A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

5 minutes ago, TheDarkKnightOfSteel said:

Why would you think so ?

I am very curious about this movie's run in China.I don't think that this movie is their cup of team but it's still something fresh on a genre that China loves.

It seems very American to me, with many jokes that might not translate easily. Deadpool2 did horribly but it had a weird release there, months after the US.

No idea how Chinese moviegoers feel about teenage leads in a movie either.

1 hour ago, UserHN said:

It is really ironic that an Oscars Best Picture winner is being loved more internationally than in the US where it is controversial among many in Hollywood.

China's giant Alibaba is a major investor in Green Book. That has to be a factor.  And China's government favors these feel-good movies with positive messages and so do the people there with state media exposure.

“It is such an amazing picture, which includes humorous dialogue, excellent acting performance, and touching friendship,” Alibaba Pictures cited its president, Zhang Wei, as saying in its post Tuesday about the release date. “We are so honored to participate in the course of co-production, as well as to introduce it to the Chinese audience.” He added that the film “brings joy to audiences and transmits the values of ‘positive energy,'” using a popular Communist Party catchphrase.

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/green-book-lands-post-oscar-theatrical-release-in-china-1203115376/

And the movie is not really that controversial among Hollywood people. After all, they voted for it as Best Picture.

Edited by Neucentro
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Neucentro said:

China's giant Alibaba is a major investor in Green Book. That has to be a factor.  And China's government favors these feel-good movies with positive messages and so do the people there with state media exposure.

And the movie is not really that controversial among Hollywood people. After all, they voted for it as Best Picture.

I should have qualified my statement. It's very controversial among a very loud section of Hollywood, especially among many African-Americans who feel like this is another white savior movie. Lots of opinions on trades and major newspapers about how this shouldn't have won Best Picture.

6 minutes ago, UserHN said:

I should have qualified my statement. It's very controversial among a very loud section of Hollywood, especially among many African-Americans who feel like this is another white savior movie. Lots of opinions on trades and major newspapers about how this shouldn't have won Best Picture.

True, but many of those probably aren't voters. The "elite" members of the Academy (including overseas members) liked it and voted for it.

Edited by Neucentro

26 minutes ago, UserHN said:

What's your gut feel for Shazam worldwide? Greater than CM?

I would be absolutely shocked if it even sniffed 900 million. I'd guess 750 million worldwide and that's probably super generous but I'm optimistic. Looks awesome.

1 hour ago, cdsacken said:

I would be absolutely shocked if it even sniffed 900 million. I'd guess 750 million worldwide and that's probably super generous but I'm optimistic. Looks awesome.

Yeah, I think Wandering Earth WW level might be the initial goal for Shazam? Would be interesting to see.

$625 ww (above ant-man2) is possible for shazam with a great showing in china. if it does $325 china and dom combined then $300 os-china is possible with the strong social media reaction it has.

Edited by a2k
updating projection

6 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

Shazam gonna pull 3.25-3.5 legs IMO in states. Don't look like an opener. May be Ant-Man in legs with opening close to Ant-Man and The Wasp.

Yeah. It has like 3 weeks to itself. No major competition. I think Hellboy is gonna bomb. Although come to think of it, is Dumbo a competition to Shazam? They will open a week apart from each other, Dumbo first and then Shazam the next week.