Ariadne

Game of Thrones (TV ONLY) [Leaked Spoilers prohibited]

26 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

I dont disagree with that. Those people may have chosen the wrong story to watch then though, since a happy ending isnt what GoT was/is going for, whether the show or the books.

A show spends eight years basically undermining and destroying every standard cliché and meme of Modern Fantasy, and people still expected it to follow the whole "The Chosen One Saves The World" happy ending.

I repeat the quote from the show about "You Have Not Been Paying Attention".

• Like 3

I’ll be honest, my first reaction to the episode was pretty negative.  But the more I reflect on it, the more I actually liked the episode.

There’s quite a few problems that won’t go away (such as how rushed the development is, and the disappointment that Jaime’s character ends where it started after all of that development), but those don’t feel as show ruining as they did after the episode ended.  

Dany’s snap was hella rushed, but in some way that suddenness put you in the shoes of the characters and people who have the same “WTF?” reaction.  She always had a paranoia when things weren’t going her way that she needed to make a grand demonstration to beat some fearful sense into people.  I think when she hears the Bells, Dany makes a decision to to choose ruling through fear (out of her own fear that these people will never love her, and will simply flock to Jon or the next best alternative unless she cements herself as somebody to be feared).

I think this moment needed more build up, and that could have happened if these last two seasons were normal 10 episodes in length.  But, since this is what we’re given, I think the destination makes sense and I can better enjoy all of the brilliant technical and acting work going on in the episode.

If we’re thinking about that foreboding “Winter is Coming” in the series, it’s fairly poetic for Winter to not just be an ominous, evil force that can’t be reasoned with.  Winter is brought on by humanity’s own doings and desire to secure power.

Imo, that’s probably where GRRM was intending to take his story thematically wise, and the books should hopefully be able to flesh that out in more detail.  But the main points of this seem to come across in the episode to me.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, A Panda of Ice and Fire said:

I’ll be honest, my first reaction to the episode was pretty negative.  But the more I reflect on it, the more I actually liked the episode.

There’s quite a few problems that won’t go away (such as how rushed the development is, and the disappointment that Jaime’s character ends where it started after all of that development), but those don’t feel as show ruining as they did after the episode ended.  

Dany’s snap was hella rushed, but in some way that suddenness put you in the shoes of the characters and people who have the same “WTF?” reaction.  She always had a paranoia when things weren’t going her way that she needed to make a grand demonstration to beat some fearful sense into people.  I think when she hears the Bells, Dany makes a decision to to choose ruling through fear (out of her own fear that these people will never love her, and will simply flock to Jon or the next best alternative unless she cements herself as somebody to be feared).

I think this moment needed more build up, and that could have happened if these last two seasons were normal 10 episodes in length.  But, since this is what we’re given, I think the destination makes sense and I can better enjoy all of the brilliant technical and acting work going on in the episode.

If we’re thinking about that foreboding “Winter is Coming” in the series, it’s fairly poetic for Winter to not just be an ominous, evil force that can’t be reasoned with.  Winter is brought on by humanity’s own doings and desire to secure power.

Imo, that’s probably where GRRM was intending to take his story thematically wise, and the books should hopefully be able to flesh that out in more detail.  But the main points of this seem to come across in the episode to me.

In other words, you  had to talk yourself into liking this week's episode.

If you h ave to talk yourself into liking something, it's means you basically don't like it.

21 hours ago, dudalb said:

Westros is pretty much screwed,period.

Amused so many people where shocked by Dany's going over to The Dark Side. That she has a dark side has been established a since season one. She has always had a ruthless streak, and it has always been problematical if her concern for "the little people" was driven as much by politics (that's a very good image to have) as by genuine concern.

Not to mention her family has  a long history of insanity and they are pretty inbred..literally.

I think some people are still deluded by the idea there is going to be some LOTR happy ending. Ain't gonna happen.

As one of the Snow's said "If you think this will end happily, you have not been paying attention".

I agree Dany's turning was handled in a clumsy manner,but I don't think they did not prepare us for it.

I think that expectations were so high for the last season that any show would have had trouble meeting them.

I remember how disappointed people were in the last season of "The Sopranos".

blah blah blah

people weren't expecting a happy ending, they weren't expecting rushed lazy writing of this magnitude 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, dudalb said:

A show spends eight years basically undermining and destroying every standard cliché and meme of Modern Fantasy, and people still expected it to follow the whole "The Chosen One Saves The World" happy ending.

I repeat the quote from the show about "You Have Not Been Paying Attention".

then takes 6 episodes to deliver 2 full seasons of story just because Dumb and Dumber can do Star War movies that likely are going to flop? 

Edited by Lordmandeep

9 minutes ago, dudalb said:

In other words, you  had to talk yourself into liking this week's episode.

If you h ave to talk yourself into liking something, it's means you basically don't like it.

No.  That’s putting words into my mouth.

I reflected on what we got, and saw it in a different light then in my blind watching.  My core issue of Dany’s snap being a rushed moment remains my core issue with the episode, but it doesn’t feel as jarring to me now as when I first finished watching the episode.

That’s how art works.  You reflect on it and your opinions about it change as you discover new things that are present in it.  Sometimes this reflection moves your opinion in a more negative direction, other times more positive.

For example, in episode 4, I started out rather positive about it.  And upon reflection found a lot of issues within the episode that made it a little sub-par to me.

Your opinion of something is allowed to exist in a space of both positive and negative.  There’s aspects of this episode that I really love, parts that I’m fine with, and other parts that I think could have been executed a lot better.  You can have a nuanced opinion on art where you can focus on both the positive, negative and neutral of it.  I actually think that makes for better dialogue than shitting on something and calling the creators “Dumb and Dumber, der” or just saying “WOW BEST EVER”

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Daxtreme said:

Can we stop with calling them Dumb and Dumber?

I hate this trend of "labelling" people. Kind of thing kids do in kindergarten to be honest

Well when you have a member who’s basically acted like a kindergartner since about December 2017 it’s to be expected 

Edited by DAR
  • Like 6
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, Daxtreme said:

Can we stop with calling them Dumb and Dumber?

I hate this trend of "labelling" people. Kind of thing kids do in kindergarten to be honest

The creators should be called dumb and dumber when they write a script that is worse then reddit fan theories.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Knock It Off 1

14 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I think you're posting on the wrong site. This is BOT, not 4chan

You guys always complain about my posts but never put me on ignore...

💁‍♂️

Edited by Lordmandeep

6 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

You guys always complain about my posts but never put me on ignore...

💁‍♂️

I have but I can still see if someone quoted you

4 minutes ago, filmlover said:

It's because the comedy (or what is in your mind profound observations) is too good to pass up on.

Comedy?

• Like 2