The Hurt Locker

27 members have voted

1. 1. Grade The Hurt Locker

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

This has been called overrated so many times that it's now gone the whole way around and become underrated. It really is as good as the reviews say it is; intense, well-paced, well-acted, and even if it's not an accurate portrayal of bomb squads in Iraq, I have a whole lot more respect for them because of this movie, and I think that counts for something.

A

Edited by tribefan695

I've always taken issue with this film. All the raves that it's a realistic depiction of life out there were bollocks. I may never have been to Iraq, but my dad was there when Saddam reared his ugly head the first time around. It's actually as generic, and uninspired as 90% of other war films, and I still don't get why this had all the hype and won best picture. Should have gone to the Basterds (even though Avatar was my personal favourite). There are some things the film does right, scenes with bonb diffusion are well done and intense, but as a character I absolutely Loathed Renner. Which basically makes it hard to enjoy the film.

As a war movie, not very good. So many things had me rolling my eyes. But, as a character study, excellent suspenseful moments and some very awesome shots, this movie gets a solid B. The acting from Renner is the Ace in the hole. I always had an eye on him since Dahmer, and I'm glad the bigger players are finally noticing his wonderful gift! Granted, I loved his Gem character in The Town more.

The first scene is good. I somewhat like Jeremy Renner in it, but as soon as Jeremy Renner goes all commando and ends up getting his friend injured, it just goes downhill.

Incredibly overrated movie. Many movies that year deserved an Oscar over this and Bigelow certainly didn't deserve hers. At least Zero Dark Thirty redeemed her in my eyes.

C+

• Like 1

I'm getting more and more glad I first saw this in October 2009, more or less before the overwhelming critical acclaim basically forced itself on everyone who hadn't been already aware of it. Not that I don't agree with it, to the contrary, but at least I'd had the opportunity to form my opinion quickly and surely without the deafening cries of "brilliant" and "overrated" coming at me from all sides.