Impact

Best Actor-2013

I loved Nebraska. Incredibly touching movie. Still think Election is Payne's best, but if we're talking his comic dramas, Nebraska is definitely on the level of About Schmidt and Sideways (I still haven't seen The Descendants), in some ways it's even better due to B&W cinematography and no Hollywood charisma (which Nicholson couldn't entirely hide no matter how hard he tried) - it feels more lived-in and intimate. Just a wonderful old-fashioned drama/comedy that has a lot to say about old age, mortality and missed opportunities without explicitly stating it.

awww even more envious @ ppl going to the press screenings now :lol:  :wub:

sounds like I'll adore it

Idk ppl so sure about McConaugheyTHey might snub him imo

For those that have seen CP, without giving spoilers... Is Hanks the favorite as of this second?

While Hanks is excellent, I have to imagine he is a shoe in for a nomination and nothing more at this time unless narrative momentum builds. I think he'll be 3rd or 4th in the running when it's all said and done.

The field seems really strong this year. Best for me so far are Michael B. Jordan, Hugh Jackman, and of course Tom Hanks. Hanks is a sure bet; and I would love to see Jordan got in. Shame that this is Jackman's career best (IMO) but his chances are slim to none.

Can't wait to see Redford, Ejiofor, and Phoenix with all the raves they got. 

Edited by Sam

The problem with All is Lost is that it is likely actor will be it's only nomination. (Unless if it does get nominated for picture, wont be nominated for screenplay)

Keep in mind that out of all the best lead actor wins-only Last King of Scotland managed to win actor without any other noms. (Unless if you include the first year of the Oscars, but the guy won for 2 films)

The problem with All is Lost is that it is likely actor will be it's only nomination. (Unless if it does get nominated for picture, wont be nominated for screenplay)

it will def get tech noms as well

Not sure about that. I hope I am wrong but "Her" may not be an AMPAS kind of movie.

well even if the movie is not nominated across the board (tho it def will be nominated for like 4 techs minimum) Joaquin has a big chance for a nom imo

Def rooting for a surprise nom for Hugh. Really unlikely but still a girl can dream.

Edited by Leyla

I think we will get that again this year with that dude from 12YAS. He seems to have the award at this point.

This

but maybe Hanks will surprise

he has a big chance just b/c he's in both Cap & SmB & not to mention ppl love him

I rmember when I was 100% sure that Rourke would win for 'the Wrestler' lol I almost fell off my chair when he lost :lol: my prediction skills are sh*** most of the time

Edited by Leyla