Neo

The Warner Bros. Thread | Will NOT merge with Paramount...capitalism is still terrible

17 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I do think people on here really need to stop with overreacting with what execs might or might not do, we had certain posters freaking out over Bob Chapek doing something to Pixar and WDAS because of Lightyear's failure and now they've turned their attention to David Zaslav and are now freaking over whether films like Dune Part II will end being cancelled, just stop, breath and take a break from your screen.

Zaslav shouldn't even be in the same breath as Chapek. The latter didn't bin a movie that was already filmed. You don't see Disney slaughtering projects left and right like Discovery is right now.

Just now, BadOlCatSylvester said:

Zaslav shouldn't even be in the same breath as Chapek. The latter didn't bin a movie that was already filmed. You don't see Disney slaughtering projects left and right like Discovery is right now.

Funny how you've moved on from freaking out about Bob Chapek to freaking out about David Zaslav. 

Just now, Napoleon said:

What could be the reason for removing underperforming original movies and HBO shows from HBO Max? I can only think of them preparing a package to sell to Netflix in order to make some money quick.

I would imagine the reason the one season wonders were removed were because they're not owned fully by HBO so it's likely the streaming rights have simply expired. Vinyl was made by Paramount for example, Run by eOne and Camping by Lionsgate and BBC Studios. It's probably the same situation with the movies. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

What could be the reason for removing underperforming original movies and HBO shows from HBO Max? I can only think of them preparing a package to sell to Netflix in order to make some money quick.

They might still be forced to pay some residuals to the talent as long as it's kept up? 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Rebeccas said:

They might still be forced to pay some residuals to the talent as long as it's kept up? 

I think it's probably a combination of what I suggested about not being fully owned and residuals. For a popular show like Game of Thrones, no brainer to keep it but for something that lasted one season? Most companies would likely not want to keep the flops on their service.

1 hour ago, Cappoedameron said:

If that's the case why are they cancelling all the HBO Max originals makes zero sense, do they truly think that people will watch their shit on HBO Max? Two completely different demographics.

It's like they made this move for me: I watched Fixer Upper all the time before it left cable but never felt compelled to get Discovery+ just for the Magnolia Network. Now, I don't have to! I do like HBO Max a lot, they'd better not touch the TCM hub.

HBO Max already has its share of non-scripted programming: in the Reality section, I counted over a dozen Max Originals (vs HBO Originals that aired on the channel)--competition shows, dating shows, a cooking show with Selena Gomez. The Magnolia Network shows will fit in just fine.

10 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

It's like they made this move for me: I watched Fixer Upper all the time before it left cable but never felt compelled to get Discovery+ just for the Magnolia Network. Now, I don't have to! I do like HBO Max a lot, they'd better not touch the TCM hub.

HBO Max already has its share of non-scripted programming: in the Reality section, I counted over a dozen Max Originals (vs HBO Originals that aired on the channel)--competition shows, dating shows, a cooking show with Selena Gomez. The Magnolia Network shows will fit in just fine.

I got my mother an annual subscription to Discovery+ as a birthday present and it's honestly worth it as she always watches it. 

We have to remember that all streaming services have unscripted programming, it's not the devil that some think it is and a lot of it is very good.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I got my mother an annual subscription to Discovery+ as a birthday present and it's honestly worth it as she always watches it. 

We have to remember that all streaming services have unscripted programming, it's not the devil that some think it is and a lot of it is very good.

Unscripted content is one thing. Reality television is another. 

• Disbelief 1

3 hours ago, Cappoedameron said:

I honestly don't see the point if all the new content is gonna be reality tv shows and no new scripted shows. He's delusional if he thinks the 76 million subscribers to HBO Max simply have it because of its legacy library like Friends and other shows people watch whenever they want.

In fact hasn't it been proven through data that legacy libraries can't maintain subscribers. They stay because of the new content. If all you're offering is new HG TV and other crappy reality then all the other demographics are gonna cancel the service.

one more time…the 60 million of the 76 million are old HBO subs. 

33 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Discover+ gets more play in my house than Paramount+ or Peacock. You’ve ever seen 90 Day Fiancé addiction? 

• Thanks 1

Just now, BruiseCruise said:

Why does your personal dislike of that matter? I don't watch shit like housewives or love island but its pretty popular and financially viable

People wondered why Disney signed the Kardashians before they became Hulu’s biggest show launch ever.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BruiseCruise said:

Why does your personal dislike of that matter? I don't watch shit like housewives or love island but its pretty popular and financially viable

The idea of it being pumped out at the expense of actual worthwhile content is where the main problem lies.