@Olive Skywalker

@Gavin Feng

@POTUS

What do you expect from TLJ?

600m/$90m

PS cooled down. False alarm on big bump

JL maybe flat tomorrow. good late legs

Coco's 31.5 Monday keeps it in line with Dangal with a 25% bump from Thursday

Coco PS will be up 15%, finishing at 4.85m.  Should translate to a 5-10% bump. WoM still building. It will not normalize with a 5-10% drop like Dangal and zoo did on their second Tuesdays. They some titanium Lt Dan legs now. If Thursday holds in the high 20s we'll see a third weekend bump like Dangal, only bigger. I would say its taking out its elephant gun to take a shot at Zoo but Paddington this weekend and 2 large screen consuming locals the weekend after may take a blow torch and a pair of pliers and get medieval on them legs.

I love gump and pulp. 94 was a great year

Edited by POTUS
  • Like 4

8 minutes ago, Olive Skywalker said:

Monday est after service fees
Coco  -  31.6m/533m -72% / +55%
Justice League  -  6.3m / 661m  - 66.4%

Darkest Hour - 3.1M/17.14m  - 47%
Fireworks(Japan) - 2.2M/72.94M -83%
Viking(Russia)  - 0.76m/12.37m -63%

Olive what's the potential for Mulan in China? Can it do $200M?

23 hours ago, ZeeSoh said:

Donnie Yen did not help Rogue One from falling significantly from SW7. Why would his presence boost JL by 50m?

Donnie Yen's presence in xXx did help it to a certain degree in China as many online booking sites put him front and center of the poster in China. Plus wave of reviews from China mostly talks about Yen's good performance.

For Rogue One, i thought i mentioned before?

TFA was a trainwreck in China, WoM wasn't good and it affected Rogue One negatively to a certain degree. Not forgetting Rogue One's bad chinese title of "Wai Zhuan" - Aka outside story.

And Rogue One had a 4x PS multiple on its opening day - which is very rare at that time and its because of Donnie Yen and Jiang Wen's performance. 

7 hours ago, UserHN said:

Does this mean that $150 million is now a lock for Coco, and that it is now setting its sights to a possible $180 million total gross?

Yes $150 is :locked:

I would lock $180m based on todays number but will wait til the weekend. Looking very possible. With an increase in tomorrows number I would say $200m but  its a matter of screens in the coming 2 weeks.

11 hours ago, Gavin Feng said:

optimistic $100M.

11 hours ago, Olive Skywalker said:

70-80M USD

What if TLJ has better plot and storytelling (such as anything but lame ReySkywalker and bad cousin vs. Good cousin bullsh*t)? Would it help TLJ pass 100m in China?

2 minutes ago, YourCake said:

What if TLJ has better plot and storytelling (such as anything but lame ReySkywalker and bad cousin vs. Good cousin bullsh*t)? Would it help TLJ pass 100m in China?

Chinese people did not grow up with Star Wars unlike the US. They are unfamiliar with the beloved characters. And when they got to see the TFA and R1, seems like they don't like it that much. So I don't think they care that much about storylines of a movie franchise they're not interested in.

38 minutes ago, UserHN said:

Chinese people did not grow up with Star Wars unlike the US. They are unfamiliar with the beloved characters. And when they got to see the TFA and R1, seems like they don't like it that much. So I don't think they care that much about storylines of a movie franchise they're not interested in.

I understand, even Japanese reacted the same. But they still hold on to the idea that TLJ will have something unique with Rey, Kylo and Star Wars is not cousin wars bullsh*t, i've spent many times to lurk in Japanese twitter, even searching through their SW katakana hashtag a lot. Now SW promotional campaigns in Japan only feature Rey, Kylo and some mask/non-human characters, like this

SzueRK8.jpg

QD7ZSLp.jpg

If SW lost Japan after TLJ, then this franchise is truly hopeless in Asian markets.

Edited by YourCake

59 minutes ago, YourCake said:

I understand, even Japanese reacted the same. But they still hold on to the idea that TLJ will have something unique with Rey, Kylo and Star Wars is not cousin wars bullsh*t, i've spent many times to lurk in Japanese twitter, even searching through their SW katakana hashtag a lot. Now SW promotional campaigns in Japan only feature Rey, Kylo and some mask/non-human characters, like this

SzueRK8.jpg

QD7ZSLp.jpg

If SW lost Japan after TLJ, then this franchise is truly hopeless in Asian markets.

Yeah, I'm kinda nervous about TLJ's performance in Japan. I hope it's near TFA but after Rogue One made only $39 million, I really don't have any idea. Star Wars seems to be the type of movie that is underperforming in Asia (except Japan so far). I think the movie will gross $650 million domestic and $850 million overseas for a $1.5 billion worldwide total. That is decent. 

Edited by UserHN

On 12/1/2017 at 6:36 AM, Jason said:

A friend is telling me that a lot of films produced in China are dubbed over in Mandarin by other actors even when the original actors speak Mandarin. I find this very, very confusing. Any insights into what's going on there?

I'm not saying other people are wrong but the main reason for this is that accents/dialects vary in different provinces. The actors are dubbed over so that there is one standardized accent in the drama. Some accents are hard to understand for Chinese audiences so if you have a drama with 5 actors from different provinces then it's gonna be hard to follow what they're saying. Also, SARFT has a regulation where they request (demand) TV Dramas to use standard Mandarin with no regional accent. 

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, UserHN said:

Is Mark Chao famous in China? He's one of the few Chinese/Taiwanese actors that I've found who knows how to speak English.

The TV version of Once upon a Time(三生三世十里桃花)starring him is very successful, but he is not a BO draw.