A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

1 hour ago, Saurabh said:

This is totally insane.500M$ weekend likely.Ticket price are much cheaper in China compared to US.Otherwise admissions are already at much higher level.Has China overtaken US now as the biggest movie market?

And China also has much more people. No wonder why Hollywood wants that market despite keeping very small percentage of the gross. All those people and you never known when things could change and allow studios to make more. 

This is totally insane.500M$ weekend likely.Ticket price are much cheaper in China compared to US.Otherwise admissions are already at much higher level.Has China overtaken US now as the biggest movie market?

It has. Lower ticket prices but much higher footfalls. And I think it has largest number of cinemas and screens.

On 2/16/2018 at 2:10 PM, Xiaoshu said:

2 p.m

MH 2 : 422M

DC 2 : 257M

TMK 3 : 131M

Red Sea : 91M

Bear 4 : 66M

Total 1017M 

2:30 pm

250m MH 2

230m DC 2

100m RS

64m TMK3

Total 716M (above in Yuan)

Total obviously way down from Friday but it should catch up some with more walkups/less sellouts today. Red Sea the big riser today and TMK3 the loser.

The weekend in USD is up to 320m officially already breaking the US domestic all time record (305m), with most of Saturday and Sunday to come.

Edited by eXtacy

15 hours ago, Saurabh said:

13 hours ago, marveldcfox said:

It has. Lower ticket prices but much higher footfalls. And I think it has largest number of cinemas and screens.

China now has 50k screen, US at 40k.

CNY sells out shows from 6am to midnight.  Its like an SW OD for all movies. Domestic doesnt have a day in the year like this. Our holidays boost BO but xmas nys and 4th of july are not like this. 

Over all ticket prices are 40% cheaper than donestic and box office was 35% in revenue last year  so the number of tickets sold has surpassed domestic but india leads the world with 2b annual tickets sold.

Donestic $11b BO 1.1b tix $10 average

China $7.7b BO  1.4b tix  $5.20 average

India $2b BO  2.2b tix  $1.10 average

India has more screens, number unknown due to 1000s of garage sized cinimas setup in villages through out the country.

Edited by POTUS
  • Like 5

29 minutes ago, POTUS said:

China now has 50k screen, US at 40k.

CNY sells out shows from 6am to midnight.  Its like an SW OD for all movies. Domestic doesnt have a day in the year like this. Our holidays boost BO but xmas nys and 4th of july are not like this. 

Over all ticket prices are 40% cheaper than donestic and box office was 35% in revenue last year  so the number of tickets sold has surpassed domestic but india leads the world with 2b annual tickets sold.

Donestic $11b BO 1.1b tix $10 average

China $7.7b BO  1.4b tix  $5.20 average

India $2b BO  2.2b tix  $1.10 average

India has more screens, number unknown due to 1000s of garage sized cinimas setup in villages through out the country.

I am from India.Don't go by wiki.Screens in India wld be close to 10k. 2.2b admissions is more than impossible.Even the biggest Blockbusters nowadays have less than 40 million admissions in India. Baahubali2(105 million) was an exception as it cut the North-South barrier.Even Dangal had around 39.5million admissions and apart from Dangal and Sultan(32.5million) no other movie in 2016 even hit 15 million admissions.I think 1.1-1.2 billion annual admissions likely for India.

• Like 2

Bajrangi Bhaijaan is releasing on 2nd Mar.Can anyone tell how much it can do in China?

Advance seems to be very weak.Can it capitilize a little bit on Dangal and Secret Superstar's success?

I dont think it will do well. No matter how good a movie it may be but it doesnt have Aamir Khan in it. Plus it is coming only 2 weeks after the super blockbusters which will still be going strong so yeah i wouldnt expect too mich from it 

China Box Office Feb.17
Monster Hunt 2 - $57.38M / $142.57M
Detective Chinatown 2 - $50.29M / $103.44M
Operation Red Sea - $22.86M / $43.06M
The Monkey King 3 - $14.44M / $69.13M
Boonie Bears : The Big Shrink - $10.53M / $29.83M
#MonsterHunt2 #DetectiveChinatown2

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Proxima Olive said:

China Box Office Feb.17
Monster Hunt 2 - $57.38M / $142.57M
Detective Chinatown 2 - $50.29M / $103.44M
Operation Red Sea - $22.86M / $43.06M
The Monkey King 3 - $14.44M / $69.13M
Boonie Bears : The Big Shrink - $10.53M / $29.83M
#MonsterHunt2 #DetectiveChinatown2

That's quite a big drop for MH2, no? Where is it heading with OW?

Sun's presales over Sat's:

Monster Hunt 2: -39%
Detective Chinatown 2: -13%
Operation Red Sea: +15%
The Monkey King 3: -45%
Boonie Bears: -22%

After today's overestimate, I'd like to change my prediction to: MH2-¥2.4B($380M), DC2-¥3.6B($568M), Rea Sea-¥2.5B($395M), TMK3-¥710M($112M), BB-¥650M($103M).

Edited by ymblcza
  • Like 2