baumer

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

128 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Domestic it's impossible... I wouldn't exclude world wide just now.

Dont say impossible just yet,  mass advertising can win back fans.. All up to the marketing team right now..

But with all the potential LOTR fans out there, I'll never rule out a domestic rebound Chd. :)

And this film definitely as a chance to snatch the overall king of the year from Im3.. Going to be interesting.

Come on Hobbit II...Smauggggg the Iron I :P.  Sad to see so many folks thought Hobbit I was a dissappointment. Ouch!

Agree. I think AUJ will be better considered once we had seen the whole trilogy. It is not LOTR, but I think it is a quite decent movie.

I think it has some memorable scenes and it could be really fun if it was split in only two movies or not split at all. But it's so long and unecessary and even the humor is really lame. Especially the scene near when Gandalf sits in a table and talks with the elves until you wish everyone was dead is excruciating. They really blew it by splitting this in 3 parts.

C+

• Like 1

Watch it again recently. Same feelings as the first time, maybe a bit better cause I knew what to expect. That kinda helped the movie felt a bit shorter. Still, it was, well, bloated. Things dragged on and got boring.C+/B-

• Like 2

Re-watched this prior to seeing DOS ... I love this world ... and enjoyed the lengthy introduction of Bilbo and the dwarves.  I felt at times that the set pieces were kind of repeating themselves (ie, Gandalf uses his power to save them) ... and that some characters didn't get fleshed out like those in the previous trilogy ... but it was a good, fun time for me. 

Personally, I love the 'prequel LOTR' aspect that is brought to these films, because I've not read 'The Hobbit' or have any interest in doing so ... hence 'being faithful' to the source material is irrelevant to me.

A-, maybe B+ for this movie. 

I did a recent rewatch. And while I still like it quite a bit. I will admit the first half did feel more tedious this time around. Still think the second half is still fun. And still think Freeman does a good job. Though with the exception of Thorin, Balin and to a lesser extent Kili or is it Fili the dwarves are pretty unmemorable. Changing from A to B+

Between A and B - depending on my mood.

Got a lot of backlash from people who expected something different - which is totally fine and justified. Many might not care about the less epic storyline, or about the additions, or the overall look (in most cases, I think, it is the HD and color grading that people actually dislike, not actually the technical CGI).

But I found it to be a great opening for the second Middle-earth trilogy. Indulging, a lot of Bag-end, a lot of moments where one could feel the high production value. It still has this vipe of an independent production with an enormous budget. Cannot help myself than feeling a lot of sympathy for this trilogy. A very un-cynical movie. Maybe not the best match for the extremely cynical movie-internet-board-community ;)

Surprised I didn't review it here.Unbelievably dull and bloated film with the most excruciatingly slow first hour. It didn't pick up much, either. Galadriel and the eagles' scene are by far the only shining moments in the film. No sense of danger or conflict whatsoever. I didn't feel like the characters were in any real danger. The humor was AWFUL.D

• Like 2

I thought the movie was barely alright. The only thing I really like in it is the Gollum stuff. I think that stuff is great. Oh, and the first part before the journey is so boring. I would give it a.......C(74)