Shawn Robbins

Weekend Discussion: IM3 @ 175.3m wknd est

The more I think about the twist, the more I like it.

It didn't "depower" the villain at all because Mandarin was only supposed to be a terrorist orchestrating bombing attacks, anyway. Never was it implied that he was personally committing any of the violence, with the exception of shooting the Roxxon accountant in the head. The Extremis soldiers were the ones behind the bombings, whether deliberately or not. So even if Mandarin had not been revealed to be a sham concocted by Killian, he didn't have any real powers and would have relied on the Extremis soldiers to do his fighting for him.

The real villain was Aldrich Killian, who was actually the most powerful and frightening foe Iron Man has faced in any of his films. Killian said during the final battle, "I am The Mandarin," which is the truth that is being overlooked here. He used an actor to create a stereotypical terrorist facade behind which he could hide as he carried out his real schemes. The Mandarin was a distraction, created to dupe the military into chasing shadows and bait Iron Patriot into a trap. Killian wanted revenge on Tony, yes, but he also needed Tony to fix the flaw in Extremis so that he could avoid the explosive fate of his hapless soldier guinea pigs. That's a spin on what Tony did with Hansen's flawed formula in the comics that a lot of people who consider themselves rabid fans seem to have overlooked. 

Killian was Fing Fang Foom because he breathed fire and had dragon tattoos, Ben Kingsley was playing the double bluff, which will be revealed in Iron Man 4.

:lol:

• Like 4

TA2 has a very good chance of breaking the OD record, and maybe hitting 100M OD.   But it will be 4 years (nearly half a decade!) since DH2 opened, so what do you expect?

• Founder / Operator

ZOMG SPOILERS SHAWN!

Weird, it was spoiler tagged when I last saw it... sorry!

FYI everyone: Please don't quote spoiler posts as it just proliferates the spoilers even more. PM or make a general post. ;)

It didn't "depower" the villain at all because Mandarin was only supposed to be a terrorist orchestrating bombing attacks, anyway. Never was it implied that he was personally committing any of the violence, with the exception of shooting the Roxxon accountant in the head. The Extremis soldiers were the ones behind the bombings, whether deliberately or not. So even if Mandarin had not been revealed to be a sham concocted by Killian, he didn't have any real powers and would have relied on the Extremis soldiers to do his fighting for him. The real villain was Aldrich Killian, who was actually the most powerful and frightening foe Iron Man has faced in any of his films. Killian said during the final battle, "I am The Mandarin," which is the truth that is being overlooked here. He used an actor to create a stereotypical terrorist facade behind which he could hide as he carried out his real schemes. The Mandarin was a distraction, created to dupe the military into chasing shadows and bait Iron Patriot into a trap. Killian wanted revenge on Tony, yes, but he also needed Tony to fix the flaw in Extremis so that he could avoid the explosive fate of his hapless soldier guinea pigs. That's a spin on what Tony did with Hansen's flawed formula in the comics that a lot of people who consider themselves rabid fans seem to have overlooked. 

I couldn't agree more.
  • Like 1

TA2 has a very good chance of breaking the OD record, and maybe hitting 100M OD.   But it will be 4 years (nearly half a decade!) since DH2 opened, so what do you expect?

Not a valid reason.

Plenty of time yet for general public.Half of the moviegoers go to see an original movie after they hear about it from others who have seen it, anyway.I showed the 2nd trailer to my nephews and both went crazy. Just watch when the trailer hits the theaters with that boat scene.

There is time, totally. But they're not acting a confident studio with a hit on their hands. We have seen that with The Man of Steel ever since that Christmas trailer.

That Pacific Rim trailer has played to crickets at my screenings and they have yet to do another one. (That WonderCon footage doesn't count since it isn't playing in theaters). Its big problem is it looks like a Transformers knock-off with monsters and we've seen countless films follow the "giant robots fighting" angle to no success. To the general public, if it isn't Transformers, they don't care and even that brand is getting tired (I will put money down Transformers 4 will be the lowest grosser in the US and might not even break $300M).

It didn't "depower" the villain at all because Mandarin was only supposed to be a terrorist orchestrating bombing attacks, anyway. Never was it implied that he was personally committing any of the violence, with the exception of shooting the Roxxon accountant in the head. The Extremis soldiers were the ones behind the bombings, whether deliberately or not. So even if Mandarin had not been revealed to be a sham concocted by Killian, he didn't have any real powers and would have relied on the Extremis soldiers to do his fighting for him.

The real villain was Aldrich Killian, who was actually the most powerful and frightening foe Iron Man has faced in any of his films. Killian said during the final battle, "I am The Mandarin," which is the truth that is being overlooked here. He used an actor to create a stereotypical terrorist facade behind which he could hide as he carried out his real schemes. The Mandarin was a distraction, created to dupe the military into chasing shadows and bait Iron Patriot into a trap. Killian wanted revenge on Tony, yes, but he also needed Tony to fix the flaw in Extremis so that he could avoid the explosive fate of his hapless soldier guinea pigs. That's a spin on what Tony did with Hansen's flawed formula in the comics that a lot of people who consider themselves rabid fans seem to have overlooked. 

I agree.

Killian himself says that he's the Mandarin. Looks like just a different take on Mandarin which I actually liked very much.

:)

Edited by druv10
  • Like 1

PACIFIC RIM if you ask me.That will be golden among kids.Transformer beating Godzilla with Titanic.... who could want anything more?

I'm rooting for PR because we could really use the START of a franchise this summer (particularly one helmed by Del Toro) and not a bunch of franchise continuations. I think there's a cap to how much it can do (200+ sounds crazy to me) but 500m WW can certainly fall.

• Founder / Operator

I'll panic if WB doesn't release a new PR trailer by Memorial Day weekend. Until then, I think they're in a good position: let the big boys have their time to shine, and then swoop in with something entire differently than what we've seen this year.

If they make a hard push now, they not only risk over-spending on marketing, they'll get overshadowed by Trek/Fast/Hangover/Man of Steel/MU/DM2.

Edited by ShawnMR
  • Like 2

I agree.

Killian himself says that he's the Mandarin. Looks like just a different take on Mandarin which I actually liking very much.

:)

I don't think he needed to say it, seemed like an as you know scene by then.Sorry Shawn.

Hitting 91M OD in in 2011 is oh so more impressive than hitting 100M in 2015. 

Not really. 48M nonmidnights, TA2 would be at 65M+ so The Avengers win again.

I'll panic if WB doesn't release a new PR trailer by Memorial Day weekend. Until then, I think they're in a good position: let the big boys have their time to shine, and then swoop in with something entire differently than what we've seen this year.

So, ShawnMR, what would you give IM3? A, B, C?