A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

Can’t say so for Rogue One but TFA still did pretty well for a Hollywood blockbuster in China.

It’s just that all the concepts behind Star Wars like Jedi, the Force, lightsaber fights, etc... are things that Asians, and Chinese in particular, just don’t see as anything original or exciting. They’ve seen way better.

(and before any SW fanatics jumped on me, I’m American, and grew up with Star Wars. I love the series but admittedly, I always laughed at those lightsaber fights, most of them just seem pedestrian to me. I imagined it’s the same for a good portion of Chinese audience) 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mojoguy said:

I respect China for not getting aboard the Star Wars hype train.

If TFA was the only SW movie I've ever seen, I would also not understand why SW is popular.

I Have seen all the Star Wars movies and I still don't understand why Star Wars is so popular. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Tower said:

I Have seen all the Star Wars movies and I still don't understand why Star Wars is so popular. 

I guess the trick is not just to see them, but to grow up with them and see them in the right era and in the right cultural environment. When I first saw the OT movies in ~2013/14, I was bored out of my mind, the prequel trilogy was more interesting but still mediocre. I soon realized that I was certainly not the only one feeling that way.

These films are not that good in isolation, they're only that good when you're immersed in a cultural environment that is constantly reinforcing the idea that this franchise defines "greatness". When you're introduced to them in the wrong time and in the wrong settling (I certainly was), it really is just another franchise, in fact, even less appealing.

Star Wars fans often claim a sense of universality for these films, that Star Wars is for everyone, that's in fact a very American centric point of view. 

1 hour ago, Mojoguy said:

I'm way more interested in how The Last Jedi does in China than in the US.

I wonder why, nothing is suggesting that TLJ will have an exciting run in China, it's probably gonna do a bit more than Rogue one, a lot less than TFA, with mediocre to somewhat negative WOM. I don't expect drastic changes.

Edited by NCsoft

17 minutes ago, NCsoft said:

Star Wars fans often claim a sense of universality for these films, that Star Wars is for everyone, that's in fact a very American centric point of view. 

I wonder why, nothing is suggesting that TLJ will have an exciting run in China, it's probably gonna do a bit more than Rogue one, a lot less than TFA, with mediocre to somewhat negative WOM. I don't expect drastic changes.

The first point is very true, and we can see that reflected in the DOM/OS ratio of the Star Wars films. The domestic gross for TLJ is most likely going to be close to 50% of the WW total again.

In China, TFA and Rogue One only earned around 13% of what the films earned domestically. That's abnormally low for a major blockbuster (30-50% seems the average, with certain films even going above 100% of domestic) and just shows the huge disparity in interest for the Star Wars franchise. 

• Like 3

I wonder why, nothing is suggesting that TLJ will have an exciting run in China, it's probably gonna do a bit more than Rogue one, a lot less than TFA, with mediocre to somewhat negative WOM. I don't expect drastic changes.

TLJ will be big in the US, but I'm more interested in a country where SW isn't as big and how they will react to the sequel.

3 hours ago, KP1025 said:

The first point is very true, and we can see that reflected in the DOM/OS ratio of the Star Wars films. The domestic gross for TLJ is most likely going to be close to 50% of the WW total again.

In China, TFA and Rogue One only earned around 13% of what the films earned domestically. That's abnormally low for a major blockbuster (30-50% seems the average, with certain films even going above 100% of domestic) and just shows the huge disparity in interest for the Star Wars franchise. 

Pretty agree. It is not just that China has low interest in SW. The real "problem" is that it is so huge in USA that anything it can do OS it will always seem low unless it breaks all time record. SW7 did 1.1b OS but still with a 45/55 ratio, abnormally high for a huge blockbuster. The next film with a similar ratio in WW list is, precisely, Rogue One, with a 50/50.

And I do not think SW did a so bad result in China. In the moment it was released, it was the 9th biggest Hollywood film ever, just behind Furious 7, Transformers 4, Age of Ultron, Jurassic World, Avatar, Titanic, Transformers 3 and Mission Impossible 5. That means, behind the 2 biggest HLW franchises in China (Furious and Transformers), a SH sequel, which already had a solid base in China, the 2 biggest films ever (Cameron's monsters), another global hit (JW), and Mission Impossible, which seems the only strange entry.

Rogue One dropped a lot relative to SW7, but like it did everywhere. And now we are fearing that SW8 will not match what SW7 did, but it will happen everywhere, not only in China.

What people should start to asume is that nothing can be liked in the same way everywhere.

• Like 2

Monday est after service fees
Coco  -  18.4m/864.9m  -78% 
Paddington 2 -10M/114.4M  -71.4%
Loving Vincent - 4.7m/33.4m -58%
47 Meters Down - 2.9M/30.6M -59%
Justice League  -  1m / 686.5m  -64%
Darkest Hour - 0,67M/31.6m -58%
Only the Brave -  0.75m/6.5m

Coco has a bigger daily now than Zootopia on the same day, Zoo made another 400M in its remaining run.

• Like 11

I watched SW OT when I was small and was impressed by the story and the technology, which felt like a romantic action in space. Something new back then. The sabre fight was meh, but the idea of a laser sabre (a sabre you can launch by pressing a button) was cool. And the idea that  a sabre can be controlled that it can defeat laser guns were pretty cool, too.

I think if the Last Jedi can bring something technologically new, instead of relying only on the nostalgia, then it can flourish - otherwise, it remains something nice to watch and no more than that. The idea of a laser sabre fight being exciting by itself, like @Olive Skywalker said, would be delusional.

On 11/12/2017 at 1:39 AM, Mojoguy said:

So China hates Star Wars and is the only country holding TLJ back from making all the money.tucci.png

I think most non-English speaking countries performed significantly worse than the English speaking ones.

Tuesday est after service fees
Coco  -  16.45m/881.6m  -11% 
Paddington 2 -9.8M/124.3M  -2%
Loving Vincent - 4.1m/37.4m -11%
47 Meters Down - 2.7M/33.3M -10%
Justice League  -  0.97m / 687.5m  -3%

Only the Brave -  0.68m/7.15m
Darkest Hour - 0,64M/32.22m  

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, Olive Skywalker said:

Tuesday est after service fees
Coco  -  16.45m/881.6m  -11%