CJohn

Puss in Boots 2: The Last Wish | December 21, 2022 | 8th Most Profitable Movie of 2022

As I mentioned in the weekend thread, I loved this.  It's the best animated I've watched this year.

I really didn't dislike anything about this movie, which is unusual.  It had good story, good pacing, good villain, good heart, good message, good humor, good standalone while still staying in series...everything's good, which makes the whole thing great b/c a movie is more than the sum of its parts:).

Heck, I even liked its "theme song" which comes back a few times.  If they had gotten that song wrong...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 4

PVOD Date is January 17th.

Screenshot-2022-12-29-at-12-43-11.png

2 Weeks before the UK Cinema Release.

There may also be another Bad Guys situation where the earlier International theatrical release meant the PVOD was online a couple hours before the US theatrical premier. The rollout for Puss in Boots means it is possible for the film to be online anytime between the end of this week to Jan 17th.

Edited by AJG
  • ...wtf 1
  • Disbelief 1

8 hours ago, Alex SciChannel said:

But why? This will have much better legs than the Bad Guys. Why are they releasing it so much closer to the theatrical release than that film did? It makes no sense

PVOD doesn’t really affect domestic performance and only slightly more than OS. Look at Sing 2 for instance.

The reaction to "Pionnichio" just proves what I always thought: People love to say they want new takes and ideas on classic stories, but if somebody does something that really is different and a new take. the same people generally hate it.

It has a lot of flaws, but still is the best of the lot.

I don't get the love for Turning Red, which I thought was only OK.

Edited by dudalb
  • Like 1

On 12/29/2022 at 12:45 PM, AJG said:

PVOD Date is January 17th.

Screenshot-2022-12-29-at-12-43-11.png

2 Weeks before the UK Cinema Release.

There may also be another Bad Guys situation where the earlier International theatrical release meant the PVOD was online a couple hours before the US theatrical premier. The rollout for Puss in Boots means it is possible for the film to be online anytime between the end of this week to Jan 17th.

BTW this has been brought FORWARD.

NEW streaming date is January 6th

Three days from today.

• Heart 2
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1
  • ...wtf 1
  • Knock It Off 1

7 hours ago, 3RIC said:

This is the funniest thing ever lol. These studios really do not care anymore.

They really don't. It's almost like they're annoyed that theatres aren't completely dead. You just know a lot of executives wanted to move full steam ahead with streaming already.

On 1/3/2023 at 2:17 AM, AJG said:

BTW this has been brought FORWARD.

NEW streaming date is January 6th

Three days from today.

Yeah so this has just flooded the internet. Best of luck to them.

Now, we don’t currently have a confirmed date for M3GAN. It’s a 2023 release, and it’s entirely possible that Universal’s windowing strategy has changed from this year. If everything’s still the same than the PVOD date is 23rd Jan.

Another interesting tidbit: Paramount believed in Babylon so much that the current Metadata from Amazon has it listed for February 20th. Roughly a 60 day window. It’ll likely shrink but still…

On 1/3/2023 at 1:43 AM, Verrows said:

They really don't. It's almost like they're annoyed that theatres aren't completely dead. You just know a lot of executives wanted to move full steam ahead with streaming already.

In a few years, movie theaters will be like live stage theaters or the film "art Houses" right now.

ANd it has reached the point where I don't care. I have not been happy with the limited choices I have had for years; serious dramas get few theatrical releases; it;s pretty much a choich between sci fi and cbm blickbusters, horror movies and comedies. I only go to a movie maybe six times a year , I used to go a lot more. They are just not making enough films I would pay to go see.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, dudalb said:

In a few years, movie theaters will be like live stage theaters or the film "art Houses" right now.

ANd it has reached the point where I don't care. I have not been happy with the limited choices I have had for years; serious dramas get few theatrical releases; it;s pretty much a choich between sci fi and cbm blickbusters, horror movies and comedies. I only go to a movie maybe six times a year , I used to go a lot more. They are just not making enough films I would pay to go see.

Fair enough. Hopefully studios actually care about opinions these days and decide to put some heart and effort into rekindling people's interest. But like I said, I doubt it because they seem actually quite eager to move on from theatres. I don't buy completely that it's the market that's deciding this.

Universal also has bragging rights with Puss in Boots: The Last Wish at 3,641 theaters: The DreamWorks Animation title will fly past the century mark by Monday with $109M. The pic’s fourth Friday is $3M, -10% 3-day $12.4M (-8%) and 4-day $16M in fourth place. Behold, the great box office here as the movie is also available on PVOD given Universal’s 17-day exclusive theatrical window policy for titles that open to less than $50M.

Should be at 100$m by Monday