#ED

Wknd Est: DM2 - 44.7M ; GU2 - 42.5M; PR - 38.3M; Heat - 14M; TLR - 11.1M; MU - 10.6M (PG 100)

not that I'm piling on you, but the problem with statements like this is unless you talked to a thousand or million people, the dozen or so people in your sample of friends does not reflect the rest of the general movie going audience. It's always funny seeing people say "who said (insert movie) was so well loved!? All my friends and I hated it." Well sorry to say, but you and your bff Tobey don't speak for us all.

The problem I have is not that people like crap like Grown Ups or Grown Ups 2, but the fact that people can't even rationalize WHY they like these films. Just about everything Adam Sandler has put out in the last decade has been objectively terrible, I could go through each of his films and give you point by point examples of why they are terrible, but when I ask someone why they liked it, you can never get a more detailed answer than "I don't know, I thought it was funny".

Apparently, yeah. It's kinda hard to recognize sarcasm from a one word sentence, without hearing the tone of the voice.

Or you could have noticed my posting history regarding MOS which I am active in

Edited by Hasan Ahmad

Unrelenting competitions and theater drops will likely cause the holdovers to continue to drop hard in the following weeks

Something to remember in the coming years

I'd find it very hard not to think someone's a bit simple (or 'retarded' if we're being politically correct) for liking GU2. I just can't help it.

A lot of people don't see the medium film as high art whether it is The King's Speech or Grown Ups. You cannot assess one's intelligence based on the films they like, it is just not possible. There are many intellectuals who see movies as pure escapism and enjoy laughing at Sandler's, for example, antics before returnng to their work. I definitely don't fall in that camp and I think that film is one of the great art forms, but not everyone sees it that way. I have a friend who is rather brilliant who thinks Dinner for Schmucks and That's My Boy are the greatest. To her,they are just hilarious flicks and she's not analyzing the story as if it was written by Fualkner. Lots of people just look at places other than film for intellectual stimulation and that is understandable even though I think film can be at the highest or arts.
  • Like 6

All in all a bad opening for Pacific Rim, though it could have been worse in light of the tracking numbers. I know WB doesn't give a crap about it since they only paid 25% of the production costs, but Legendary has got to hope for some great legs.

Go and see it.

And speaking of summer B.O. duds, Sony’s “After Earth” bowed decently in China this weekend, earning $11.6 million (roughly 25% bigger than “Oblivion”) and pushing the pic’s overseas tally to $155.4 million. The film crossed the $200 million mark this weekend, though it’s done expanding overseas.

Posted Image

• Like 3

The problem I have is not that people like crap like Grown Ups or Grown Ups 2, but the fact that people can't even rationalize WHY they like these films. Just about everything Adam Sandler has put out in the last decade has been objectively terrible, I could go through each of his films and give you point by point examples of why they are terrible, but when I ask someone why they liked it, you can never get a more detailed answer than "I don't know, I thought it was funny".

I thought it was hilariously funny as did my wife and son. I can't really explain it. Just like I can't explain why my wife thinks Sandler is funny but dislikes Carrey. Figure that one out! :)The majority of the audience was cracking up at all the right moments. I thought it was better than the first.
  • Like 1

After Earth is dead. Opened this weekend in his last market, here. Even if it turned into a mega-blockbuster, which it didn't, it would still be a flop.

Man ... PR will probably be under 37.5 in finals due to the 15% Sunday projection being too small ...

which REALLY sucks for me now, because that movie is FUCKING AWESOME!!!

Favorite movie of the summer ... 9/10. :D

I'll hope for 38/125+

Edited by Adam
  • Like 1

According to celebritynetworth.com, Sandler is worth $300m. Even with the success he's had, that figure is still crazy to me.

He's been getting $20 million+ for every comedy for a decade or more (plus the smaller "drama" and voice-over paychecks) and because he owns the production company his box office, home video and TV licensing royalties have to be insane.

According to celebritynetworth.com, Sandler is worth $300m. Even with the success he's had, that figure is still crazy to me.

Sandler in the past has been one of the most consistent box office draws.

For a while every movie he made was a guaranteed 125+ m DOM and they all had lower budgets than most blockbusters.