically about WB, there’s not much of a reason to bring up Disney. 

Anyhow, I’ll just stop responding to this conversation lol. 

3 minutes ago, Ledmonkey96 said:

Didn't BoP bomb pretty hard considering it came out before Covid got really going?

It was a massive under performer, yes. Speaking as someone who was never interested in it to begin with, due to how much I fundamentally hate Harley Quinn in all her incarnations, even I was surprised by how much it underperformed. Back in February, I figured that the movie’s box office performance didn’t fare well for James Gunn’s Suicide Squad movie, but I guess that doesn’t really matter at this point. 

9 hours ago, BK007 said:

edit: and really, Americans have only themselves to blame for this shit lasting so long. You never even had a proper lockdown. You elected a clown for President in 2016 and your opposition-going-to-be-ruling party are stuffed with corporate hacks who can't even pass Medicare for All in a pandemic. In the eyes of the rest of the world, Trump or Biden, America is a failed democracy.

Imagine being against stimulus checks a year into a pandemic and when finally approved, the # is a joke that doesn't even equal a month in other developed countries. Yet so much hand-wringing, fighting and chicken littling, whilst at the same time freely handing $ to corporations and the military. What a shitshow. 

Please don't blanket "Americans have only themselves to blame" and assume these faults constitute all Americans.  Millions upon millions wish things hadn't gone this way, voted against it all, and continue to adhere to strict behavior and safety standards despite the large groups of idiots who do not.  Yes, the government should be flushed and rebooted, I don't disagree -- but the people don't control the people in power, unfortunately, and now Americans have been finding that out the hard way.  

Edited by Macleod
  • Like 1

Robbie is the only reason BOP did anything at all. Poor marketing and awful title. Had the movie been called HARLEY QUINN and made to look normal, it would have done much better.

WB is truly lost for big picture strategy. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, excel1 said:

Robbie is the only reason BOP did anything at all. Poor marketing and awful title. Had the movie been called HARLEY QUINN and made to look normal, it would have done much better.

WB is truly lost for big picture strategy. 

I believe they actually did end up changing the title to Harley Quinn and the Birds of Prey like a few days or a week after the movie released, but yeah they got too fancy with the original title and I wasn't particularity impressed with the marketing which I found unusual as I think Warner Brothers is usually great at making trailers for their movies.

There is no big picture strategy or vision. It is unreal. Nothing is more baffling than lack of rush for AQUAMAN 2 or another Henry Cavill Superman film. 

It really highlights how important Kevin Feige has been at Disney.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, clockwork said:

I believe they actually did end up changing the title to Harley Quinn and the Birds of Prey like a few days or a week after the movie released, but yeah they got too fancy with the original title and I wasn't particularity impressed with the marketing which I found unusual as I think Warner Brothers is usually great at making trailers for their movies.

I think that was on cinema sites like Fandango that called it HARLEY QUINN: BIRDS OF PREY during release.

Ironically last night I was browsing HBO Max and saw it was called 'BIRDS OF PREY: HARLEY QUINN' 

On 12/13/2020 at 7:07 AM, Fullbuster said:

In a few years, when streaming platforms are much bigger than they are today, pretty much everyone will be onboard with simultaneous rleases or even exclusive movies, Nolan included.

Some people are slower than others to accept change but they come around eventually.

Change is not always good but I hear ya buddy and agree with the first part. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, WandaLegion said:

“The economic realities that you can’t just wish away” are that theatrical can support big budget movies and streaming can’t yet. 

*me, looking at Netflix spending $17 billion a year on content**

Ehhhh.....

1 hour ago, WandaLegion said:

“The economic realities that you can’t just wish away” are that theatrical can support big budget movies and streaming can’t yet. 

One can

37 minutes ago, VenomXXR said:

*me, looking at Netflix spending $17 billion a year on content**

Ehhhh.....

They got 200mn people paying them $10 per month.

Presently they are only one with no close competition near.

1 hour ago, charlie Jatinder said:

They got 200mn people paying them $10 per month.

Presently they are only one with no close competition near.

In relation to strictly streaming, yes. Companies like Disney (or Apple or Amazon if they chose to go this route) could subsidize big budget films on their streaming services pretty easily. 

Speaking strictly of Disney, their OTC content will have more subscribers than Netflix by the end of 2023. I imagine Disney+ itself will have more within 6 years. For now, Disney will placate the theaters and fans of theaters but my prediction is before this decade is over, 90% of first-time views of their major films will happen via streaming.

Regardless of what the future of entertainment might be, it doesn’t seem like Jason Kilar is qualified for what he’s setting out to do. Everything he’s done so far would suggest that he and the higher ups at AT&T are horribly out of their element in trying to run a Hollywood studio.