grim22

Fifty Shades Darker | February 10th, 2017 | First Trailer on Page 13

I obvs don't know for sure, but this whole EL James is a monster and wants more control, is the same stuff that was said about stephenie meyer, I wonder if is just some misogynistic crap against female authors, I never see any ~crazy author stories that are for male authors :rolleyes:

I obvs don't know for sure, but this whole EL James is a monster and wants more control, is the same stuff that was said about stephenie meyer, I wonder if is just some misogynistic crap against female authors, I never see any ~crazy author stories that are for male authors :rolleyes:

Well, the main object of James's harassment and ego trip is a female director so that doesn't fit into the sexism theory. Also, nobody bashes the good female authors such as JK Rowling and Suzanne Collins (nobody sane i.e.).  

Edited by Spidey Freak

Maybe its because she's a shit writer and fails to recognise that she got lucky with the success she had and it was nothing to do with her intelligence. Its not sexist, especially when a female director improved on her shitty script, its just the fact that she sucks as a writer.

I thought Stephenie Meyer was pretty much hands-off with the Twilight movies? Regardless, I think it's more sexist to assume that the bashing of EL James must be because she's a woman before assuming that people might have actual reasons. To clarify, the bashing is because her ego is out of control - and it has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that she's a woman. She's a terrible writer, but her success (which owes more to clever marketing than her books' quality) has clearly gone to her head to the point where she actually thinks she knows best about something she actually doesn't know anything about - making movies. She butted in where her ideas and opinions weren't wanted in the first movie, and now she supposedly wants to be the one to actually write the damn script for the second movie. And she can't write! She needs to step back and take a page from the other successful authors who have seen their work adapted for the screen - back the hell off and let the filmmakers do what they need to do. If she didn't want to relinquish that control, she never should have signed over any rights at all. (More importantly, the studio should never have agreed to give her this current degree of control when they bought the rights from her in the first place. They dug their own grave, and this will undoubtedly go down as a cautionary tale for future adaptation deals in the future.)

Edited by Nutterbutter
  • Like 2

I thought Stephenie Meyer was pretty much hands-off with the Twilight movies? Regardless, I think it's more sexist to assume that the bashing of EL James must be because she's a woman before assuming that people might have actual reasons. To clarify, the bashing is because her ego is out of control - and it has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that she's a woman. She's a terrible writer, but her success (which owes more to clever marketing than her books' quality) has clearly gone to her head to the point where she actually thinks she knows best about something she actually doesn't know anything about - making movies. She butted in where her ideas and opinions weren't wanted in the first movie, and now she supposedly wants to be the one to actually write the damn script for the second movie. And she can't write! She needs to step back and take a page from the other successful authors who have seen their work adapted for the screen - back the hell off and let the filmmakers do what they need to do. If she didn't want to relinquish that control, she never should have signed over any rights at all. (More importantly, the studio should never have agreed to give her this current degree of control when they bought the rights from her in the first place. They dug their own grave, and this will undoubtedly go down as a cautionary tale for future adaptation deals in the future.)

I don't agree at all. Even if I don't like her books, saying she is should recognize she's a shitty writer that got lucky is totally stupid. The woman wrote a book and that book sold millions so people clearly think the book is good. Following your line of thinking you could say Michael Bay is a bad filmmaker which he is not. Also, she demands the control because: 1. She can do it in the position she is now. 2. Her book was changed so much in the adaptation and I bet she's not happy withit. Regardless of what stupid critics say, it is her book. Why would she think it is bad? Of course she wants her movie closer to her own vision. I'd want that. Any author would want that if he/she had the power to actually act in that direction like James does. And, again, it's your creation. You were the one that created an universe loved by millions, not some Hollywood studio and you know better than anyone else how the things work in your universe.

• Like 1

1. Yes, I agree, she technically can do it due to her current position. She demanded creative control and the studio foolishly gave it to her. She is not incorrect, so to speak, to want to do what she was specifically granted the right to do in her contract.

2. Of course she wants the movies to follow her vision. I doubt many authors sign over the rights to their books with the intention of having the story completely rewritten in the film script. But they need to recognize that, while they created the story, they are not, in fact, an authority on how to turn it into a movie. They don't know anything about making movies, and neither does EL James. And so, just because she could do just about whatever she wants with the movie, thanks to the terms of her film deal, doesn't mean she should. She doesn't get it. She thinks "I wrote the books, I know the story and the characters better than anyone, and I know what fans like because I'm a fangirl myself and I know what it's like" and thinks that makes her qualified to write and produce and basically create the whole movie. She's not qualified to do any of that. She doesn't know what she's doing in this particular capacity (or in the book capacity, but that's another thing). There's more to it than "I know the story more than you guys." And that's not even getting into the fact that she is, frankly, an awful writer and is simply not qualified to write a script on those grounds alone. James seems to either be oblivious to that or, back to the ego thing, figures that even though she knows she's technically not a good writer, that didn't stop millions and millions of people becoming fans of the books she wrote so it won't stop them liking her script, either! Because that's how life works!

Basically, I think EL James needs to take a step back and realize that being the creator of the story doesn't mean she's qualified to be an authority on the movies. Ramming her ideas down their throats and insisting on the final say-so on every little detail is one thing, but writing the darn thing herself when she has no experience whatsoever doing any such thing (and can't write worth a darn anyway)? Now she's just deluded.

(And Michael Bay makes notoriously "bad" movies, critically speaking, but he caters to the kind of crap that specific fans want. He's an actual filmmaker ... just for different kinds of movies. He knows the business. He knows what he's doing.)

Edited by Nutterbutter

I say let her do what she wants, either it will follow her vision and become another big hit in which case fair play or it will be a disaster and knock her confidence back down to reality.

Only problem is, it's not her money that's making these films so I can fully understand why universal are worried about letting her have full control. The film could end up being banned if she decided to keep it exactly as it is, that would be a disaster for the studio.

If it were up to her, the first movie would have had three times the sexual content and the MPAA would have slapped it with an NC-17. If she wanted her vision expressed that way, she should have sold the rights to some indie production company for an arthouse distribution and not to an actual studio who's first and foremost in the business of making money.

And like I said above, part of me almost wants her to write the script for the sequel. I am mordidly curious to see just how terrible a movie can actually be. I might even go to the theater to see it, armed with my Bag O' Things To Throw At The Screen.

• Like 1

Btw lmao at the sly dig at Bay again, 'caters to the kind of crap fans want', no he just makes films for entertainment and that's what normal every day people want. It's not 'specific' fans he makes films for, it's just a specific amount of over serious movie goers who want deep meaning in their movies that he doesn't cater for and let's face it, there aren't that many of those on the planet. Just because a critic dislikes the way of Bay, that doesn't mean it's 'crap, it just means his style doesn't fit with their formulaic way of judging a film.

Hey, I'm not knocking Michael Bay. I love that kind of "crap." Sometimes I don't want Citizen Kane. (Which, by the way, I have never been able to sit through without falling asleep.) Sometimes I want stupid, mindless nonsense that serves no real purpose other than to hurt my ears and eyes and occasionally brain. Sometimes I just want to eat popcorn and watch ridiculous creations do impossible things while a bunch of things get good and blowed up for no logical reason. A good majority of the time there is little to no artistic value in any of it, and damn it, that's okay.

Edited by Nutterbutter
  • Like 1

I remember reading that Rowling called for all-British actors to make up the cast and she was given final script approval on most, or all, of the movies, but I don't think she ever wanted to actually write the scripts herself and she more or less let the filmmakers call the shots.

I don't know how involved Collins was in the decision-making of the Hunger Games movies. I know she co-wrote the script for the first movie, but then she actually was a screenwriter prior to writing novels. (For kids' shows, yes, but she has the experience and know-how.)

I think Meyer was involved in the Twilight movies to the extent that they kept her in the loop, sought her advice and input when warranted, etc. I don't think she was very heavy on demands or had very much clout on insisting on too many things being done a certain way.

I've heard that Veronica Roth is not very involved in the Divergent movies' production at all. She's on the set sometimes, she offers opinions, they ask her opinions, but she didn't really have any control over what they chose to do and by her admission that's perfectly fine with her. I don't know about James Dashner (The Maze Runner).

With the YA adaptations, I think involvement with the author is more of a necessity than other types of adaptations since the fanbases for those franchises are much more insistent on the movies' faithfulness to the source material. The movie folks are more inclined to seek out the creator's input as they attempt to keep the adaptation as close as possible while still creating something that actually works as a movie. (Frankly, I think a large part of why so many YA adaptations end up as crappy movies is because they follow too closely to books whose story structures really only work in book form.) But for the most part, most of these authors let go and let it be. They were all involved but, to varying degrees, were essentially hands-off.

Edited by Nutterbutter

I'm writing a prequel to 50 Shades of Grey right now where a young Grey gets beaten and sexually violated by an older woman, leading to his love of S&M. I'm gonna change the names of the characters and then sell it to the highest bidder. Watch this space!

Edited by Darth Homer
  • Like 4

I'm writing a prequel to 50 Shades of Grey right now where a young Grey gets beaten and sexually violated by an older woman, leading to his love of S&M. I'm gonna change the names of the characters and then sell it to the highest bidder. Watch this space!

fanfiction.net

• Like 1

Well I am sure it will be much better than anything E.L. James has written.

I am not surprised by rumors of her behavior. This is a woman who was a fangirl of the Twilight universe. So much that she devoted time to write a sex fantasy based on the characters. Fanboys/girls are usually the most psycho with details and refuse to let anything be changed when adapted.

• Like 1

I remember reading that Rowling called for all-British actors to make up the cast and she was given final script approval on most, or all, of the movies, but I don't think she ever wanted to actually write the scripts herself and she more or less let the filmmakers call the shots.

I don't know how involved Collins was in the decision-making of the Hunger Games movies. I know she co-wrote the script for the first movie, but then she actually was a screenwriter prior to writing novels. (For kids' shows, yes, but she has the experience and know-how.)

I think Meyer was involved in the Twilight movies to the extent that they kept her in the loop, sought her advice and input when warranted, etc. I don't think she was very heavy on demands or had very much clout on insisting on too many things being done a certain way.

I've heard that Veronica Roth is not very involved in the Divergent movies' production at all. She's on the set sometimes, she offers opinions, they ask her opinions, but she didn't really have any control over what they chose to do and by her admission that's perfectly fine with her. I don't know about James Dashner (The Maze Runner).

With the YA adaptations, I think involvement with the author is more of a necessity than other types of adaptations since the fanbases for those franchises are much more insistent on the movies' faithfulness to the source material. The movie folks are more inclined to seek out the creator's input as they attempt to keep the adaptation as close as possible while still creating something that actually works as a movie. (Frankly, I think a large part of why so many YA adaptations end up as crappy movies is because they follow too closely to books whose story structures really only work in book form.) But for the most part, most of these authors let go and let it be. They were all involved but, to varying degrees, were essentially hands-off.

And then you have Percy Jackson, which is a huge YA series, bigger in sales than Divergent, The Maze Runner, Fault in Our Stars (the series is still in Top 10 New York Times bestselling children books for the 355th week; that's more than HP was on the chart) and look how that turned out, exactly because Rick Riordan had no saying in it. He actually said he didn't even bother watch the movies since he was not allowed to do anything. That should have been a big franchise, the fanbase was there, but they destroyed the first movie and butchered the second one.