Ariadne

Game of Thrones (TV ONLY) [Leaked Spoilers prohibited]

4 hours ago, Daxtreme said:

Can we stop with calling them Dumb and Dumber?

I hate this trend of "labelling" people. Kind of thing kids do in kindergarten to be honest

Daxtreme has been labelling George Lucas quite much. He also believed TFA is the 15th greatest movie of all time

44 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

You guys always complain about my posts but never put me on ignore...

💁‍♂️

Given I often have to gather votes for the BOFFIES or the Top 250 lists, I don’t put anyone on ignore.

Also, an ignore button being present isn’t an excuse to have free reign acting like an ass 🤷🏽‍♂️ 

• Like 6

On 5/15/2019 at 12:57 AM, Ozymandias said:

Probably wouldn't have mattered much, this needed at least 1 more season(10 episodes) to really work.  

Maybe even 3 seasons to really bring this huge story together without too many shortcuts. This thread explains what changed in the writing process pretty well, and that a minor tweak here and there like many suggested wouldn't change that much. 

The way I see it first 4 seasons everyone had an easier job adapting an incredibly rich source material. Seasons 5-6 D&D tried to start cutting down the side plots that had massively grown in the books like Stannis, Martells, Tyrells, Faceless men etc. so the show doesn't hve to run for 15 years. And I think when they realised that this way it would still take them 5 more seasons to arrive at the finish line, they reverse engenered a fixed number of 13 episodes from their desired end.

The question I guess is why they did it? Why 13 episodes and not 50? The only answer I can find is that it was mostly a buisness decision for all involved. A show as expensive as GoT running for years on end makes sense only when it's the biggest thing around that everyone talks about.

Around season 5 to 6 ratings stopped jumping like crazy every year, there was already a mini backlash brewing and some viewers started being "over it". Both HBO and D&D feared that the massive part of the fanbase which is casual (and not 100% sure that BRAN IS THE NIGHT KING) will start getting bored like it happened with every other phenomenon show that run for too long. They feared they 'd be stuck in season 8 with a massive production and even more massive talent salaries for a show that will have the same viewership with season 2 without any of the buzz.

edit: I just saw a link to an old interview about HBO CEO saying that he wanted the show to run for 5 more seasons but D&D refused. I guess D&D decision is really perplexing if HBO was that much on board. Or it could be just PR talk.

Edited by Joel M

33 minutes ago, Joel M said:

edit: I just saw a link to an old interview about HBO CEO saying that he wanted the show to run for 5 more seasons but D&D refused. I guess D&D decision is really perplexing if HBO was that much on board. Or it could be just PR talk.

Nope. HBO knows this is their golden goose and the very reason why people suscribe to their channel package in the first place, they would have been glad to make this a 15 season show if they could, hence all this talk of spin-off shows.

Also I highly doubt popularity would die down, Game Of Thrones is the only television series that never dropped in average viewership in the ratings, every season got bigger than the last, this one being the biggest yet.

The fault of all of this disaster is solely on D&D and no one else. They got tired of the project, they wanted to take a shortcut and make less episodes and be done with it so that they can move on to something else (Star Wars). You can tell from the "Inside The Episode" videos that these guys really want to get out of Game Of Thrones and judging from the quality of season 8, it shows.

They should have gotten another showrunner after season 6 that is just as passionate for the material as D&D initally where when the series started and make 4 more seasons to end the story without the rushing. Shows change showrunners all the time so it's not a wild idea.

If D&D can't handle a behemoth like GOT all the way to the end, what makes me think that they won't drop the ball at the third Star Wars movie they make?

• Like 2

9 hours ago, RealCaptMarvel said:

Dumb and Dumber indeed what a waste of eight years LMFAO 😭🤣😂

pure trash of a show good thing I was never a huge fan of this pretentious edgy garbage

This is the kind of post the "Not Cool" reaction was invented for.

You can dislike the show and the showrunners as much as you want, everything is subjective when it comes to art. But resorting to childish namecalling is very low.

• Like 2

Another idea occured to me just now.

That little bird Varys was talking to at the beginning of the episode, she was also plotting to poison Daenerys with Varys through her meals, right?

If the whole point of the execution of Varys was for his betrayal for plotting against her then why not burn him with the little girl too?

Not only it adds more weight to the scene but it also does a much better job at building-up her madness if she's willing to burn little childen too and her snapping at King's Landing would have been much more believable. That and killing Rhaegal in this episode with the scorpions instead of the last one could have made the script much better.

• Like 1

The more i think about it, i actually believe the character that had the worst writing in Episode 5 wasnt Daenarys or Tyrion - it was Varys.

The Spider, the Man who knew everything and everyone, who had spies in the whole seven Kingdoms and beyond the sea - openly talkes about treason. To the man he knows loves the woman he (Varys) wants to betray.

I actually think thats a grave insult to the character.

Edited by Brainbug
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, DAR said:

Well when you have a member who’s basically acted like a kindergartner since about December 2017 it’s to be expected 

We have had a year and half of the guy we are talking about being unable to let go of his hatred for "The Last Jedi" and now we can look forward to his being able to let go of his hatred for the writers of "GOT".

Talk about obsessive and immature.

I have a lot of problems with "Last Jedi" and think a lot of the writing for the this season of GOT has been very clumsy...they are in real danger of "blowing it in the Ninth"...but I don't obsess about it  and whine endlessly about it.

Edited by dudalb

35 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

The more i think about it, i actually believe the character that had the worst writing in Episode 5 wasnt Daenarys or Tyrion - it was Varys.

The Spider, the Man who knew everything and everyone, who had spies in the whole seven Kingdoms and beyond the sea - openly talkes about treason. To the man he knows loves the woman he (Varys) wants to betray.

I actually think thats a grave insult to the character.

I agree. Varys seems to become incredibly stupid for a guy who is supposed to be one of the smartest...though evil..people in Westros.

2 hours ago, Brainbug said:

This is the kind of post the "Not Cool" reaction was invented for.

You can dislike the show and the showrunners as much as you want, everything is subjective when it comes to art. But resorting to childish namecalling is very low.

Don't feed the Trolls, it only encouragtes them.

RealCapMarvel is one of the more notorious Trolls on this site;it the same shtick all the time: go into a thread about a popular franchise...Bad Mouth it with name calling without ever giving the reasons why you don't like  it..then move to another thread and do the same. He never gets into a serious discussion.

And if you give him an angry respoinse he has won;angry responses is how he gets his kicks.

Just ignore Trolls. Only way to get rid of them.

1 hour ago, Boxx93 said:

Another idea occured to me just now.

That little bird Varys was talking to at the beginning of the episode, she was also plotting to poison Daenerys with Varys through her meals, right?

If the whole point of the execution of Varys was for his betrayal for plotting against her then why not burn him with the little girl too?

Not only it adds more weight to the scene but it also does a much better job at building-up her madness if she's willing to burn little childen too and her snapping at King's Landing would have been much more believable. That and killing Rhaegal in this episode with the scorpions instead of the last one could have made the script much better.

You assume they actually know about the little girl

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Amadeus said:

Daxtreme has been labelling George Lucas quite much. He also believed TFA is the 15th greatest movie of all time

Maybe,but that does make his comments about the guy he is talking about there any less true.

2 hours ago, 4815162342 said:

You assume they actually know about the little girl

She said to Varys that the soldiers where watching her, then Varys responds "of course they are, that's their job".

So yeah, they knew about the little girl.

1 minute ago, Boxx93 said:

She said to Varys that the soldiers where watching her, then Varys responds "of course they are, that's their job".

So yeah, they knew about the little girl.

Varys meant by that that the soldiers are watching everyone who approaches the queen, because they're supposed to

Edited by 4815162342
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

Varys meant by that that the soldiers are watching everyone who approaches the queen, because they're supposed to

She was bringing her meals, so she had to approach to Daenerys, or at least that's what the conversation with Varys implies.

Edited by Boxx93