baumer

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

128 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

The eagles aren't taxis. They might be inclined to momentarily help Gandalf, but they have better things to so than be a ferry service. ;)So, after sitting through this, are you inclined to watch the other LOTR movies?

I kind of figured that but I guess it wouldn't hurt to ask :PYeh I think I might finally watch them.. I think delaying for 11 years is long enough...
  • Like 1

A lot of people have been shitting on The Hobbit on the internet and this forum. After finally watching the movie I cant join them. I'm sorry fishnets, but this film kicks all kinds of ass. I had a fanfuckingtastic time watching The Hobbit! Its very enjoyable, fun, exciting and the three hour runtime feels surprisingly justified. Martin Freeman is perfect as Bilbo. I cant believe anyone else was even considered for the role. I dont think the dwarves were that good, but then again they sucked in the original book. There were too many of 'em, too many to make any of them real, interesting characters. If there had been like eight dwarves instead of 13 I think the results would have been better.

The most astonishing element of The Hobbit are the special effects. I have to say that these are among the best visual effects I have ever seen. I mean by god, the skin texture they use on the goblins, Gollum and that giant orc is so damn realistic that its almost creepy. My jaw was on the floor for most of the movie. :lol:

The trademark Jackson bloat isn't visible here. The only part where I got a little bored was when Gandalf and Hugo Weaving were standing around and talking very serious things indeed. Fortunately that segment was short, and then they move on to the good stuff. I found the so-cockney-it-hurts giants amusing, because I expected that any second one of them would go "SHUT YER ARSE YE FOOKING ---- BASTERD".

Overall I found this to be a very good, visually astonishing and entertaining movie.

4,5/5

• Like 6

Chalking this one up to being one of those films where I simply cannot understand some of the main complaints being made by many critics and forum members.

Bloat? No. The supposedly 'long' run time absolutedly flew by. The apparently boring and overlong introduction in Bilbo's house that I had heard SO much about was over in good time and I was left scratching my head wondering what on earth people had been on about.

Martin Fremen was near perfect as Bilbo, and I loved how Richard Armitage portrayed Thorin (sorry Fishnets you couldn't be more wrong there). Dwarves were admittedly largely forgettable, but the same and more could be said of the dwarves from the book.

I'm not going to pretend this was on the same level as any of the LotR films, because it isn't. The fact of the matter is I had a great time watching this and it far exceeded my lowered expectations created by the critics backlash. All this despite being forced to sit in truely abysmal seats that left me with back and neck ache for hours afterward.

IMDB rating shows that the GA loved this one (8.3 from 183k votes, it will most likely stay in the 8's with that many votes already) and I'm with them:

8.5/10.

• Like 2

7.5/10 Not great, but definitely worth watchingThe biggest thing this suffers from is coming out after the LOTR trilogy. I haven't read any of the books, so I can't compare the movies there, but it just seems like there was a lot of unnecessary silliness in the movie especially the first hour.

A lot of people have been shitting on The Hobbit on the internet and this forum. After finally watching the movie I cant join them. I'm sorry fishnets, but this film kicks all kinds of ass. I had a fanfuckingtastic time watching The Hobbit! Its very enjoyable, fun, exciting and the three hour runtime feels surprisingly justified. Martin Freeman is perfect as Bilbo. I cant believe anyone else was even considered for the role. I dont think the dwarves were that good, but then again they sucked in the original book. There were too many of 'em, too many to make any of them real, interesting characters. If there had been like eight dwarves instead of 13 I think the results would have been better.

The most astonishing element of The Hobbit are the special effects. I have to say that these are among the best visual effects I have ever seen. I mean by god, the skin texture they use on the goblins, Gollum and that giant orc is so damn realistic that its almost creepy. My jaw was on the floor for most of the movie. :lol:

The trademark Jackson bloat isn't visible here. The only part where I got a little bored was when Gandalf and Hugo Weaving were standing around and talking very serious things indeed. Fortunately that segment was short, and then they move on to the good stuff. I found the so-cockney-it-hurts giants amusing, because I expected that any second one of them would go "SHUT YER ARSE YE FOOKING ---- BASTERD".

Overall I found this to be a very good, visually astonishing and entertaining movie.

4,5/5

Wow first Beasts in your top 5 now this, I hate you today.
  • Like 1

Is it now? For me the Jackson bloat comes in when I start to get bored. In here I got bored only once throughout the whole thing

This was actually the first Jackson film I felt was obscenely bloated with pacing issues. King Kong didn't feel bloated to me at all.
  • Like 3

I feel like I was too tough on the film in retrospect, so I'll mention some scenes I really thought worked- 

- The homage to the car scene in Lord of the Rings

- The scene where Bilbo goes down the water slide at Hurricane Harbor 

- The end credits song where 2 Chainz sung their hit new song "2 Ringz" 

- When Joseph Gordon-Levitt became the next The Hobbit 

• Like 1

Watched this last night and thought it was surprisingly dull. The story was at best thin, the new characters, save for Thorin, were indistinguishable and the movie moved at a snails pace that I got kind of bored at a certain point. No doubt it looks great and the production design was excellent but I just was not interested in anything else except for perhaps Gollum's scene which manage to wake me up. Otherwise this was a bore of a film and although I will eventually see the other two movies, I have to wonder how the hell they'll stretch the story to fill another 5.5 hours...

It's not all bad, of course, with fine performances from Martin Freeman and Richard Armitage, I just wish the plot was more captivating.

***/*****, (C+, 5.8/10, 2.25/4)

• Like 3

Finally saw it and loved it. Not as good as the original trilogy but few movies are. Didn't think the first hour was a drag as some thought. Thought Freeman was great as Bilbo and McKellen was also great again. Thorn Bali, Bombur and Kili were pretty memorable of the dwarves but the rest didn't make an impression. And was a little meh on Radagast. Really liked the Peter Griffin Goblin. As for the Riddles in the Dark scene, in baseball sometimes a home run is hit an the outfielder doesn't even turn around that was the same thing I felt while watching. Great great great scene. I am really looking forward to th next film. A

Imo comparing to LOTR its not as good at all.

However as a good fantasy action adventure film its solid and easily beats other comparable films handily... Just skip the start and its a fun ride and theme music Misty Mountain Cold is beyond amazing... 

I think there is another big divergence between these forums and critics and audience reactions...

It scored high on all internet polls and with my friends and family.

A- 

• Like 2

I was kinda forced to rewatch this movie again recently, and while everything from the stone giants scene on was pretty damn good (with the exception of more deus ex machina than I thought possible) and exciting, the first half is almost Movie 43 level bad, with the exception of the battle at Moria flashback scene. That might be a bit of an exaggeration, but holy shit did the first half suck. I hope to God that DOS doesn't drag that terribly, because the second half of this movie had some really nice stuff in it. 

Imo comparing to LOTR its not as good at all.

However as a good fantasy action adventure film its solid and easily beats other comparable films handily... Just skip the start and its a fun ride and theme music Misty Mountain Cold is beyond amazing... 

I think there is another big divergence between these forums and critics and audience reactions...

It scored high on all internet polls and with my friends and family.

A- 

The biggest hits in 2012 and 2013, according iMDB:

The Dark Knight Rises: 8.6

The Avengers: 8.3

The Hobbit: 8.1

Skyfall: 7.8

Iron Man 3: 7.6

The Hunger Games: 7.2

The Amazing Spider-man: 7.2

And Hobbit is considered something close to crap...

• Like 1