Neo

Pacific Rim: Uprising | March 23, 2018 | Steven S. DeKnight (Starz' Spartacus, Marvel's Daredevil) directing | John Boyega. Scott Eastwood joins as co-lead | Tag All Spoilers!

Legendary is very involved with the development of their projects, whether or not they're co-producing with another company. In addition to stuff like GODZILLA and the Nolan projects, they do a fair amount of mid-budget adult-oriented dramas: Unbroken, 42, Straight Outta Compton (they've got STEVE JOBS coming up as well). Sure, there are some financial stinkers, but on the whole they've done really well, and they get a slice of some of the biggest blockbusters too (JW, for example). Plus they've branched out into television as well -- they bought Asylum Entertainment, which does stuff like "The Kennedys" and various sports programming, along with a ton of reality stuff. So I think they're pretty well diversified.

SOC was in development at Universal before Legendary came in. Same with Unbroken I think. I was talking about movies where the studios only pay the marketing costs. 

• Like 1

SOC was in development at Universal before Legendary came in. Same with Unbroken I think. I was talking about movies where the studios only pay the marketing costs. 

Well, we're kinda dancing around the same issue, because I'm arguing that they don't need to only finance, they're well-balanced right now with all sorts of projects, both those they entirely develop and ones they are more just straight financiers.

Well, we're kinda dancing around the same issue, because I'm arguing that they don't need to only finance, they're well-balanced right now with all sorts of projects, both those they entirely develop and ones they are more just straight financiers.

I hope they don't cancel this. :(
  • Like 1

The film is probably the best popcorn flick of last year, but it had so many fucking stupid names.

Raleigh Becket

Stacker Pentecost

Newton Geiszler

Hermann Gottlieb

Hercules Hansen

All of whom were from English-speaking countries. I think del Toro may have been high when he came up with the characters.

As for actors: as much as the focus is on the Jaegers and kaiju, it is the actors who drive the film, so I would like some better ones for the next movie.

I know this is ancient, but I cant just let this go. Stacker Pentecost is an awesome name for a character in an action movie.

Edited by Wrath

Legendary is very involved with the development of their projects, whether or not they're co-producing with another company. In addition to stuff like GODZILLA and the Nolan projects, they do a fair amount of mid-budget adult-oriented dramas: Unbroken, 42, Straight Outta Compton (they've got STEVE JOBS coming up as well). Sure, there are some financial stinkers, but on the whole they've done really well, and they get a slice of some of the biggest blockbusters too (JW, for example). Plus they've branched out into television as well -- they bought Asylum Entertainment, which does stuff like "The Kennedys" and various sports programming, along with a ton of reality stuff. So I think they're pretty well diversified.

True, but Legendary is desperate for a big Franchise they own the rights to outright. Probme with many of the films you mention is they were not projects Legendary owned and had exclusive rights to, but projects they were brought on to.(Rumor is Universal let them in on JW as a sort of reward for signing a deal with Universal)They want a big franchise they have total rights to and own outright..something they have not got. They lost their most lucrative franchise..the DC franchise..when they left Warners.

If Universal does pull the plug on PR 2..which seems likely given the cold feet Universal has for the project..look for Legendary to shop it around to other studios.

I know that the PR franchise was a Del Toro creation, but Legendary were the ones that funded it,and if they signed the traditional three picture deal with Del Toro..which I bet they did ...it's theirs for all practical purposes until they give it back to Del Toro.

Edited by dudalb
  • Like 1

"Desperate" is overstating it a bit, I think. Of course they'd like one -- wouldn't everyone? -- but it's not exactly like their business model will collapse if they don't have one.

But, Tele, if they don't have a huge franchise then they're a failure of a studio and are going to go under. ANY FILM could put them so far in the red that they can't ever claw back. IT IS THE END!

Universal is unsure of this movie being made

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/hollywood-gorilla-warfare-s-universal-823715

Legendary wanted to produce a sequel to del Toro's Pacific Rim, which was made under the Warners deal and turned into one of those films that grosses a lot ($411 million worldwide) while being so costly that a follow-up isn't a sure thing. Sources say Legendary liked that the original performed exceptionally well in China, where the company is heavily invested, but for now the project — which had been ramping up to make a release date in August 2017 — has been halted indefinitely and will be pushed back (if it gets made at all).

There was never a business case to make this, unless the animated TV series blew up and had a new TMNT-type effect. A film with a $180 million+ production cost and a typical blockbuster global prints and ads budget really, really needs to do more than $411 million globally. Especially when over 25% of that $411 million came from China, where the studio gets back no more than 30% of the gross.

• Like 1