A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

18 minutes ago, UserHN said:

But BP has really low Maoyan rating, 8.0 i think. CM has a China drop that is unfit for an 8.8 Maoyan.

I mean come on. That's just dumb. I liked Captain Marvel but Aquaman was better, Black Panther was so much better. For me easily #1 of all marvel films. Rewatchability of that film is so high. Yet Venom is near dead last of all comicbook adaptions I have seen (50+) and it did awesome. What makes sense in America doesn't necessarily make sense in China.

7 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

Japan is simply nuts

wtf happened to Japan all they watch now is Disney fantasy , animation movies and musical(again disney fantasies) unlike a decade ago when they were basically what China is to hollywood OS gross nowadays 

11 minutes ago, NamakFiskKa said:

wtf happened to Japan all they watch now is Disney fantasy , animation movies and musical(again disney fantasies) unlike a decade ago when they were basically what China is to hollywood OS gross nowadays 

and what's with the opening weekend #s. Early 2000s films still holding the opening weekend records.

19 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

and what's with the opening weekend #s. Early 2000s films still holding the opening weekend records.

From Corpse:

"Previews started to become less common in 2008, then Eiren (Motion Picture Association of Japan) decided they wouldn't be included in opening weekends anymore in 2010. And since then, previews (which includes midnights) have become a thing of the past with almost no film receiving any with the exception of very, and I mean very, fan-driven films such as late-night anime films getting a few theaters on board once or twice a year (if that).

In some situations, previews even included an entire weekend's worth of showings the prior week. Opening weekends these days appear much less "impressive" as a result, and will likely never challenge the very top of the charts."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4mn pre-sales for CM for Friday. At midnight shall be around 6mn, that shall be giving Friday of 30-35mn Approx, which looks like too much going by trend so far. If that happens, the second weekend will be close to 120-140mn or $18-21mn Approx (-76-80%).

I was expecting so low from the film, this looks like extraordinary trending.:hahaha:

Edited by Charlie Jatinder
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

Aamir Khan will be remaking Forrest Gump. Titled Laal Singh Chadha. Produced by Viacom 18.

Hide contents

4Forrest Gump

Director: Robert Zemeckis Starring: Tom Hanks 
1994 / United States / Drama Love

9.4 1067703 people evaluation

Forrest Gump is one of those movies that is near impossible to remake/reboot/spin-off (etc). 

2 hours ago, cdsacken said:

I mean come on. That's just dumb. I liked Captain Marvel but Aquaman was better, Black Panther was so much better. For me easily #1 of all marvel films. Rewatchability of that film is so high. Yet Venom is near dead last of all comicbook adaptions I have seen (50+) and it did awesome. What makes sense in America doesn't necessarily make sense in China.

You misunderstood my comment. I liked BP as well, the Chinese didn't so they gave it an 8.0 in Maoyan. And because of that, shorter legs are expected. Which it did.

Now, for CM they gave it 8.8. So shouldn't we expect better legs than BP. That 8.8 rating should result in a 1.8x to 1.9x multiple. But CM looks like it will end with a 1.5x to 1.6x multiple. That multiple isn't what you expect from an 8.8 rating. That's why I said 'unfit'.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LexJoker said:

He went little off topic with politics and SJW culture so @DeeCee threadbanned him.

China BO has been missing his input the last few days. :(

Regardless of where one stands those arguments suck. Might as well start talking about prolife/prochoice or gun control. (Horrible idea as well). I do like comparing the Chinese box office market to others that have shifted. Makes one wonder what it will be like 2030. The quality of their films really seems good, maybe the world will start watching even more. 

Can't wait for wandering earth to hit Netflix. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

4mn pre-sales for CM for Friday. At midnight shall be around 8mn, that shall be giving Friday of 40mn Approx, which looks like too much going by trend so far. If that happens, the second weekend will be close to 160mn or $23mn Approx (-74%).

Maoyan predicts 120mn Approx.

I was expecting so low from the film, this looks like extraordinary trending.:hahaha:

how bad is that in comparison to the historic horrific drop black panther had on it's 2nd Friday?

19 minutes ago, UserHN said:

You misunderstood my comment. I liked BP as well, the Chinese didn't so they gave it an 8.0 in Maoyan. And because of that, shorter legs are expected. Which it did.

Now, for CM they gave it 8.8. So shouldn't we expect better legs than BP. That 8.8 rating should result in a 1.8x to 1.9x multiple. But CM looks like it will end with a 1.5x to 1.6x multiple. That multiple isn't what you expect from an 8.8 rating. That's why I said 'unfit'.

Oh no I understand your comment and it makes perfect sense. It's just crazy and I certainly hope for 1.8 or 1.9 happens. That would be much better.