filmnerdjamie

Thursday Numbers (05/30)

It's called 10 years of inflation and 3D; which much more popular OS than DOM. Also, the attendance isn't even close.

Attendance was never going to be close, because in the last 10 years technology has changed to the point that less people overall are going to theatres. Do you really think Sony were upset at a gross almost $200M more than the previous film? 

Even if you disregard the overseas grosses, the second film lost $60M from the first, the third only lost $11M from the second. With average WOM from what was generally considered to be an unnecessary sequel, I don't see how the film could have hoped to make much more than it did.

The era of star power is not over- people will still go see certain movies for stars IF they deliver what is expected by the star. Seven Pounds was terrible marketing for Smith, no one wanted to see stuffy ass J. Edgar even for Leo, and something like Side Effects didn't play into the charming/handsome wheelhouse that draw people to Tatum. Liam Neeson is the biggest star in Hollywood when he's doing lone badass action movies, but nobody gives a damn about him in Wrath of the Titans. The only person who can draw across pretty much any genre/advertising lines since Will's hiatus is Denzel, but I think Gatsby is evidence that Leo is king right now, followed by RDJ. 

Channing Tatum has no star power in the overseas market and unless WHD makes $200 million I am not going to get on Tatum bandwagon either. His only breakout movies (over-performers) are Jump Street and Magic Mike. Both were good movies with good WOM and he had help in terms of co-stars. Box Office superstars like Smith, Tom Cruise, Arnie etc. never needed any suhc help when they opened movies to huge numbers.

The Vow made over 100m. Sorry movie but Tatum was a co lead.

The era of star power is not over- people will still go see certain movies for stars IF they deliver what is expected by the star. Seven Pounds was terrible marketing for Smith, no one wanted to see stuffy ass J. Edgar even for Leo, and something like Side Effects didn't play into the charming/handsome wheelhouse that draw people to Tatum. Liam Neeson is the biggest star in Hollywood when he's doing lone badass action movies, but nobody gives a damn about him in Wrath of the Titans. The only person who can draw across pretty much any genre/advertising lines since Will's hiatus is Denzel, but I think Gatsby is evidence that Leo is king right now, followed by RDJ. 

None of these stars have any extraordinary Box Office pull. They look good only in comparison. Leo and Denzel can give you $100 million or so Box Office consistently if they are in the right movie. RDJ has one $100 million non-franchise movie and he had help with Zach Galifianakis and it was a movie directed by The Hangover helmer. Johnny Depp has a similar track record and this is why he is sticking to sequels as well.

None of these stars have any extraordinary Box Office pull. They look good only in comparison. Leo and Denzel can give you $100 million or so Box Office consistently if they are in the right movie. RDJ has one $100 million non-franchise movie and he had help with Zach Galifianakis and it was a movie directed by The Hangover helmer. Johnny Depp has a similar track record and this is why he is sticking to sequels as well.

I'm pretty sure giving you 100 million for pretty much any movie that isn't a disaster qualifies as "extraordinary box office pull," as are numbers like the ones that Neeson drew for Taken 2 and Tatum drew for Magic Mike/The Vow. RDJ doesn't have big box office hits outside of franchises because he doesn't DO movies outside of two franchises, pretty much. Dude's a huge star. 

I'm pretty sure giving you 100 million for pretty much any movie that isn't a disaster qualifies as "extraordinary box office pull," as are numbers like the ones that Neeson drew for Taken 2 and Tatum drew for Magic Mike/The Vow. RDJ doesn't have big box office hits outside of franchises because he doesn't DO movies outside of two franchises, pretty much. Dude's a huge star. 

So you are saying that the Box Office stardom era is over . Right ? $100 million Box Office for studio movies is nothing these days when the total production + P&A cost of a mid-budget movie often tops $100 million.

I think Denzel will be a consistent drawing power for a long time. 

I never understood the 'Denzel is a drawing power' arguement.

His movies are pretty consistent, yes. But not for the right reasons.

His movies pretty consistently fail to double their production budgets (which is generally regarded as an indicator of a movie being a 'success').

So you are saying that the Box Office stardom era is over . Right ? $100 million Box Office for studio movies is nothing these days when the total production + P&A cost of a mid-budget movie often tops $100 million.

That's not true at all. Giving a movie a large opening weekend and becoming one of the primary reasons a movie is a big hit is an exceptional showcase of box office power. Sure, Safe House or Gatsby didn't have incredible legs, but they had tons of buzz and huge openings, based largely around the lead actor. Stars will always be draws, in the right capacity. People just don't stop caring about their favorite actors all of a sudden.

That's not true at all. Giving a movie a large opening weekend and becoming one of the primary reasons a movie is a big hit is an exceptional showcase of box office power. Sure, Safe House or Gatsby didn't have incredible legs, but they had tons of buzz and huge openings, based largely around the lead actor. Stars will always be draws, in the right capacity. People just don't stop caring about their favorite actors all of a sudden.

People stop caring if their favorite actors stop caring.

People stop caring if their favorite actors stop caring.

True. Maybe Big Willie Style loses a ton of his fanbase because of crap like After Earth- I know I don't care about him like I used to. But that doesn't mean that actors can't be draws. 

I think Denzel will be a consistent drawing power for a long time. 

Only domestically and even there, it's all relative since his movies barely match the investment cost on its main market, the domestic one...sometimes they are just under that cost. 

Each of his action movie end up lower than the domestic take on the overseas market. They never crack $100 million overseas except for American Gangster.  If my memory serves me well he has only two movies that have reached $200 million ww, which is not that good for action movies that have the usual $80 - $100 million investment cost. They barely break even or miss it slightly many times.

Edited by Ent

HOLY CRAP 

Theater Ticket Sales Update - Now You See Me outselling After Earth almost 2 to 1 today.Multiple shows in the later rounds sold out for Now You See Me but the After Earth shows are less than half full right now.

http://www.hsx.com/forum/forum.php?id=3&pid=236021

after earth looks boring. Who's going to pick that movie over NYSM,FF6,TGG,ST,IM3

• Like 1

The Last Airbender did it.  I know it was in July but still...it got 6% at RT, was able to open at 40+ million and fnishing at 130+ million.

You also forget that it opened on Thursday.

So the multi from the 4 day weekend is only 2.3.

I was one of the people who knew NYSM would break out. While I did think AE would open higher (obviously I was wrong), I did think NYSM would be a success. The all-star cast and the original concept gave it strength against AE, which had the same generic plot as any other "ambitious" sci-fi movie.