Neo

The Warner Bros. Thread | Will NOT merge with Paramount...capitalism is still terrible

On 1/14/2023 at 4:35 AM, JWR said:

Except that audience of Snyder's fans are nowhere near big enough to justify spending lucrative amounts of money on (even if Netflix made any profit from this).

SOmething the Snyder fans just don't get.

Warners is not selling off any part of the DCU.

Of course, the Snyder fans have been living in anothe reality for a long time.

BTW I love the on fanboy who can't even remember Josh Whedon's name............

It's hard to find a bigger fan of the Buffyverse then I am, but I admit Whedon did a poor job with JL. That annoying Russian family, for instance.

Edited by dudalb
  • Like 1

On 1/14/2023 at 7:13 AM, cax16 said:

There’s no rationalizing with his fan base, that’s why I don’t even bother trying. If anyone from that base just took a step back and actually thought this through it literally makes zero sense for either party to make a deal to make it happen. 

Warners is not going to give up control of any part of the DCU . End of story.

The Snyder fans got their Snydercut of JL, and from what I  have read it barely broke even  as far as recouping the additiional money spent goes. Not exactly a strong case in keeping the Snyderverse going.

Warners is in it to make a profit, not to make every fanboy on earth happy. Which is why they have pulled the plug on some TV shows that the fanbade loved but audiences in general did not.

Edited by dudalb

3 hours ago, dudalb said:

It's hard to find a bigger fan of the Buffyverse then I am, but I admit Whedon did a poor job with JL. That annoying Russian family, for instance.

Snyder never would have had free Reign on JL even if that family tragedy never occurred. After BvS alienated audiences, WB was always gonna keep him on a tight leash. 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, dudalb said:

Apparently you can't either because it's Joss, not Josh. 😜

Also, it's worth pointing out that Joss had very little control over how JL turned out in the end. He basically had to cut together footage from the Snyder cut and stitch in new scenes to simplify it. All while keeping it under 2 hours and not being given enough time to finish effects properly.

I don't really like defending the guy given some of the behind the scenes stuff that's come out lately but he gets way too much blame for that movie.

Edited by poweranimals
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, dudalb said:

It's Joss. Not Josh. I bet Joss Whedon never thought his career would end up like this after that huge opening weekend for The Avengers. Not only is his career ruined but also his reputation and his legacy. At least he's happily remarried I guess. I hope he finds his way back into writing eventually if not directing. He's a hell of a writer and comic book movies were honestly beneath him. He should've stuck to doing original projects.

Edited by eddyxx
  • Astonished 1

8 hours ago, poweranimals said:

Apparently you can't either because it's Joss, not Josh. 😜

Also, it's worth pointing out that Joss had very little control over how JL turned out in the end. He basically had to cut together footage from the Snyder cut and stitch in new scenes to simplify it. All while keeping it under 2 hours and not being given enough time to finish effects properly.

I don't really like defending the guy given some of the behind the scenes stuff that's come out lately but he gets way too much blame for that movie.

Can we blame him for choosing to devote several minutes to that pointless subplot with the Russian family, despite knowing full-well that the movie had to be under two hours? 

On 1/15/2023 at 5:14 PM, filmnerdjamie said:

It's been talked about on and off for decades.

But you know... if they're ever going to do it, now is the perfect time for Warner Bros. Discovery to pull the trigger on that Goonies sequel.

Ke Huy Quan is about to win an Oscar, Josh Brolin remains one of the busiest character-actors working (who I have no doubt will have an Oscar of his own within the next decade) and Sean Astin is still working well. 

All due respect to their co-stars, you keep those three as your carryover/legacy characters, and have new kids in the lead. Maybe about how "kids today don't know anything about going on an adventure."

Personally... I don't endorse this idea. But it makes too much sense and frankly WBD would be stupid not to go for it. Have it out for 2025 for the 40th anniversary.

Goonies is one of those movies you have to watch as a kid. Watched it for the first time as an adult and… it’s not great. 

Edited by John Marston

2 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

James Gunn Thinks His Guardians Cast Could Join Him At DC: ‘I Will Work With All Those People Individually Again’ – Exclusive

I think I’m already tired of hearing what James Gunn has to say about his vision for DC. 

If chris pratt is the caliber of actor they want for this dcu then this was all for nothing lmfao

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

James Gunn Thinks His Guardians Cast Could Join Him At DC: ‘I Will Work With All Those People Individually Again’ – Exclusive

I think I’m already tired of hearing what James Gunn has to say about his vision for DC. 

You're allowed to just ignore DC news if you hate the direction (which is unknown!!!) and Gunn so much. lmao

• Thanks 1

I've been truly intrigued by this show once it was released. The premise of Gossip Girl comes from a 20 year old book. In 2022 we know the behaviour of the Gossip Girl character would now be considered targeted harassment, we know that this behaviour is bullying and can lead to things like depression and suicide, BUT what they've done with this new Gossip Girl is approach the concept like they did in 2007. The word "harassment" isn't mentioned once. They have teachers bullying school kids by stalking them online and nobody says the word 'stalking'. The characters all act like this far-reaching sinister social media hate campaign is only some kind of nuisance.

The show itself accidentally ended up being one of the most fascinatingly cruel dramas on TV, and was out of touch with its audience at nearly every turn. They have a three-way-polyamorous-bi-sexual-relationship and the show just acts like it's a regular thing. Like the writers saw an article on The Atlantic and figured "oh, here's what all these sexually progressive young people are up to nowadays", as if they really thought a 'throuple' was some kind of 'great win' for representation, I'm just not certain the people they're trying to represent actually exist. 

The racial diversity of the new show was false. Every last character was a white American. They just cast black and asian actors, and thought we wouldn't notice. The black characters weren't black until the second season, and by then I think it was too late.

I'm also pretty sure this might've been their biggest "Max Original" show after Peacemaker. I don't think those Originals have long left at this point.

1 hour ago, AJG said:

I've been truly intrigued by this show once it was released. The premise of Gossip Girl comes from a 20 year old book. In 2022 we know the behaviour of the Gossip Girl character would now be considered targeted harassment, we know that this behaviour is bullying and can lead to things like depression and suicide, BUT what they've done with this new Gossip Girl is approach the concept like they did in 2007. The word "harassment" isn't mentioned once. They have teachers bullying school kids by stalking them online and nobody says the word 'stalking'. The characters all act like this far-reaching sinister social media hate campaign is only some kind of nuisance.

The show itself accidentally ended up being one of the most fascinatingly cruel dramas on TV, and was out of touch with its audience at nearly every turn. They have a three-way-polyamorous-bi-sexual-relationship and the show just acts like it's a regular thing. Like the writers saw an article on The Atlantic and figured "oh, here's what all these sexually progressive young people are up to nowadays", as if they really thought a 'throuple' was some kind of 'great win' for representation, I'm just not certain the people they're trying to represent actually exist. 

The racial diversity of the new show was false. Every last character was a white American. They just cast black and asian actors, and thought we wouldn't notice. The black characters weren't black until the second season, and by then I think it was too late.

I'm also pretty sure this might've been their biggest "Max Original" show after Peacemaker. I don't think those Originals have long left at this point.

I don't think they were trying to represent anyone with the characters, lol. Unless you think the original Gossip Girl represented people as well...