A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

There is something which I find very intriguing. Hope we can discuss this. 

This is with regards to Monkey King 3 - do you guys think it was a wise decision to have the mass screening on Valentine’s? It earned big bucks that day but the WoM is atrocious and now it might even lose to Bonnie Bear in total Box Office.

if you were the distributor, would you have held it till Chinese New Year then release it? Knowing that the film is a pile of trash in terms of WoM?

36 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

This is with regards to Monkey King 3 - do you guys think it was a wise decision to have the mass screening on Valentine’s? It earned big bucks that day but the WoM is atrocious and now it might even lose to Bonnie Bear in total Box Office.

if you were the distributor, would you have held it till Chinese New Year then release it? Knowing that the film is a pile of trash in terms of WoM?

Before previews started, I already heard the movie is worse than the first one…So no surprise it flops.

52 minutes ago, Gavin Feng said:

Before previews started, I already heard the movie is worse than the first one…So no surprise it flops.

I rewatched the first and second while anticipating the third.

First Movie was actually not bad - but the CGI was atrocious, but I felt that Donnie Yen’s portrayal of Monkey King and action was really impressive. Storyline of Erlang Diety rebelling was too much of a risk taken by the studio though.

Second Movie... was lazy. CGI improved tremendously but there was 0 twist and it had a simple storyline similar to the tv shows/original books. Without any crazy outrage or risk taken, and with improved CGI, 2nd Movie was considered by many as an improvement.

3rd Movie is just Crap. Bad acting, bad pacing and bad plot. CGI at times were worse than the first (which was filmed in 2011).

Feb.18 estimates (¥)
Detective Chinatown 2 - 321M / 981.16M

Monster Hunt 2 283M / 1191.9M
Operation Red Sea - 184M / 458.94M
The Monkey King 3 - 65M / 505.57M
Boonie Bears - 63.6M / 253.32M

Mon's presales:

MH2: -39%
DC2: -22%
Red Sea: -8%
TMK3: -48%
BB: -28%

Edited by ymblcza
  • Like 6

19 hours ago, TigerPaw said:

It doesnt matter. WoM spreads quick and it would have dropped hard after day 1 CNY regardless like MH2, and JttW2 among others.  It would have made more on day 1 and 2 but VD's gross made up for it. 

MH2 continues to drop hard..  It'll miss 3b but should still beat MH and clear 2.5b

DC2 has a shot at 3.12b/ $500m

ORS continues to increase. Will rise over 200m on Mon, should clear 2b with this trajectory and 9.5 rating. Could it beat MH2? If it can increase to 250m+ on tues, i think so.

Edited by POTUS
  • Like 1

Feb.19 estimates (¥)
Detective Chinatown 2 - 310M / 1289.9M
Operation Red Sea - 217.2M / 677.8M

Monster Hunt 2 - 202.2M / 1393.3M

Boonie Bears - 56.1M / 309.45M
The Monkey King 3 - 44.2M / 550.95M

Tue's presales:
DC2: -27%
Red Sea: -18%

MH2: -39%

BB: -25%
TMK3: -43%

Edited by ymblcza
  • Like 5

16 hours ago, stephanos13 said:

This MONSTER from China is part of a blockbuster films that get released this time of year every year?

February in China is like the Summer in US? :)

There is no real parallel between Chinese New Year BO and any other time in any other territory. It’s like a weeklong supercharged holiday. Everyone is off of work and the entire family goes to the cinema. 

It also changes every year with the Lunar calendar so sometimes it falls as early as late January. 

Edited by jiangsen
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/18/2018 at 3:33 AM, POTUS said:

I read that local language films make up for a lot sales in make shift "shanty" theaters. 

I remember seeing a few movies like that in Bangalore when I was very young. I'm sure those still exist, those are like unofficial theaters i.e. most of the movies are pirated versions and PDVD prints. Tickets are way cheap and these are the only sources of mass entertainment for people who don't want to travel in the traffic and pay huge ticket prices (comparatively speaking)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, stephanos13 said:

This MONSTER from China is part of a blockbuster films that get released this time of year every year?

February in China is like the Summer in US? :)

It's more like Christmas-New Year Holiday. And Chinese New Year begins at the new moon of Aqurius, so sometimes in January.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Feb.20 estimates (¥)
Detective Chinatown 2 - 278M / 1574.29M
Operation Red Sea - 231M / 914.07M

Monster Hunt 2 - 152.8M / 1551.35M

Boonie Bears - 48.75M / 358.62M
The Monkey King 3 - 30.65M / 582.91M

Tue's presales:
DC2: -16%
Red Sea: -6%

MH2: -35%