#ED

Wknd Est: Purge - 36.6M; FF6 - 19.7M; NYSM - 19.5M; Intern - 18.1M; Epic - 12.1M; STiD- 11.7M;

Conspiracy theorist thinking that in 10 years this really will happen...

Conspiracy theory: it already happens secretly, the general public just doesn't know about it. The government contracts with freelance nutjobs to keep the general population base in a constant state of low-level fear.

Wow, 16 million + would be an amazing start for The Purge ... hell, I think I figured only high teens total for the weekend a few weeks back.  16 would guarantee 30 ... but not sure how much more due to that 3.4 midnight ... I suppose could go as high as 35, but probably not.  More likely 32 or 33, especially if it sucks.

... nice box office lift on a weekend that looks like a lost cause after AE left.

Edited by agkman

Conspiracy theory: it already happens secretly, the general public just doesn't know about it. The government contracts with freelance nutjobs to keep the general population base in a constant state of low-level fear.

A comforting lie told to protect us.

Huge number for The Purge if true. The Purge OD >> Internship OW?  :blink:

Owen Wilson doen't have any star power; in fact, he is closer to being box office poison given the last few years. But reuniting him with Vince Vaugh might have added a nostalgia element tho.

Well the Internship really is not a teen audience type film one must remember-older audiences would enjoy it more due to the toughness of finding a job.

So I guess there will be no "calm" before the storm.

I'm not sure if there will be any storm, to be honest. MoS will open less than the first Iron Man adjusted for sure, perhaps even less than the unadjusted $98M figure. The only reason why 100M is on the table is Nolan's presence as a producer. But James Cameron's films that he only produced but not directed always flopped on the other hand.

I'm not sure if there will be any storm, to be honest. MoS will open less than the first Iron Man adjusted for sure, perhaps even less than the unadjusted $98M figure. The only reason why 100M is on the table is Nolan's presence as a producer. But James Cameron's films that he only produced but not directed always flopped on the other hand.

Cameron never helped write those films he only produced, though. Nolan had a hand in the story for Man of Steel.

I hope the Purge goes over 30M. I want over 30M movies in every weekend until mid August.

It's apparently not very good. I don't understand why people want movies to do well regardless of their quality. 

Still not shocked at all by the Purge. Uni was brilliant letting this market itself.Also my cousin, 21, her bf and little sis saw Internship today, she said she laughed several times.

Edited by jandrew