Ariadne

Game of Thrones (TV ONLY) [Leaked Spoilers prohibited]

4 hours ago, CoolioD1 said:

honestly if you just watched the first episode and the most recent episode and you saw jaime's death you'd be like "yeah that makes sense" like he went from point A to point A because who needs an arc?

After all, an arc is just one part of a greater whole.  A circle.

Spoiler

• Haha 1

On 5/15/2019 at 5:27 AM, A Panda of Ice and Fire said:

Fun read, technically you could name your kid Khaleesi and just say “It wasn’t after Dany” since Khaleesi is a title.

Khaleesi.jpg

I've actually been on this boat.  Not sailing.  Just at the dock.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, filmlover said:

I'm just glad we'll find out in 5 days who sits on the Iron Throne and be done with it. That is, if the Iron Throne even still exists after all the destruction of the penultimate episode.

Westros is pretty much screwed,period.

Amused so many people where shocked by Dany's going over to The Dark Side. That she has a dark side has been established a since season one. She has always had a ruthless streak, and it has always been problematical if her concern for "the little people" was driven as much by politics (that's a very good image to have) as by genuine concern.

Not to mention her family has  a long history of insanity and they are pretty inbred..literally.

I think some people are still deluded by the idea there is going to be some LOTR happy ending. Ain't gonna happen.

As one of the Snow's said "If you think this will end happily, you have not been paying attention".

I agree Dany's turning was handled in a clumsy manner,but I don't think they did not prepare us for it.

I think that expectations were so high for the last season that any show would have had trouble meeting them.

I remember how disappointed people were in the last season of "The Sopranos".

Edited by dudalb

Oh boy, the only thing thing that could ruin this even further is cut-to-black in the middle of the damn final scene, Sopranos style.

That would make me throw my TV out of my window, I shit you not.

Edited by Boxx93

People keep pointing out that the show was always leading to this. And really, Dany going Mad Queen isn’t a problem. Yeah, it’s been foreshadowed and she’s made some questionable choices. It’s fine as a conclusion with better set up. But it’s like this season, the writers chose a few characters, some of whom have never even seen her do anything questionable (like Sansa and Arya) and have them repeatedly suspect Dany going mad like her father. Then they realized that wasn’t enough so they choose the quickest way to show it in a 40 min rampage. It just doesn’t feel earned. A few scenes of Dany looking paranoid and other characters making assumptions about her future rule don’t make a ‘burn everything to the ground’ moment good storytelling. 

Despite all that, I think the show is still solid overall based on past seasons. I had hoped Cersei died a painful death and that Sansa would win the throne. Main expectations I had were that Dany and Jon would lose/die, likely due to Dany becoming too ruthless and Jon too stupid. This season has been relatively poorly written but I can live with it since I didn’t have to wait 2 years for it. Benefit of binging the show last month lol. I do kinda wish I had just stayed a casual viewer though. 

• Like 2

On ‎5‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 3:17 PM, Napoleon said:

But she had already won, that's what people are complaining about.

People seem to have not paid attention that the Taerynans had a long history of going batcrap crazy. Which is what happened with Dany at Kings Landing.

Once again, I think that people simply were so caught up in the idea of the beautiful queen coming to make everything right they did not notice there were plenty of sings this was not going to happen.

5 minutes ago, Boxx93 said:

Oh boy, the only thing thing that could ruin this even further is cut-to-black in the middle of the damn final scene, Sopranos style.

That would make me throw my TV out of my window, I shit you not.

To this day, I still wonder what it would've been like had social media fully existed and not been in its infancy when that Sopranos finale aired.

26 minutes ago, filmlover said:

To this day, I still wonder what it would've been like had social media fully existed and not been in its infancy when that Sopranos finale aired.

The Sopranos ending makes perfect sense in retrospect if you look at that scene that he had was his brother-in-law on the canoe

4 hours ago, dudalb said:

People seem to have not paid attention that the Taerynans had a long history of going batcrap crazy. Which is what happened with Dany at Kings Landing.

Once again, I think that people simply were so caught up in the idea of the beautiful queen coming to make everything right they did not notice there were plenty of sings this was not going to happen.

Like other have said, the problem is not that Dany goes crazy. Thats actually something i wanted to see and what im expecting in the books to also happen eventually.

The problem is HOW it happened. The problem is the writing and the near complete 180 Daenaerys makes in the episode. Its absolutely unbelievable the way the show handles this. Its stupid.

They needed a whole season - at least 5 or 6 episodes more - of showing Dany going mad. But they rushed it.

• Like 7

I'm sorry, but I'd hate it if Daenerys turned mad even in the books. Everyone keeps saying: "It WaS FoReShAdOwEd!", but you can say that about literally every character in GoT. Wasn't Jon the one that hanged all those people that killed him, including a 12-year old, even though they objectively had every reason to, especially Olly? Wasn't he the one that didn't show mercy to Janos Slynt even though he begged him? Also Sansa. Didn't she enjoy feeding Ramsay Bolton to his dogs? Didn't she enjoy the death of Joffrey? I don't even need to mention Arya, that bitch must be crazy compared to them, if you look at her deeds as "foreshadowing". I mean, she made a pie from two humans and gave it to their father. Does that mean if they suddenly started burning hundreds of thousands of civilians, I'd be like: "Yep, expected."? EFFING NO, it still would be the stupidest shit ever. Enjoying the death of her enemies, or just killing them to get justice, does NOT mean she was turning mad, it just means she was like every other character in the show, but I guess some people just like those YouTube theories about her becoming her father so much that they have a hard time realizing other characters did the same shit without getting labeled as mental nearly as much as she did.

Edited by Titan Man

15 minutes ago, Titan Man said:

I'm sorry, but I'd hate it if Daenerys turned mad even in the books. Everyone keeps saying: "It WaS FoReShAdOwEd!", but you can say that about literally every character in GoT. Wasn't Jon the one that hanged all those people that killed him, including a 12-year old, even though they objectively had every reason to, especially Olly? Wasn't he the one that didn't show mercy to Janos Slynt even though he begged him? Also Sansa. Didn't she enjoy feeding Ramsay Bolton to his dogs? Didn't she enjoy the death of Joffrey? I don't even need to mention Arya, that bitch must be crazy compared to them, if you look at her deeds as "foreshadowing". I mean, she made a pie from two humans and gave it to their father. Does that mean if they suddenly started burning hundreds of thousands of civilians, I'd be like: "Yep, expected."? EFFING NO, it still would be the stupidest shit ever. Enjoying the death of her enemies, or just killing them to get justice, does NOT mean she was turning mad, it just means she was like every other character in the show, but I guess some people just like those YouTube theories about her becoming her father so much that they have a hard time realizing other characters did the same shit without getting labeled as mental nearly as much as she did.

You cant find logic in shitty writing by Dumb and Dumber. 

11 hours ago, Brainbug said:

Like other have said, the problem is not that Dany goes crazy. Thats actually something i wanted to see and what im expecting in the books to also happen eventually.

The problem is HOW it happened. The problem is the writing and the near complete 180 Daenaerys makes in the episode. Its absolutely unbelievable the way the show handles this. Its stupid.

They needed a whole season - at least 5 or 6 episodes more - of showing Dany going mad. But they rushed it.

I agree Dany turning  was very clumsily handled. but it was certainly foreshadowed.

I disagree they needed a whole season to do it. The idea of single event causing her to snap is perfectly plausible;probelm is it was not really well done.

And if go out on the net there are plenty of people who are screaming that Dany going to the Dark Side came out of nowhere. As one of the Snow's said, "You have not been paying attention".

7 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

You cant find logic in shitty writing by Dumb and Dumber. 

For the record,the writing has had lots of problems ever since the TV show outran the novels.

And even if it had been done perfectly, I think the person you are replying too would still be sceaming their heads off. Pretty clear they had heavily bought into the whole "Beautiful Queen Saves The Day And Makes All Right" narrative.

And there are lots of those out there, believe me.

Despite the fact that a LOTR "the world is healed" ending was NEVER in the cards for this series.

Edited by dudalb
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, dudalb said:

For the record,the writing has had lots of problems ever since the TV show outran the novels.

And even if it had been done perfectly, I think the person you are replying too would still be sceaming their heads off. Pretty clear they had heavily bought into the whole "Beautiful Queen Saves The Day And Makes All Right" narrative.

And there are lots of those out there, believe me.

Despite the fact that a LOTR "the world is healed" ending was NEVER in the cards for this series.

To show how bad of a job Dumb and Dumber did..

This is a simple tweak to the story and makes it way better...

"Danny attacks Kings Landing with two Dragons, where the 2nd Dragon was wounded by Euron's 'surprise naval' attack in the episode before. Danny is already in a troubled spot with the death of her best friend. 

She attacks King Landing with two dragons and when it seems the battle is won, the 2nd Dragon is killed by a Scorpion shot..

The bells ring as the cities surrenders asking for Mercy from Danny's Dragons....

and Danny sees the body of her child, her dragon dead on the field of battle.

She snaps..."

Would people be upset? Yes, but at least her snap is due to loss and sadness and not some magical switch that went off "oh lets burn some kids now" 

Just use sense here? Why was Infinity War so well loved even with such a downer of ending, because it was written well and it perfectly built to that moment. 

Edited by Lordmandeep
  • Like 3

The cinematography and directing were absolutely amazing, probably the best ever for a television show. Emilia Clarke also had the best acting performance I've ever seen from her. Sadly, those weren't enough to save the episode. Jaime was character assassinated once and for all. I really thought after last week that the writers were trying to fool us into thinking he was going to join Cersei only to kill her eventually but nope, he really was going to join and help her. I see what they were trying to do but the execution was poor and made Jaime look like an indecisive fool. Varys was also way too heavy handed with the way he acted, revealing to Jon that he was plotting against Dany despite knowing fully well that he (Jon) was still very loyal to her and didn't want the throne. Seemed out of character but they needed to kill him asap I guess. Ballistas were also suddenly much weaker and innacurate, how convenient. And Dany's descent into madness was rushed. I feel like a lot of problems of this season could have been solved if it was 10 episodes long. Nothing besides the Great War, really had the necessary build up it deserved. 

I'm seeing on imdb/mc that this episode is the worst received one with only a 49% score. I actually disagree, last episode was much worse. "The Last of the Starks" is like a 3/10 to me, while "The Bells" is probably a 5 or a 6 because even though the writing is still bad, the technical aspects (music and cinematography) and the acting of some characters (Tyrion, Cersei and especially Dany) were top notch.

Edited by Agafin
  • Like 2

Regarding the Jaime arc, I think it would've made more sense if he stayed with Brienne, but both of them went to fight to King's Landing. As he saw Cersei is about to die a horrible death, he realises he can't allow that, even though he got rid of her, she'll always be a part of him. It's not a thing of blind, toxic love, but a sibling love. He knows they're done, but she is still his sister and she is carrying his baby. Brienne realises that's something he must do and lets him go, and he dies with Cersei the same way they died at the end of the episode. It's obviously not an ideal conclusion to his arc, but it would've made more sense to me than just throwing everything away regarding his development as a person. 

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, dudalb said:

I agree Dany turning  was very clumsily handled. but it was certainly foreshadowed.

I disagree they needed a whole season to do it. The idea of single event causing her to snap is perfectly plausible;probelm is it was not really well done.

And if go out on the net there are plenty of people who are screaming that Dany going to the Dark Side came out of nowhere. As one of the Snow's said, "You have not been paying attention".

Yes it was definetly foreshadowed. But:

Foreshadowing isnt character development.

In order for us, the audience, to buy Danys descend into madness, we need to see her actually going into madness, we need to have proper and longer character development for that. But we dont get that. Dany in the beginning of Season 8 is literally the Dany we knew since Season 4/5. Her going mad happened at the end of Episode 4. Then she went full on crazy mass murderer one episode later.

Its just extremely poorly handeled imo. Daenarys alwayas wanted to free the world of slavery, tyrannie and bad rulers. She especially always cared about civilians and women and children.

Its totally possible for the character to go insane. But we dont actually get a proper, believable progression of her character to that point. Its all in 1 1/2 episodes. And sorry, thats just not enough. Its just lazy writing.

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Yes it was definetly foreshadowed. But:

Foreshadowing isnt character development.

In order for us, the audience, to buy Danys descend into madness, we need to see her actually going into madness, we need to have proper and longer character development for that. But we dont get that. Dany in the beginning of Season 8 is literally the Dany we knew since Season 4/5. Her going mad happened at the end of Episode 4. Then she went full on crazy mass murderer one episode later.

Its just extremely poorly handeled imo. Daenarys alwayas wanted to free the world of slavery, tyrannie and bad rulers. She especially always cared about civilians and women and children.

Its totally possible for the character to go insane. But we dont actually get a proper, believable progression of her character to that point. Its all in 1 1/2 episodes. And sorry, thats just not enough. Its just lazy writing.

I agree with a lot of your points.

But I also think some people would have been upset with Dany going over to the Dark Side  no matter how well it was handled. They just bought to much into the "Dany will save the world" idea.

5 minutes ago, dudalb said:

I agree with a lot of your points.

But I also think some people would have been upset with Dany going over to the Dark Side  no matter how well it was handled. They just bought to much into the "Dany will save the world" idea.

I dont disagree with that. Those people may have chosen the wrong story to watch then though, since a happy ending isnt what GoT was/is going for, whether the show or the books.