A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

1 hour ago, sgchn40 said:

Fully agree with tupek. In fact, I feel that subsequent viewing online of SW7 will kill SW8. 

yet they loved F7. I guess explosions and car chases are universally enjoyed, while different types of drama and dialoge dont translate well.

But ya. The main reason F7 had a big bump from 6 in the US was whole dead actor thing. People tend to run out an see a movie that has a tragic event associated with it, Paul Walker's death in this case, same thing happened with TDK.

Movie had a stupid plot and poor acting(I despise Michelle Rodriguez's character), but again. More boom boom boom.

9 hours ago, Cynosure said:

I don't know about others, but as far as I'm concerned, yes.

that is sad.

A movie with no future

Spoiler

(boat sank)

. Or a possible new franchise in the country.

I have never cared for Titanic, but I respect its success. I just don't get routing against a movie.

If you are Chinese SW getting big would mean more investment in your country from Disney. Seems short sighted to want it to fail.

On 11 January 2016 at 11:02 PM, peludo said:

I can agree with that. I was just comparing to HP1, not the whole Potter franchise, which we can say that has been at least extremely constant with its grosses along 10 years, something that is extremely hard. I agree that, right now, Star Wars has become the dominant brand.

Anyway, I will always have the desire to see what would had done today the 2 first Potter films and LOTR...

Misquote :P

Edited by TommyA10
Misquote

37 minutes ago, tokila said:

yet they loved F7. I guess explosions and car chases are universally enjoyed, while different types of drama and dialoge dont translate well.

But ya. The main reason F7 had a big bump from 6 in the US was whole dead actor thing. People tend to run out an see a movie that has a tragic event associated with it, Paul Walker's death in this case, same thing happened with TDK.

Movie had a stupid plot and poor acting(I despise Michelle Rodriguez's character), but again. More boom boom boom.

F7 made 6x the gross of FF6 in China, so I think there was something else at play besides simple market expansion (only 2 years separated the two sequels). Remains to be seen if Furious 8 can match or improve on F7's gross in China without Paul Walker. 

Edited by KP1025
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, KP1025 said:

F7 made 6x the gross of FF6 in China, so I think there was something else at play besides simple market expansion (only 2 years separated the two sequels). Remains to be seen if Furious 8 can match or improve on F7's gross in China without Paul Walker. 

was the song (see you again) popular in China? That is another way a movie can over perform in the US. It has a very popular song tied to it (See Armageddon, Titanic, Frozen, F7, 8 Mile, and the list goes on).

F7 had dead actor+ hit song. I was not surprised at all by how much it over performed.

Edited by tokila

34 minutes ago, tokila said:

was the song (see you again) popular in China? That is another way a movie can over perform in the US. It has a very popular song tied to it (See Armageddon, Titanic, Frozen, F7, 8 Mile, and the list goes on).

F7 had dead actor+ hit song. I was not surprised at all by how much it over performed.

It's possible the song helped. But I think a lot of people considered F7 the last movie in the franchise, so it had the boost from the finale factor as we've seen from Harry Potter and DH2. F8 wasn't announced until the overwhelming success of F7, and I think some fans will be upset they are milking the franchise for more money despite Paul Walker's passing. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, No Prisoners said:

About 18%

However yesterday pre-sales were down 10% from  Monday and it wound -17%. 

Sooooo, it can only get worse....:bravo:

Don't worry. Even if TFA doesn't beat Titanic's $2.187 billion worldwide, it will definitely beat its original theatrical run of about $1.8 billion. A potential re-release of TFA will take care of the ship's re-release total.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, TommyA10 said:

Don't worry. Even if TFA doesn't beat Titanic's $2.187 billion worldwide, it will definitely beat its original theatrical run of about $1.8 billion. A potential re-release of TFA will take care of the ship's re-release total.

Beating the original theatric run of a film from 1997 in a time before 3D in a specific region isn't a big deal.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, TommyA10 said:

Yep, but Titanic is a 1997 movie .., Titanic was released today would do  $3 billion.

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, TommyA10 said:

I hope your butt survive the showing of 8 movies... Anyway, based on boxofficemojo, Titanic 3D's release in China in 2012 may actually beat TFA gross... http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=intl&id=titanic3d.htm

37 minutes ago, bruchav said:

Yep, but Titanic is a 1997 movie .., Titanic was released today would do  $3 billion.

I would like to see a list of the admissions in the top countries in the world Titanic sold in 1998 and make a comparative how much dollars would they mean today.

• Like 3

WOM is... bad. really bad. I am officially worried for Rogue One and Ep8 in China. The Force Awakens is not introducing a new franchise to China, it is literally detering audiences from the franchise. 
At this point of time, there are fans who wished that Ep7 had not been shown in China, as it is dampening the prospects of the entire franchise in the future.

Edited by TigerPaw
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, tokila said:

that is sad.

A movie with no future

Reveal hidden contents

. Or a possible new franchise in the country.

I have never cared for Titanic, but I respect its success. I just don't get routing against a movie.

If you are Chinese SW getting big would mean more investment in your country from Disney. Seems short sighted to want it to fail.

And you think China wants or needs that.. why?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Polaroids said:

And you think China wants or needs that.. why?

Stock market is crashing. Economy is slowing. Yeah, they want it. Every country does regardless

2pm has been the midpoint for sales on the day. It's at 16.5m.

33m +/-1m  -15-20%

It's going to lose 1/4 of its screens tomorrow. 

2 hours ago, bruchav said:

A lot more than 3 Billion, even Avatar adjust to over 3 billion through inflation, if ignoring exchange rate, that does not even account for market expansion. Titanic was a considerably bigger movie than Avatar, I believe, both in China and US.

• Like 3

At this rate, 2016 imports that could do more than TFA (looks to be about 800m the most ...):

S&B, CA3, X-Men, WOW, Alice, ID4 2, ST: B, Bourne 5, IA5, FB, Dr. S ... 11 imports

Panda and Great Wall are local ... not imports

Edited by firedeep
  • Like 2