A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

1 minute ago, john2000 said:

it depends how much money will make ;) still i really hate this market sometimes if only bc they are so hard to please

I don't know, for a film that's made this much OW, I'm not seeing much enthusiasm, I like the film but it's very by the numbers and uninspired. This seems logical, I'll be surprised if it doesn't drop like a rock everywhere this weekend. 

2 minutes ago, john2000 said:

it depends how much money will make ;) still i really hate this market sometimes if only bc they are so hard to please

I like it precisely for that reason. It is unpredictable what can happen. Today CM disappoints (if we can consider disappointment to make a 50% higher than usual solo MCU films), and tomorrow Endgame makes 375? 400? more? It is so entertaining to follow...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, TimmyRiggins said:

I don't know, for a film that's made this much OW, I'm not seeing much enthusiasm, I like the film but it's very by the numbers and uninspired. This seems logical, I'll be surprised if it doesn't drop like a rock everywhere this weekend. 

we will see i didnt see much enthusiam for aquaman and venom so yes we will know soon enough

Just now, peludo said:

I like it precisely for that reason. It is unpredictable what can happen. Today CM disappoints (if we can consider disappointment to make a 50% higher than usual solo MCU films), and tomorrow Endgame makes 375? 400? more? It is so entertaining to follow...

agreed

7 minutes ago, peludo said:

End Game needs to make a lot more than 375m other wise it's just and IW and boring tbh. But marvel doesn't do that good in china in general. Always decent/good but never great (maybe IW but even that was very presale heavy and frontloaded).

8 minutes ago, pepsa said:

End Game needs to make a lot more than 375m other wise it's just and IW and boring tbh. But marvel doesn't do that good in china in general. Always decent/good but never great (maybe IW but even that was very presale heavy and frontloaded).

But Avengers films have always done very good numbers considering the size of the market in each moment:  Avengers ranked #7 in 2012 (4th among HLW films and the one which began the usual SH figures. Before TA, MCU was irrelevant in China)

Age of Ultron was #5 in 2015 (2nd among HLW, just behind F7)

Infinity War have ranked #5 in 2018 (biggest HLW film)

And if you consider Civil War as an Avengers film, it ranked #4 in 2016 just behind The Mermaid (local hit), Zootopia and Warcraft.

And in fact, IW is already at the same level than biggest HLW franchise in China (Furious). Another debate is if HLW films can break that barrier and jump to biggest local hits level.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, UserHN said:

Horrible legs, yeah,  but still better number than her counterpart in rival universe.

Film which was released 20 months ago and before the jump that the genre has done with 3 out 4 last films (IW, Venom or Aquaman). The other one was Ant-Man which 2 did better numbers than usual SH films too.

7 minutes ago, TheDarkKnightOfSteel said:

Didn't "counterpart" manage a great multy?Plus,counterpart did not have half then thi g going on for it like CM.

its easier to have a great mutli if the ow is small there see guardins 2 or thor 3

• Like 1

Likely to get a lot wtf or worse reactions, but I got to say this. I respect China market. CM is such mediocre movie compared to recent MCU solo such as Thor Ragnorok and Spider-Man Homecoming that it should not earn more than them. The heavy promotion and the tie-in to Endgame boosted its OD, but after that the movie has to face the audience on its own merit.

To those haters, and to those who demand China to show favor to MCU first female lead movie, China audience is like "I do what I would do, I like what I like", and "I got nothing to prove to you". 🙂😜

Edited by justvision
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Disbelief 1
  • Knock It Off 5

The overall total will be great as usual for superhero movie but the legs are a really weak compared to presales.

I guess if we got a low rating like BP right away people wouldn't have set themselves up for disappointment. 

Also these fanboy wars in China thread are really annoying. They liked Venom and Aquaman more than MCU movies. So what? MCU has a formula they like to stick to outside of rare cases and that clearly is preventing their movies from breaking out to full potential in China. 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, peludo said:

But Avengers films have always done very good numbers considering the size of the market in each moment:  Avengers ranked #7 in 2012 (4th among HLW films and the one which began the usual SH figures. Before TA, MCU was irrelevant in China)

Age of Ultron was #5 in 2015 (2nd among HLW, just behind F7)

Infinity War have ranked #5 in 2018 (biggest HLW film)

And if you consider Civil War as an Avengers film, it ranked #4 in 2016 just behind The Mermaid (local hit), Zootopia and Warcraft.

And in fact, IW is already at the same level than biggest HLW franchise in China (Furious). Another debate is if HLW films can break that barrier and jump to biggest local hits level.

Yeah but other marvel films have been pretty meh (I mean in 2014 they were great but now 120m - 140m isn't great. I mean a lot of movie do that now a day. Alita, bumbel the rock movies get there most of the time. Not that they do bad it's just they don't seem to click like in other markets. And End Game will have to be bigger than $370m it's OW will surely be better than IW but legs probably worse.