baumer

Thurs Numbers STID 11.4 GG 3.4 IM3 3.3

I never cared enough about Trek to make any predictions, but the trailer was effective and reviews are good. What Went Wrong may be premature right now, but Paramount will be biting their nails all through the weekend.

• Like 1

I`m loving this. They wasted too much time marketing the villain instead of the iconic crew. As if the villain is The Joker, Vader or other icon GA knows and want to see. And spent too much time making ST look like anything but ST which sits so well with Trekkies...not.

• Like 1

I'm intrigued by this run now. If it does underperform over the weekend there will be no obvious reason why. Highlighting the villain, albeit an unknown one, is not a bad strategy for a sequel.

Edited by Hatebox

Today is the real test for Trek. Pretty much no one knew it was out on Thurs, and besides that, the reason G.I. Joe did great on Thursday was Spring Break, which Trek doesn't have. Thursday openings are still stupid imo

I'm intrigued by this run now. If it does underperform over the weekend there will be no obvious reason why. Highlighting the villain, albeit an unknown one, is not a bad strategy for a sequel.

yes it is. You highlight what people want to see not what you believe they should see. IM3 didn`t make a mistake of sidelining Tony in favor of Mandarin.

• Like 2

Paramount should just make Michael Bay CEO now and get it over with.

I'm betting both TF4 and Ninja Turtles will be far more profitable than Star Trek 2 which Paramount was hoping would solidify another cash cow.

• Like 1

I don't think you guys need to worry. It was horribly advertised in regards to letting the public know it was being released on Thursday instead of Friday.

It'll do well today, I'm sure.

• Like 3

The film's main villain issue was that for the majority of the film the actual villain is someone different than advertised in the trailers, tv spots, etc and he's not all that well-written.

That said, the film could have gone an interesting route with this and how they could put a spin on the iconic character who wasn't much of a villain at all in the middle hour + of the film, but it just decided to default back to the classic Botany Bay/Star Trek II stuff.

Edited by 4815162342

It's amazing how so many of us now know why it's under performing already.  Amazing that just a month ago, many people had Trek at 250-300, if not more.  Now everyone knows that it's:

1) bad marketing

2) release date change

3) bad villain

4) bad posters

5) too much action

6) just made for trekkies

7) kids are still in school

8) American Idol finale was on

9) The Office/Big Ban Theory final show

10) Have to save money for next weekend

Hindsite is great.

• Like 3