CJohn

Puss in Boots 2: The Last Wish | December 21, 2022 | 8th Most Profitable Movie of 2022

Surely this has to be in competition for best legs ever for a sequel right? Already over a 9x multiplier and will almost certainly get a lot more than that

All the handwringing about the VOD release on the last page sure looks silly now. Ofc it's apparently at a $30 price point so only really worth it for big families where a theater outing is too much of a logistical ordeal.

Edited by AniNate

On 1/14/2023 at 12:44 PM, CoolioD1 said:

this was ok. cool animation very enjoyable first 20 minutes or so but still feels very standard when the actual story kicks in.

this was good . very cool animation, amazingly enjoyable first 20 minutes or so but still feels very standard when the actual story kicks in.

Edited by interiorgatordecorator

4 minutes ago, grim22 said:

the top three highest grossing animated films of the 20s so far are (will soon be) all Universal films. they're kinda schooling Disney at this. will continue this year when mario makes more than wish and elemental combined.

Honestly, even if they put Encanto or Lightyear on the service like three months or even six months after its theatrical release, it wouldn't really change much for their box office. The convenience of Disney+ is just too tempting and people are willing to wait a bit to see something for free, especially when it's not a Marvel/Star Wars joint where you have to catch it before you're spoiled on Twitter. Don't know what that means for the future of WDAS and Pixar, but it doesn't seem like much has changed in terms of budgets or layoffs there.

• Like 1
  • Knock It Off 1

Those movies aren't the best examples. Encanto was also released when Omicron was starting to freak everyone out so I don't think Disney can really be blamed for its strategy there. Turning Red though almost certainly would've benefited from a theater release, perhaps coupled with a high-price point PVOD release like what Puss had here to cater to big families and others who maybe still didn't feel safe venturing out.

I think the industry badly needed some kind of leggy hit like this, both to show families would still go to theaters and that they could still be convinced to through word-of-mouth. 

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 5

4 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Those movies aren't the best examples. Encanto was also released when Omicron was starting to freak everyone out so I don't think Disney can really be blamed for its strategy there. Turning Red though almost certainly would've benefited from a theater release, perhaps coupled with a high-price point PVOD release like what Puss had here to cater to big families and others who maybe still didn't feel safe venturing out.

I think the industry badly needed some kind of leggy hit like this, both to show families would still go to theaters and that they could still be convinced to through word-of-mouth. 

Definitely would have had better legs...

So, if anything, the main takeaway is to make good movies that appeal to audiences. Lightyear hadconfusing marketing, an even more confusing premise and so-so reception. Puss in Boots had a clearer premise, better promotion, and had less competition along with better word of mouth. Good God, all of the hand wringing and knee jerk reactions are giving me a migraine.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Eric is Missing said:

Honestly, even if they put Encanto or Lightyear on the service like three months or even six months after its theatrical release, it wouldn't really change much for their box office. The convenience of Disney+ is just too tempting and people are willing to wait a bit to see something for free, especially when it's not a Marvel/Star Wars joint where you have to catch it before you're spoiled on Twitter. Don't know what that means for the future of WDAS and Pixar, but it doesn't seem like much has changed in terms of budgets or layoffs there.

Yeah, the Disney brand is too synonymous with streaming at this point. Soul and Luca being sent straight to Plus was just the beginning, and Encanto not being a real hit until its Plus release was the tipping point. Families have had a lot to deal with these past couple of years, so waiting for Disney-branded movies to hit Plus is a far more budget-friendly option for them in the face of inflation.

Illumination and DreamWorks don't have that association, since almost no one gives a shit about Peacock, which is why they're the new kings of the hill now. And depending on how Spider-Verse performs Sony might have a seat at the new table as well.

• Like 1

I'm certain a good Disney movie can still get butts in theaters. I sure as hell hope Iger isn't drawing the same hasty conclusions people here are from one movie released right before a big covid surge and one mediocrity that would have been a flop whenever it was released 

If anything, Puss is just more evidence that all the dooming during covid was short sighted. People still want to go to theaters, it's just taking some much longer than others to be comfortable with it again.

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 8

I really think Puss is being helped by its WOM spreading on social media, especially TikTok, which skews younger. It's a possibility that a lot of kids are seeing Puss in Boots tiktoks, think it looks cool, and ask their parents to see it

4 minutes ago, Alex SciChannel said:

Oh hell yea

There's tough competition, though. PINOCCHIO has 9 noms and TURNING RED has 7. I think Pinocchio will win Best Feature, but all these three films were great. I'm just happy for Dreamworks, to be honest. They were in the shadow of Disney and Pixar for a long time. I hope these successes inspire them more.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

There's tough competition, though. PINOCCHIO has 9 noms and TURNING RED has 7. I think Pinocchio will win Best Feature, but all these three films were great. I'm just happy for Dreamworks, to be honest. They were in the shadow of Disney and Pixar for a long time. I hope these successes inspire them more.

also Puss didn't nab a best direction nom, i guess that kills it chances for best animated feature.

• Sad 1