CJohn

Ben-Hur | 8/19/16 | 7 minutes of Jack Reacher will play before the movie

Hoo boy, let's look at Paramount, shall we?

-13 Hours had an average theater run, but due to massive home media sales so far (40M+ and counting), it should be enough to not have it be considered a flop.

-Zoolander 2 was a disappointment, flop, and experienced a massive drop off even without ticket price inflation.

-Whiskey Tango Foxtrot made 23M on a 35M budget.  That's all I need to say.

-10 Cloverfield Lane was a surprise hit and made a lot of money with an impressively low budget.  Good job.

-Everybody Wants Some made 3M off a 10M budget.  Again, all I need to say.

-TMNT failed to make even 2x its budget.  Honestly, this was one of the biggest cases of sequel fatigue this year.  It should've at least crossed 100M.

-Beyond cost fucking 185M, and with weak overseas grosses, it's hard to see this not being a financial disappointment.

-FFJ cost 19M.  We'll see how it holds up in its following weekends before judging.

Two success stories, and the rest are financial failures.  Paramount needs to get its shit together.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ThatOneWardog said:

-13 Hours had an average theater run, but due to massive home media sales so far (40M+ and counting), it should be enough to not have it be considered a flop.

-Zoolander 2 was a disappointment, flop, and experienced a massive drop off even without ticket price inflation.

-10 Cloverfield Lane was a surprise hit and made a lot of money with an impressively low budget.  Good job.

-TMNT failed to make even 2x its budget.  Honestly, this was one of the biggest cases of sequel fatigue this year.  It should've at least crossed 100M.

-Beyond cost fucking 185M, and with weak overseas grosses, it's hard to see this not being a financial disappointment.

-FFJ cost 19M.  We'll see how it holds up in its following weekends before judging.

Two success stories, and the rest are financial failures.  Paramount needs to get its shit together.

Trek and TMNT doing poorly makes me depressed. I enjoyed those movies quite a bit 

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, ThatOneWardog said:

They didn't finance EWS or Florence, only the marketing which was very little (for the former at least).

7 hours ago, Rth said:

remaking a silent is ok haha. The  silent one was  the most expensive or one of the most expensive movies made for its time.

Remaking an obsolete non-CGI artefact from the dark cinema ages (before 2005 AD) is also more than OK then.

Otherwise modern viewers will never know of your precious dusty celluloid movies.

Edited by shayhiri
  • Like 2

A friend of mine got invited to an advance screening yesterday through his church. Apparently awareness among Christian groups is quite low and Paramount is making a last-minute push to drum up some interest among that crowd. He liked the film and apparently it was well received by the room.

Heck, he was so enthusiastic about it that I'm tempted to check it out now.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

The old film is a solid 8 out of ten for me.

I watched it as a kid and felt it was with a epic grand scope which you don't really see in Films as much today.

You can't see it in films today unless it's CGI and even that can't create the same scope.  I read it would cost over $400m to make now.  Also the talent and artistry behind and in front of the camera between the 59 version and this one is light years apart.  Might as well have Pitof direct Jay Courtney in Laurence of Arabia in Vancouver on green screen.

• Like 1