A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

Bahubali - The Conclusion has opened well in China as its first day collected $2.43 million but it is the second biggest release ever in China for a Hindi film with 18.000 screens. The biggest was Secret Superstar with 21,000 screens. Hindi Medium which is the second biggest opened released on 17,000 screens.

The opening day collections were the fourth highest ever for a Hindi film but the film has a long way to go as its cost to release will be $9 million appx so at least $20 million will have to come for the Chinese distributor to be safe. Then if the film has the same deal as films like Secret Superstar and Bajrangi Bhaijaan, 25% of the gross after $20 million will come to the makers.

@Proxima Olive, @firedeep, @POTUS

I found this in boxofficeindia.com. Is this deal correct? This states the Chinese release cost for the producers of Bahubali 2 is $9M. I'm assuming the cost refers to dubbing etc.

Edited by jb007

48 minutes ago, jb007 said:

@Proxima Olive, @firedeep, @POTUS

I found this in boxofficeindia.com. Is this deal correct? This states the Chinese release cost for the producers of Bahubali 2 is $9M. I'm assuming the cost refers to dubbing etc.

I heard it's already profitable  for Local distributor after OW

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Cybil said:

Avengers Infinity war douban score is 8.4

Good score so far when you look at other movies of this size or type. 
Civil War is 7.5, Age of Ultron a 7.1 and The Avengers is 8.0
FF7 is a 8.3 and FF8 is a 7.1

EDIT - I also notice (with help of Google Translate) that it's ranked "better than" 95% of sci-fi movies and 96% of action movies. 

Edited by The Mad Titan
  • Astonished 1

6 minutes ago, Daxtreme said:

Is that score a final critics score, a bit like Metacritic, or will it change a lot?

It's like the RT audience rating or IMDB rating. It won't change a lot but can definitely go up or down a few points. The rating has 22000 votes so far and nearly 45% are 5 star and 37% are 4 star. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

So I know this is very early still, but I was wondering roughly what people thought Ant-Man and the Wasp will do.

Every MCU film since 2015 made $100M+ in China. I think AMatW is no exception unless it's really bad.

4 minutes ago, UserHN said:

Every MCU film since 2015 made $100M+ in China. I think AMatW is no exception unless it's really bad.

Ant Man doing 100m in 2015, makes me think Ant Man 2 could play for 200m, considering market expansion and Marvel’s brand growth. 

• Like 1

Just now, UserHN said:

Yeah, there’s a huge glut of solo films around the 100-120 band, but it seems like a mix of high hype movies/sequels with mixed-bad reception and lower hype movies with great reception and solid legs (Ant-Man 1, Doctor Strange are both 8.9 Maoyan if I’m remembering right). I’ve been wondering recently what its chances are of going decisively above that clump.

52 minutes ago, HouseOfTheSun said:

Ant Man doing 100m in 2015, makes me think Ant Man 2 could play for 200m, considering market expansion and Marvel’s brand growth. 

The expansion of the market has not helped to SH genre during last 4 years. Every SH film excepting Avengers (Ultron and Civil War) has done between 600 and 800 million Yuan, independently of the character or the brand (MCU, DC, Fox).

Guardians of the Galaxy barely increased 90m Yuan in a 3 years gap (+15%). A similar increase would give 770m Yuan for Ant-Man 2 ($120m). On par to Homecoming, for example.

But it remains to be seen if Infinity War success can make that the SH genre explodes from now as it happened after TA. Before first Avengers, MCU was residual in China. After TA, IM3 was able to jump to 754m Yuan (it remains to be the 4th biggest SH film in China). Who knows if this happens and Ant-Man 2 becomes the 2nd biggest SH film ever in China :ph34r:

• Like 6

2 hours ago, peludo said:

The expansion of the market has not helped to SH genre during last 4 years. Every SH film excepting Avengers (Ultron and Civil War) has done between 600 and 800 million Yuan, independently of the character or the brand (MCU, DC, Fox).

Guardians of the Galaxy barely increased 90m Yuan in a 3 years gap (+15%). A similar increase would give 770m Yuan for Ant-Man 2 ($120m). On par to Homecoming, for example.

But it remains to be seen if Infinity War success can make that the SH genre explodes from now as it happened after TA. Before first Avengers, MCU was residual in China. After TA, IM3 was able to jump to 754m Yuan (it remains to be the 4th biggest SH film in China). Who knows if this happens and Ant-Man 2 becomes the 2nd biggest SH film ever in China :ph34r:

I still remember this! MI4 crossed 100m while TA grossed 86m i was wondering that SH movies are not for Chinese market but then the real expansion occurred after its release benefiting all Marvel movies! IM3 was the first to experience this boom!

• Like 1

On 2018/4/29 at 11:07 PM, bangbingchan said:

Rampage Huge increase +250% in labour holiday.10bn isn't dead yet.900M is almost locked. 950-960M.10BN depends on AiW attack.$150M is very likely now.

$150M succeed.¥10BN still depends on AiW attack.980M-10BN.Rampage has expended another month running time.

1 hour ago, bangbingchan said:

if Antman release in September,impossible

Ant-Man and the Wasp will be released in July in the US. Is there another July/August lockdown on the Chinese side so that only local films can be shown? 

8 minutes ago, UserHN said:

Ant-Man and the Wasp will be released in July in the US. Is there another July/August lockdown on the Chinese side so that only local films can be shown? 

Usually China doesnt allows outside movies during the school summer holiday period. They might allow a few to release but it is likely that AM2 will release in Septermber just like how Spiderman Homecoming was released on September 8 in China while coming out in July in US/rest of the world. 

So even if AM2 has insane hype some of that hype will die down in the 2 months waiting period. Plus it will face lots of competition in September from other summer releases waiting to release after the lockdown period. 

Edited by ZeeSoh

3 hours ago, UserHN said:

Only The Meg is officially comfirmed release in August.Most of summer films will release in September even October.

8 minutes ago, UserHN said:

Is The Meg a Chinese co-production?

Yes, it was co-produced and will be distributed by a Chinese studio/company in China. It also features Chinese actors and is set in/close to China. Hence it is being allowed during that time. 

Edited by ZeeSoh