A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

18 hours ago, a2k said:

JUM3 is at $38 after $6 weekend and is looking at a decent 1.8-1.85x multi ($25 ow, $45-46 total). With just 7.6 rating that's not usual I believe. Smaller numbers can result in faster loss of theaters so it doesn't always make legs easy.

edit: I was expecting $100 total so am not happy with this result but am relieved it didn't do ~1.6x that a 7.6 rating can bring.

5 hours ago, TigerPaw said:

Cold weather, presales are not strong but if weather is good, people will still leave their house on the actual day to buy tickets. So the competition comes in when  audience is at the cinema looking at showtimes and deciding which movie to watch.

holdovers not strong? Sheep without shepherd seems to be holding well.

SwoS bumped Sunday and only down 50% today. Its a runner and will demand more shows this weekend.  Could beat Ip4 with the way PS look. 

F2 will still get to have its shows on Saturday with a solid PTA over the weekend and no direct competition. Still on course for $120m+

SW9 could get buried if it doesn't get a good reaction on Wed.  Im thinking under$30m total for now

J2 will hit 285m on Thur, with 4 new releases and a strong holdover it will have very few shows.  Just 10m more. 295m/$42m  1.7x OW

Stupid decision for Bona Film Group. Ip Man 4 already got nearly 90k showtimes on opening weekend. They just changed the date and pissed theaters off because it means they might cancel those tickets and pay back money. Theater managers will definitely be directed against Ip Man 4.

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, peludo said:

If my data are correct (using current exchange rate to get dollar figures):

1. Ne Zha: 4.972b Yuan ($711m)

2. Zootopia: 1.530b ($219m)

3. Coco: 1.212b ($173m)

4. Despicable me 3: 1.038b ($148m)

5. Kung Fu Panda 3: 1.002b ($143m)

6. TMK: Hero is back: 956m ($137m)

7. Frozen 2: 785m ($112m) (Current result)

8. Boonie Bears 6 713m ($102m)

9. Kung Fu Panda 2: 612m ($88m)

10. Boonie Bears 5: 605m ($87m)

Thank you!!!!
I thought big hero 6 did 90+

3 minutes ago, Mau said:

Thank you!!!!
I thought big hero 6 did 90+

In terms of local box office I always use the local currency. It has no sense to talk about dollars with exchange rates changing every day.

Big Hero 6 did 525m Yuan what today means $75m. When it was released it sumed up $83.7m for the WW number of the film. If I am not wrong, it ranks #14 among animated films, behind Your name, Big Fish Begonia and Stand by me, Doraemon,