Neo

Pacific Rim: Uprising | March 23, 2018 | Steven S. DeKnight (Starz' Spartacus, Marvel's Daredevil) directing | John Boyega. Scott Eastwood joins as co-lead | Tag All Spoilers!

I take the same approach with this one I did with Tron 3. I will believe when they start filming.

It's obviously a little disconcerting, but again, if there were going to start shooting in just two months, they were AT LEAST calf-deep in preproduction.

Did Tron 3 even have a date or shooting schedule?

It's obviously a little disconcerting, but again, if there were going to start shooting in just two months, they were AT LEAST calf-deep in preproduction.

Did Tron 3 even have a date or shooting schedule?

It was supposed to start shooting this October and the release date being set doesn't mean shit :lol: Fantastic Four 2, Terminator 6 and 7 also have release dates. :lol:

The thing with Pacific Rim is that coming into this year when it was announced, Universal had no huge franchises. Then 2015 happened and Universal is swimming in franchises and potential franchises which makes Pacific Rim (and that horrible horrible horrible horrible Monsters Universe) a much lower priority.

• Like 1

It was supposed to start shooting this October and the release date being set doesn't mean shit :lol: Fantastic Four 2, Terminator 6 and 7 also have release dates. :lol:

Yes, release dates aren't the end-all-be-all. I look at them like verbal commitments in sports. It's not binding but you are pretty serious about it.

The difference about PacRim 2 and FF2 and Terminator 5&6 is that those were already planned out before the first movie was released as a part of a series.

They waited until they had a script and something solid before announcing PacRim 2's date. They makes me a little more confident that they really want to make it or are at least going about it the right way.

• Like 1

Universal green lighted PR 2 at a time when it was desperate for a big sci fi franchise;now they have one with the Jurassiac Park series and the PR films might have become redundent. And was always pretty risky;a big budget sequel to a film that only did modestly well at the box office. Much of the industry was surprised when Universal green lighted it.

They also got cold feet on "Skull Island" ,put that it turnaround,and now Legendary has taken it to Warners..pretty damn bizarre,given all the bad blood between Tull and Warners which led to the divorce. You have to wonder if Tull is not not gettan along all the well with Univerasl managment. Yes, there was Jurassic Park and Compton, but both of those were in development at Universal before the Legendary deal, and Legendary was made a junior partner in those films . I wonder if Tull did not,over the past couple of months ,begin to take all the credit for JW sucess and Universal's management did not take that well since it was a Universal film to begin with that Legendary was allowed to work on.

The thing with Pacific Rim is that coming into this year when it was announced, Universal had no huge franchises. Then 2015 happened and Universal is swimming in franchises and potential franchises which makes Pacific Rim (and that horrible horrible horrible horrible Monsters Universe) a much lower priority.

And Universal also deep sixed the Kong sequel,which has been picked up by Warners, of all people. I think that Universal had decided that one Giant Monsters franchise is enough,and any more would just be helping to dry up the market way too soon.

Universal doesn't really need PR, it's Legendary who are desperate for a franchise and all the films that have been successful for them were either owned or developed by the studio, Legendary just financed some of it, everything else has flopped. Tull needs to look at what happened to Relativity and stick with financing and not try and become a mini major

Edited by Jonwo

I dunno, they seem to be doing just fine with their slate over the last few years (which is a mix of financing and developing).

Yes, the last projects they developed and financed with no studio interference (As Above/So Below, Blackhat, Seventh Son, Pacific Rim) all did incredibly well  :ph34r:

Edited by CJohn

What do you consider "studio interference"? Why aren't you including stuff like "42"?

I was talking about movies where the studio only payed the distribution and marketing costs. Maybe because I had no idea 42 fit into that category?

Edited by CJohn

I was talking about movies where the studio only payed the distribution and marketing costs. Maybe because I had no idea 42 fit into that category?

Legendary is very involved with the development of their projects, whether or not they're co-producing with another company. In addition to stuff like GODZILLA and the Nolan projects, they do a fair amount of mid-budget adult-oriented dramas: Unbroken, 42, Straight Outta Compton (they've got STEVE JOBS coming up as well). Sure, there are some financial stinkers, but on the whole they've done really well, and they get a slice of some of the biggest blockbusters too (JW, for example). Plus they've branched out into television as well -- they bought Asylum Entertainment, which does stuff like "The Kennedys" and various sports programming, along with a ton of reality stuff. So I think they're pretty well diversified.

• Like 2