#ED

Wknd Est: Purge - 36.6M; FF6 - 19.7M; NYSM - 19.5M; Intern - 18.1M; Epic - 12.1M; STiD- 11.7M;

really though how do you think Will Smith will react to the complete failure of AE. And will Shyamalan still be able to get work?

Will Smith is going to be fine you're not going to see him in some direct to DVD films anytime soon. Shamaylan that might start happening

The Purge proves that horror can be a hit during anytime of the year. Hollywood usually waits until August and the Fall to release its horror films. There's no reason there can't be some earlier, as this and The Conjuring will prove.

I don't see it dropping 60% drops for the next weekends. I think 50% drop during MoS weekend and it will crawl to 60M after that. This isn't a “Gigli” type of movie......

I actually think it will take MoS' arrival harder than nearly all other holdovers. As the least liked movie playing right now, it'll be the first to go. I wouldn't be surprised to see a 70% drop. 

really though how do you think Will Smith will react to the complete failure of AE. And will Shyamalan still be able to get work?

I don't think Will Smith's career will be damaged at all by this and I don't think he'd care much at all because his son and him already received their paychecks..... Shyalaman career is already on rock bottom, but he'll still continue to get work. Maybe not as large of a budget. I think people are overeacting to AE BO numbers. It can still cross 200M WW, which isn't as catastrophic as Battleship, John Carter or Jack the Giant Slayer because it has a lower budget......

• Founder / Operator

I was absent for the last few days, was this expected for Purge? I didn't even know this was getting released until this week.

Not really. A lot of people saw it breaking out, but $16.7m opening day? That's incredible.

I had it at $19m for the weekend. :lol:

• Like 1

Not really. A lot of people saw it breaking out, but $16.7m opening day? That's incredible. I had it at $19m for the weekend. :lol:

I told you to believe, Shawn!! Haha, im not shocked at all.
  • Like 1

Not really. A lot of people saw it breaking out, but $16.7m opening day? That's incredible.

I had it at $19m for the weekend. :lol:

That's your ignorance. I saw a $16.7m Friday for The Purge ages ago. 

• Like 2

I don't think Will Smith's career will be damaged at all by this and I don't think he'd care much at all because his son and him already received their paychecks.....

Yeah, he'll probably just do a franchise movie or two and some Oscahbait flicks and he'll be fine

I hope he's really kicking himself for turning down Django

Awesome for $20M second weekend of NYSM! :D

Any chance for NYSM over FF6 and STID over AE?

Here's the thing. NYSM was already starting to get higher weekdays than FF6, but FF6 got back ahead on Friday, albeit in estimates and by a rather small margin. So it's suggestive that FF6 will play the weekend better. Then again, considering these are estimates and it's a small margin, anything can happen.

I can tell you what went right for the Purge: No matter how it was executed, it had an interesting concept, and it did an incredible job marketing to young people and gaining hype on social media. Buzz was huge for this movie. 

Exactly!  The Purge peaked on Twitter at over 200k tweets (according to BO.Com).

It was the concept and young people ate it up. Not everybody liked it but it was intriguing enough to get them into the theaters. Now how it will hold up is another matter entirely.  But it's already profitable on OD alone.

• Like 3

Smith probably has a renewed interest in doing Men in Black 4 that he said he didn't have a couple weeks ago.

They could do a Purge movie every year.  The concept is just awesome and kinda impossible to run out of things to do for it.  If sequels happen, hopefully they explore the idea a lot more instead of making another generic home invasion movie.

Good for Ethan Hawke- he's on a nice little streak, with Sinister and the Purge being hits and Before Midnight being a critical darling. Always liked that guy. And Queen Cersei, of course! 

• Like 1