64 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Very well directed by Ben Affleck. Too bad he was snubbed for a directing nod. The story is riveting and has a real sense of urgency and tension in the movie especially in the last third of the movie. It is the exact opposite of ZDT wherein a dry subject has been handled with flair and clarity by the director and the script is excellent.

Argo,,, go f.. :P

This is my third favorite movie among Oscar BP contenders after Lincoln and Django Unchained.

Rating: A-

P.S.: BTW I loved the old WB logo from the 70s. 

Edited by jb007

Enjoyable film, though rather overblows the US role, but its Hollywood. Music is excellent. There's a lack of character development with lot of the cast. Also, I hate how the main character was so obviously race casted, not to mention keeping the same facial expression throughout the whole film. 

B-

Finally saw it yesterday. Not sure if I thought it was better then Lincoln, but still desereved the Oscar. Afleck was good and I loved Arkin, Cranston and Goodman. Never thought I say that I liked Goodman in a serious role but I did. It was well written also. (Though I do have to confess out of the 3 nominees I saw I think I enjoyed Django the most even if I don't think it was as well made as this or Lincoln).

A

• Like 1

Caught up with this on BD, extended cut. Very good production, and I liked the pace: First nearly documentary-style, then the ridiculous Hollywood setup and finally the best part, the scenes inside Iran. The tension was nearly unbearable in some scenes. And congrats to art direction, set design, costume - they did a fantastic job!

Caught up with this on BD, extended cut. Very good production, and I liked the pace: First nearly documentary-style, then the ridiculous Hollywood setup and finally the best part, the scenes inside Iran. The tension was nearly unbearable in some scenes. And congrats to art direction, set design, costume - they did a fantastic job!

Extended cut of Argo?

I will never understand why this movies gets so much praise (8.4 on RT, Oscar to Best Moive and great box office run :blink: ). NEVER

The first 5 minutes and climax are amazing, the supporting cast are good too and that's it. On the other side the premisse is uninteresting, the acting by Ben Affleck is AWFUL and one of the biggest mystery in the movie industry, How did this shit score got nominated to Oscars?

to be frank I never liked those type of films, political thrillers (or any Ben Affleck movie)

2012 "watch later" movies

9/10 A Wreck it Ralph 

8/10 B The Guilt Trip 

7/10 B Premium Rush

6/10 B Frankenweenie  

6/10 B Argo        

5/10 C Dredd          

5/10 C This Is 40    

Edited by Goffe
  • Like 1

Watched this, somewhat appropriately, on a plane going to the US.

It was... ok. I felt the same way about it as The Town: Affleck has an admirable, minimal style that never calls much attention to itself, but the trade off is it's hard to get emotionally involved in any of the proceedings.

I was also surprised at how slight the plot was. When Affleck finally arrives at the Embassy they go to a market, then the airport the next day and that's it. The build-up was nice but ultimately it didn't strike me as a story worth telling over a 2 hour movie. Apparently the Academy disagreed.

Edited by Hatebox

It tells a great story and the scenes about Iran were interesting.

Solid effort but as a Canadian I can't score this higher then a 8 as its distorts History.

If it's any consolation, the film outright lies about British involvement, saying they turned away the Americans when in fact they housed them for a while before moving them to the Canadian embassy which was considered safer.

Edited by Hatebox