A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

Aren't drops to be expected on week days? I don't understand how a 25% drop on Tuesday means the film is fading since films tend to make a lot less on week days. Some are acting as if the film is a disaster of epic proportions like Star Wars when it is performing as expected on week days. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ShyGeek said:

If it ends with 130 million dollars, it is a great result. 2nd weekend will be the ultimate decider. You also can't forget the 2nd trailer of Endgame can boost interest in the film along the way. 

$130m off of an $89m opening is in no way a great result. Even with China’s short legged market, a 1.46x multiplier is a terrible result. 

Edited by VenomXXR
Wording
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bishop54 said:

Alita over CM in China, didn't ever expect that possibility.

I watched both movies twice each in theater. Gave Alita 7/10 on first watch, and 7.2/10 on second (would have been 7.5/10, but I can't get over the-eyes-bigger-than-mouth anime style). CM was 6.5/10 on first watch and 6.3 on second.

I can totally relate to Chinese audience reception in the context of comparing these two movies.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, ShyGeek said:

If it ends with 130 million dollars, it is a great result. 2nd weekend will be the ultimate decider. You also can't forget the 2nd trailer of Endgame can boost interest in the film along the way. 

What do you prefer, $50m OW / $135m total or $88m OW / $135m total? The total is the same but it does not mean the same. $135m total is a good result, but the way it is being made is very disappointing.

Edited by peludo
  • Like 3

27 minutes ago, ShyGeek said:

Aren't drops to be expected on week days? I don't understand how a 25% drop on Tuesday means the film is fading since films tend to make a lot less on week days. Some are acting as if the film is a disaster of epic proportions like Star Wars when it is performing as expected on week days. 

Tuesday after OW is normally one of the key numbers to see how legs are going to be. And a 23% drop as we are going to see today is horrible.

It going to have a huuge drop coming weekend

• Like 2
  • Astonished 1

2 minutes ago, EliasChristensen said:

I read about an extension for ALITA somewhere.

Is that true? If so, does the movie have the chance to develop late legs, especially with CM loosing showtimes and screens?

I believe by now the earnings are so small that it won't make much of a difference.

How much did Alita make today btw? Anyone? Like a couple 100k, 1m?

Edited by Elessar

4 hours ago, fmpro said:

Tuesday after OW is normally one of the key numbers to see how legs are going to be. And a 23% drop as we are going to see today is horrible.

It going to have a huuge drop coming weekend

We'll see. What should have it been like for the film to get a decent result on Tuesday?

Edited by ShyGeek

12 minutes ago, ShyGeek said:

People acting as if the film is done in China when barely a week was passed. Let's forget the HUGE opening for the first weekend. It's ridiculous. So all it takes are huge drops on Monday and Tuesday, WEEK DAYS, for people to think it's going to suffer an 80% drop. Maybe I'm naive but I'm too optimistic for this. Week days tend to have low numbers. It's having better week days than Black Panther and Thor: Ragnarok. 

This is doing huge numbers worldwide. Chill out. It's actually better to have cautious/conservative estimates so you won't be disappointed when the actual numbers aren't what you hoping for.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, ShyGeek said:

People acting as if the film is done in China when barely a week was passed. Let's forget the HUGE opening for the first weekend. It's ridiculous. So all it takes are huge drops on Monday and Tuesday, WEEK DAYS, for people to think it's going to suffer an 80% drop. Maybe I'm naive but I'm too optimistic for this. Week days tend to have low numbers. It's having better week days than Black Panther and Thor: Ragnarok. 

This is China, so yeah, I think the doom and gloom is justified as multiple films have proven. Gets real ugly. 

3 hours ago, EarlyDeadlinePredictions said:

The OW is great but the legs are terrible. This is coming from people who have been tracking the market on this forum for years. I'll trust them over random new accounts. 

I apologize for my tone. Changed it to peace. 

Edited by ShyGeek
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, ShyGeek said:

I apologize for my tone. I am probably overreacting. You are right. I guess I'm way too invested in this because I'm a big supporter of this movie and I don't want it to fail. I'm sorry if I offended anyone here. It isn't my intention. 

You guys need to chill.... 

marvel fans... 

Realistically speaking, the disappointment stems from the fact that it had a small bump on Saturday, and has not recovered since. As it then dropped hard on Sunday.. and the past two weekdays.

From what I am seeing and reading, Word of mouth is average among GA, nothing spectacular. The huge numbers on opening weekend (Friday/Women’s day in particular) is due to the brand popularity of Marvel plus the tie-in with End Game.

Captain Marvel aside, there are some local films coming up that are interesting.

I am interested to see how “More than Blue” (比悲伤更悲伤的故事)performs when it opens Thursday, Word of Mouth in HK and some mandarin-speaking countries are good, and it has done pretty well in those countries.

Edited by TigerPaw
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, Valonqar said:

CM's 1B is locked and it's gonna be sweeter without much help from the biggest market in the world.

Even with horrific legs, it's still more than for any other MCU solo movie.

Edited by MrGlass2
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

my point is that it doesn't need 200M from China to reach certain heights as it can be achieved from other OS markets.

It probably will need China to reach $1B. China will be the #1 OS market by a large margin:

International totals through Monday for Captain Marvel include:

China - $95.0M
South Korea - $25.3M
U.K. - $18.1M

Edited by MrGlass2
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

It probably will need China to reach $1B. China will be the #1 OS market by a large margin:

CM is in its 5th day of release with already 500M in the kitty so I'd say it's reaching 1B no matter where China BO ends up. There's no way it misses the mark even if made zero in China tomorrow. it doesn't need China to pass 1B only to add more above it. 

• Like 1