Neo

Pacific Rim: Uprising | March 23, 2018 | Steven S. DeKnight (Starz' Spartacus, Marvel's Daredevil) directing | John Boyega. Scott Eastwood joins as co-lead | Tag All Spoilers!

This seems like one of those movies that just seems to have a small yet loud group of fans online... I have no idea why they would choose to make a sequel 4 years after the "meh" first one. Hell, I doubt China will even care by then.

• Like 7

The only thing I want to see in the sequel - Daylight fight scenes with no rain anywhere. As good as that HK fight scene was, the night-time rain soaked filming made the Kaiju indistinguishable from one another. I only realized that the Kaiju designs were so well thought out months later when design art was leaked online.

• Like 1

The only thing I want to see in the sequel - Daylight fight scenes with no rain anywhere. As good as that HK fight scene was, the night-time rain soaked filming made the Kaiju indistinguishable from one another. I only realized that the Kaiju designs were so well thought out months later when design art was leaked online.

grim, your eyes must be really bad. :P

• Like 6

The fight scenes & special fx are awesome, the acting, the story - all suck.

No offense to the sweet-looking Japanese actress but she is rather stiff. 

Gotta disagree with you there. Iris Elba was great and I loved Ron Perlman despite his short screentime.

Also I liked the story, thought it was really interesting. Definitely think there's more to explore with a sequel.

Edited by Fancyarcher
  • Like 2

Certainly a surprise sequel announcement.  Maybe it was really successful on home video?

I don't think anything is successful on home video anymore. Maybe it got some great Redbox profits or something.

• Like 1

Certainly a surprise sequel announcement.  Maybe it was really successful on home video?

Not exactly.It sold a combined 2.5M copies Blu Ray and DVD. This does not include WalMart or Target special editions etc. so unless it really outsold everything else by a large margin it wasn't a big HV monster.  http://www.the-numbers.com/movie/Pacific-Rim#tab=video-sales

I think this is more of Universal wanting franchises to leverage not just in movies, but in their theme parks etc.

Edited by grim22
  • Like 1

Posted Image

I mean, yeah, I thought it was pretty likely after comments made in interviews with Legendary's higher-ups and kinda inevitable after Godzilla's success, but it's still good to get the confirmation.

Also, animated series!!! I actually mentioned earlier how much I would love a Pacific Rim animated series. I am very glee filled at the moment

• Like 3

You guys also have to take into account Merchandising which Pacific Rim lends itself to very very well (and I suspect is the main reason for the animated show).

It's the same reason Cars keeps getting sequels despite not being Pixar's most successful property box-office wise (or critically). It makes a ridiculous amount of money from all the toys and crap sold.

Edited by Rukaio Alter
  • Like 1