RyneOh1040

Friday Numbers - ED 30M+, JP 17 (30M and 17M predicted OW)

Kill me then.It is a big blow for me.I can't see why they wouldn't churn more and more, since such release only costs 10m. and makes much more. There are so many old classics that would make a killing in this format...

Marketing costs more though.

The problem is, there aren't many films that can compare to Jurassic Park when it comes to its overall cultural impact and relevance. As far as being beloved by the audience, it's likely a top 5 film. At least among people willing to see a movie in the year 2013. If JP only makes $18M on opening weekend, you can assume that most everything else would be well below that.

You'd really have to take a look at films that also have super dedicated fanbases, like Star Wars or HP.

One other thing I'd like to point out: if JP3D came out 2 years from now, AFTER a 4th JP movie, there's no way that release of JP3D would come anywhere close to $18 million. No one would give a rats ass about JP3D after just watching JP4 in the theaters a few months earlier.

• Like 1

http://www.deadline.com/2013/04/first-box-office-evil-dead-and-jurassic-park-3d-start-strong-in-late-shows/#utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

1. Evil Dead (FilmDistrict/Tristar/Sony) NEW [Runs 3,025] RFriday $11.9M, Saturday $9.1M, Weekend $26.0M

2. G.I. Joe: Retaliation 3D (Paramount) Week 2 [Runs 3,734] PG13Friday $6.4M, Saturday $8.8M (-49%), Weekend $20.7M, Cume $86.2M

3. The Croods 3D (DreamWorks Animation/Fox) Week 3 [Runs 3,879] PGFriday $6.0M, Saturday $8.3M, Weekend $20.0M, Cume $124.8M

4. Jurassic Park 3D (Universal) NEW [Runs 2,771] PG13Friday $7.0M, Saturday $7.5M, Weekend $18.7M

5. Tyler Perry’s Temptation (Lionsgate) Week 2 [Runs 2,047] PG13Friday $3.4M, Saturday $4.4M, Weekend $10.3M (-50%), Cume $38.7M

6. Olympus Has Fallen (FilmDistrict) Week 3 [Runs 3,059] RFriday $3.1M, Saturday $4.3M, Weekend $10.2M, Cume $71.2M

7. Oz The Great And Powerful (Disney) Week 5 [Runs 2,905] PGFriday $2.4M, Saturday $3.3M, Weekend $8.0M, Cume $212.5M

8. The Host (Open Road) Week 2 [Runs 3,202] PG13Friday $1.8M, Saturday $2.2M, Weekend $5.2M (-51%), Cume $19.6M

9. The Call (TriStar/Sony) Week 4 [Runs 2,002] RFriday $1.1M, Saturday $1.5M, Weekend $3.4M, Cume $45.4M

10. Admission (Focus Features) Week 3 [Runs 1,407] PG13Friday $664K, Saturday $850K, Weekend $2.0M, Cume $15.3M

• Like 1

Prometheus is on HBO right now.

The total idiot ball aspects of it really really hurt the fact that loads of the first half is pretty damn good.

When I watched Prometheus last night I found that it works very well when viewed as a horror comedy, but fails utterly if taken as a serious science fiction film. Parts of it are just gut-bustingly hilarious because the film is filled with people who are simply too stupid to live. Every single one of them deserved to die screaming. It was only too sad that all of them didn't.

And of course Ridley Scott's horrified fascination with female reproductive organs was on full display once more. The man must have had an encounter with vagina dentata once, that's all I can figure. 

• Like 1

I can't see why they wouldn't churn more and more, since such release only costs 10m. and makes much more. There are so many old classics that would make a killing in this format...

No there aren't. JP is pretty much the pinnacle of having a nosalgia draw + visuals that could actually utilize 3D somewhat effectively. Yet it'll 'only' make 18m this weekend (a number I think's pretty good but won't encourage studios to continue the re-release fad).

Edited by Hatebox

No there aren't. JP is pretty much the pinnacle of having a nosalgia draw + visuals that could actually utilize 3D somewhat effectively. Yet it'll 'only' make 18m this weekend (a number I think's pretty good but won't encourage studios to continue the re-release fad).

...and maybe a 40 M final gross which is still big.

Very strong 2nd wknd expansion for PlaceBeyondPines: $695k, 30 thtrs, $23k avg. Gosling/Cooper combo still selling.

OZ THE GREAT AND POWERFUL: $8.17M Weekend (est) / $212.77M Domestic Total / 2,905 Locations / $2,813 Location Avg.

• Like 1