iceroll

Weekend #s Hobbit 84.7 ROG 7.4 Linc 7.2 Sky 7.0 Pi 5.4 BD2 5.2 pg 90

Yup. Haven't seen any of the conversations here, but if $12.4-13m was disappointing to anyone its only because expectations were too heavily inflated. Same thing happened with Avengers, but perspective is important: this ain't summer. Nor is it Potter or Twilight. The audience has always leaned more heavily toward general crowds than rabid fans.

Disagree 100%. ROTK did 8 mill, this is not a great number. This is the biggest loonie franchise, at least on par with SW. It should have done more than 13 mill.

I dont buy this being great or its not summer and its not a twilight/potter. After all ROTK broke the midnight record back in 2003 and this movie was sold as a sequel/prequel to LOTR and based on all time best seller book.I would say this number is decent but definitely not in awesome territory. For that it should have at least grossed 20M. After all it played in 3100+ theaters for midnights.I think its cracking 100M with this midnight number(something like 13/33/35/25). I am still not convinced it will have great legs but I hope I am wrong.

• Like 2

Disagree 100%. ROTK did 8 mill, this is not a great number. This is the biggest loonie franchise, at least on par with SW. It should have done more than 13 mill.

No, it's not. Nothing beats SW/HP in terms of biggest loonie franchises.

• Founder / Operator

So you think off a 13 mill midnight it can do 150 OW?

Nah, my final was $130m.

You wait till Tron 3, Shawn...

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Well, we actually don't know that. As far as I know, ROTK broke the midnight record back in 2003 on a wednesday night in december.

LotR actually is the mother of big midnight numbers for book adaptions, so it's still early, "the Hobbit" could go from low 40s to mid 50s from here.

"Great" seems to be subjective around here but I'm not wanting to argue. Just saying that is doing exactly what it needs to so far in my opinion.

As for being the biggest loonie franchise though, that's not remotely true and you know as well as I do that title belongs to Twilight and Potter. SW and LOTR have always broadened their audience beyond rabid fans, that's why they never fell off a cliff after midnight and opening day. They held more general audience appeal and didn't rely solely on fans (like Potter and Twilight did).

All this number says is that the LOTR fan base showed up and most general audiences didn't. That was expected at midnight. That doesn't make it good or bad yet, its just an arbitrary number with no official perspective.

Edited by ShawnMR

It does have a completely different fan base to Twilight and HP fans of LOTR/Hobbit are not going to rush out in huge numbers at midnight to see it, it's not that type of movie. Also Midnight openings are much bigger factor now so to have a record breaking midnight opening now is much more impressive then it was back in 2003 when ROTK did it.

If you look at the biggest midnight numbers, you would know that all those films are either sequels, superhero movies or adaptations of RECENT books that skew younger....the hobbit doesn't fit into any of those categories.Also how is this the biggest loony franchise? A huge segment of LOTR fans are 40 years and older....not exactly midnight material like the young audiences of Potter and Twilight. And although this book has a huge following, it's not a recent phenomenon like those franchises either. It's a very old novel, that has fans of all ages. A 13M midnight is perfectly fine for this. Edited by Mr Potter
  • Like 1